Jorah touching people while he has Greyscale?

The show runners already mentioned that greyscale is highly contagious and can even be contracted from objects handled by an infected person. So I'm gonna side with Borodin on this one that they're being moronic and inconsistent with their handling of the disease. They've broken their own cannon. Also Jorah would never go around touching everybody, especially not Dany, knowing he could possibly infect her. HE doesn't know how contagious it is. Or isn't.

I noticed that the show focused on that moment when Dany took Jorah's hand . . . and then they focused on the moment when Dany and Missandei held hands (close-up on their hands held together). It made me wonder if Dany may be immune (since she's a Targaryan), but she's still a carrier. In which case, I'm a bit afraid for Missandei (which is going to make Grey Worm very unhappy!).

D1: *ring ring*

D2: Hello?

D1: He David, it's me. Say I just checked the message boards and we royal screwed up.

D2: What do you mean? Let me guess. More book purist nonsense? When will they ever learn?

D1: No. Remember how we thought it would be cool if Jorah got greyscale?

D2: Of course. It was genius.

D1: Well, remember we wrote that scene were Jorah takes Daenerys' hand while rescuing her.

D2: Ahh, frick.

D1: Yep.

D2: He would never do that. Oh my God, how did we not see that gaping plot hole? We even showed all those hand-holding close-ups to reinforce the closeness of all the characters under attack. What a disaster.

D1: Well, I got an idea. How about she can't get greyscale?

D2: Cool. That doesn't really solve anything, but let's do that. Say, have you asked the interns for any more plot advice? I'm tapped out.

Ugh. Look. The question is not whether Daenerys has greyscale or not. The question is why on earth Jorah would ever, even for a moment, think it was a good idea to hold hands with the woman he loves, unecessarily risking even the remotest possibility that he has just given her a death sentence.

In what universe does Jorah McGreyscale casually hold hands with his beloved Daenerys?

Answer: The universe of terrible writing.

I don't think you get to stop and think about those things when you are facing a murderous horde of masked harpies. At this point, get her out and if you give her GS, so be it. Without your help in that moment, she may be dead anyway.

I don't think you get to stop and think about those things when you are facing a murderous horde of masked harpies. At this point, get her out and if you give her GS, so be it. Without your help in that moment, she may be dead anyway.

Right. "As I stare deep into your eyes and the world slows down around us, Khaleesi, I forget in this precious moment that I have a deadly infectious disease which may be passed on to you, love of my life, if you but touch me. So take my hand. DOH!!!"

Right. "As I stare deep into your eyes and the world slows down around us, Khaleesi, I forget in this precious moment that I have a deadly infectious disease which may be passed on to you, love of my life, if you but touch me. So take my hand. DOH!!!"

Maybe it is only contagious if you touch an infected area. Maybe she is actually immune and they are aware of this, considering well fire didn't kill her. Maybe it was a risk he was willing to take to save her in that instance.

Maybe it is only contagious if you touch an infected area. Maybe she is actually immune and they are aware of this, considering well fire didn't kill her. Maybe it was a risk he was willing to take to save her in that instance.

But it was not a risk he had to take. Far from it. You don't have to hold hands with someone to save them. Especially if you have a deadly communicable disease.

Well the only place he has it is on his wrist. I don't remember for sure but I think that was the hand he reached into the water to save Tyrion. I agree that the Targ immunity is a big source for the possible Targ link with Tyrion. I also figured they were just replacing the Bloody Flux outbreak with a Greyscale one. Maybe he knows that since he has Greyscale he's going to die and he knows she won't ever love him and he's trying to spread it; Revenge of the Friendzoned.

I'm gonna chalk that up to D&D's lack of continuity/assumption that their viewers are easily distracted morons who won't notice that sort of thing. Jorah's grescale spread really fast when he first got it, covering a big patch of his arm almost immediately after contracting it, now it has slowed down and he keeps touching everybody and nothing happens. He's touched Tyrion and the slavers multiple times and they don't have it.

This. Don't overthink stuff like that in the show. This is the same show that accidentally told Gendry to row in circles around an island. Continuity is not their strong suit.

Lack of continuity? Are we watching the same show? This is a MASSIVE storyline with connections being built up over lengthy periods of time. Compared to other adaptions from book to tv/movie, I'd say D&D are doing a better job than any before, IMHO. Just look at how much material they're producing every year. 10 hours of the most expensive production in history is simply incomparable to anything else. It took over 4 years to produce 3 LOTR's movies, which gave us roughly 11 hours of material. D&D have now made 49 hours of material in 5 years. Incomparable. It is simply not possible to include every character and event in such a mammoth storyline. You have to consolidate. And D&D have material from not only TWOW to work with, but ADOS as well. D&D, and GRRM have all stated that no matter the plot changes, the show and the book will end at the same place. Do you really think Gendry is rowing in circles? That wasn't even a funny joke when it was originally posted.

