Why would Ellyn Reyne borrow money from the Lannisters?

After Ellyn Reyne was married to Lord Walderran Tarbeck and Tytos succeeded his father she got her brothers to borrow money for her from CR. Why not just borrow money from the Reynes who were her birth family and fabulously rich?

Why not get practically free gold from the weakling Tytos who'd never truly demand the money back if that was an option? Not to mention that the mines of Castamere had already ran out of gold so Reynes might not had had that much to loan.

Why not get practically free gold from the weakling Tytos who'd never truly demand the money back if that was an option? Not to mention that the mines of Castamere had already ran out of gold so Reynes might not had had that much to loan.

IIRC weren't the Reynes described as "old, rich, and powerful"? And Greatjon captured the Castamere mines during the Westerlands raids. I highly doubt he took the mines for shits and giggles.

Ellyn wasn't psychic. She'd consistently ridden roughshod over the Lannisters for years and the only one of them who'd ever stood up to her before then - Gerold - was long dead. Tytos was basically just handing out free money, and borrowing from him weakened his position while giving her money to invest: it's win-win.

To Ellyn, it probably looked as if the house of Lannister was in terminal decline. Tywin's turning out to be nothing like his father, asserting himself at such a young age, and restoration of his family fortunes was far from predictable, or a safe bet. He is, after all, a "man who comes only once every thousand years".

Cat of Rivers, Castamere is still flooded, the Great Jon captured the gold mines at the Crag. Castameres mines ran out of gold as per TWOIAF.

"The Westerling mines had failed years ago, their best lands sold off or lost, and the Crag was more ruin than stronghold."

Tyrion III ASOS

"Lords Karstark and Glover were raiding along the coast, Lady Mormont had captured thousands of cattle and was driving them back toward Riverrun, while the Greatjon had seized the gold mines at Castamere, Nunn's Deep, and the Pendric Hills."

Catelyn V ACOK

IIRC weren't the Reynes described as "old, rich, and powerful"? And Greatjon captured the Castamere mines during the Westerlands raids. I highly doubt he took the mines for shits and giggles.

It's convenient I've had this conversation earlier too, so I remember where to look for the quote.

Rich veins of gold and silver had made the Reynes near as wealthy as the Lannisters during the Age of Heroes; to defend their riches, they had raised curtain walls about the entrance to their mine, closed it with an oak-and-iron gate, and flanked it with a pair of stout towers. Keeps and halls had followed, but all the while the mineshafts had gone deeper and deeper, and when at last the gold gave out, they had been widened into halls and galleries and snug bedchambers, a warren of tunnels and a vast, echoing ballroom.

Archived