Jorah getting greyscale at all is a consolidation of events and characters cut from the show.

As far as Jorah infecting others, I would suggest reading "This" post

And even in the story about Shireen, Stannis was told to send her off before greyscale would start spreading. That leaves a strong possibility that it could be OK to touch before a certain time. I think that it isn't too hard to imagine that it is only fully contagious when it is in a later state.

As for people who mentioned Shireen getting it from a doll, it could be a lot like Ebola in that a person isn't contagious until later stages but at that time (later stages) even their bodily fluids could be highly contagious.

And from wiki on greyscale:

About

It generally affects children, especially in cold damp climates. The victims are disfigured but also rendered immune to the rarer fatal form and to the grey plague. The free folk consider people who survive greyscale unclean.[2]Tyrion Lannister believes that Garin's Curse is only greyscale.[3]

If a person has been exposed to greyscale they can prick each of their toes and fingers every day with a knife to check for infection. So long as the pricks hurt, they are safe. It is only when they cannot feel the blade that they will have cause to fear that they have contracted greyscale.

Treatment

Maesters say its progress could be stayed by limes, mustard poultices, and scalding-hot baths. Septons insist that prayer, sacrifice and fasting are the cure. It is also colloquially believed that severing any affected appendages may stop the disease from spreading, but this treatment is not always effective.

Some say that washing a person with vinegar helps prevent the greyscale. Haldon is inclined to doubt the vinegar wash, but he sees no harm in trying it.

The show runners already mentioned that greyscale is highly contagious and can even be contracted from objects handled by an infected person. So I'm gonna side with Borodin on this one that they're being moronic and inconsistent with their handling of the disease. They've broken their own cannon. Also Jorah would never go around touching everybody, especially not Dany, knowing he could possibly infect her. HE doesn't know how contagious it is. Or isn't.

Moronic and inconsistent... LMAO! More like brilliant!

Be patient... The dots will all be connected eventually

I'd like to point out that while the show established that contaminated items that come into contact with infected person can themselves pass on infection, it does not specify how. So it would seem to make more sense that an infectious item (such as Shireen's doll) would have to come into contact with the actual infected area of the person's skin to be infectious. Otherwise anything a Greyscale victim touched would spread it like the plague.

If Greyscale is an allergic reaction (like poison ivy) rather than a proper virus, that could explain why some people get it and some people don't.

Though the idea that Ser Jorah is unwittingly bringing the "pale mare" version of greyscale to town is interesting.

D1: *ring ring*

D2: Hello?

D1: He David, it's me. Say I just checked the message boards and we royal screwed up.

D2: What do you mean? Let me guess. More book purist nonsense? When will they ever learn?

D1: No. Remember how we thought it would be cool if Jorah got greyscale?

D2: Of course. It was genius.

D1: Well, remember we wrote that scene were Jorah takes Daenerys' hand while rescuing her.

D2: Ahh, frick.

D1: Yep.

D2: He would never do that. Oh my God, how did we not see that gaping plot hole? We even showed all those hand-holding close-ups to reinforce the closeness of all the characters under attack. What a disaster.

D1: Well, I got an idea. How about she can't get greyscale?

D2: Cool. That doesn't really solve anything, but let's do that. Say, have you asked the interns for any more plot advice? I'm tapped out.

A simple google of greyscale would remove the need to make assumptions... Just sayin...

Nothing in the show is an accident. You guys are making way too big a deal about Jorah being contagious. At this stage of his infection, the chances of passing to others is slim. Especially since he has the infected area covered and hidden.

And the books highly implied that the Targaryens are immune to greyscale. D&D are adapting the book into a TV show. Not writing any old BS that comes to mind.

A simple google of greyscale would remove the need to make assumptions... Just sayin...

Nothing in the show is an accident. You guys are making way too big a deal about Jorah being contagious. At this stage of his infection, the chances of passing to others is slim. Especially since he has the infected area covered and hidden.

And the books highly implied that the Targaryens are immune to greyscale. D&D are adapting the book into a TV show. Not writing any old BS that comes to mind.

You didn't read that little exchange very well. The point is not whether Jorah is contagious or whether Daenerys is immune; the point is that Jorah would never touch her knowing he had greyscale and there was even a remote chance that he could pass along a death sentence to her. It make no sense.

This also raises a good point. In the books JonCon is running around with Greyscale presumably in contact with Aegon and his camp.

Archived