Ancestors of House Dayne?

purple-eyes

Duly noted, but I didn't put you in a corner--I told you to put yourself in a corner.  ;)

No.  Fan fic = fan fic.  I've written fan fic. I know what it is.  Theories are not the same thing.

Whether or not a theory can be proven at this point cannot be determined because the series it not over.  Baseless is a matter of opinion.

LOL.  Do you think the Valyrians got those traits out of thin air?  Why is it not possible that both the Daynes and the later appearing Valyrians might have descended from the same pre-First Men race?

If the Daynes had gotten those traits from marrying into a Valyrian house, that would actually mean they ARE part Valyrian. Elizabeth Taylor however, is not.  Not even a little bit.  Obviously a house founded thousands of years before Valyria existed are not Valyrian.  But they could actually have the same ancestors.  The Daynes and Valyrians, of course, not Liz.

1: Yes, when your theory requires writing  a sizeable amount of plot to make it work then it is fan fic.

2: Baseless  is not a matter of opinion. It just means it has no foundation. Example, i have a theory that Dawn and the Runic bronze armor of the Royces were the sword and armor that the last hero carried to fight the others. Is there any proof of it? No. Any hints or Evidence at all? No. It is just something that I think would be really cool and neat. That's it. Baseless speculation.
There is nothing wrong with thinking about it, but it is what it is and should be referred to as such. especially in light of how possessive the author is with his story.

3: You're right, westerosi genetics do not play well with real world examples so seeing traits from a 10,000 year old common ancestor could work in the book. On the other hand, I thought George stated that the Val looks are the result of magic and inbreeding. That would hint at a more recent familial mixing, like marriage or whoring or a royal dishonoring. 

Edit: Liz is a secret targ!!!!!!!!1

Duly noted, but I didn't put you in a corner--I told you to put yourself in a corner. ;)  

No.  Fan fic = fan fic.  I've written fan fic. I know what it is.  Theories are not the same thing.

Whether or not a theory can be proven at this point cannot be determined because the series it not over.  Baseless is a matter of opinion.

LOL.  Do you think the Valyrians got those traits out of thin air?  Why is it not possible that both the Daynes and the later appearing Valyrians might have descended from the same pre-First Men race?

If the Daynes had gotten those traits from marrying into a Valyrian house, that would actually mean they ARE part Valyrian. Elizabeth Taylor however, is not.  Not even a little bit.  Obviously a house founded thousands of years before Valyria existed are not Valyrian.  But they could actually have the same ancestors.  The Daynes and Valyrians, of course, not Liz.

Lady Blizzardborn, I've actually just posted a thread asking a question about this topic, precisely because the Valyrians seem to have sprung up out of nowhere as dragon takers right after the Long Night. I suggest, as part of my question not theory, that the Daynes might have been the original Valyrians, given magic at the same time as other First Men families, as part of the CotF's ritual to defeat the Others. When a branch of the family moved to Essos after the Long Night they began binding the dragons they found there with magical fall-out from the ritual? I'm not asserting this as a theory, but was using it to ask if the series or the Worldbook show in any way that magic was practiced by humans before the Long Night?

1: Yes, when your theory requires writing  a sizeable amount of plot to make it work then it is fan fic.

2: Baseless  is not a matter of opinion. It just means it has no foundation. Example, i have a theory that Dawn and the Runic bronze armor of the Royces were the sword and armor that the last hero carried to fight the others. Is there any proof of it? No. Any hints or Evidence at all? No. It is just something that I think would be really cool and neat. That's it. Baseless speculation.
There is nothing wrong with thinking about it, but it is what it is and should be referred to as such. especially in light of how possessive the author is with his story.

3: You're right, westerosi genetics do not play well with real world examples so seeing traits from a 10,000 year old common ancestor could work in the book. On the other hand, I thought George stated that the Val looks are the result of magic and inbreeding. That would hint at a more recent familial mixing, like marriage or whoring or a royal dishonoring. 

Edit: Liz is a secret targ!!!!!!!!1

1. Fan fiction does not require plot.  Clearly you have not read much FF.  Fan fiction is prose, not plot ideas.  

2. Okay, that's fair.  But where you see no evidence, others think they've spotted hints.  So while the definition of the word "baseless" is not subjective, what counts as baseless is.

3. I don't recall George saying anything about Valyrian looks being magical or the result of the inbreeding.  Could be I've forgotten it. 

That would be a big secret, even GRRM has said she's not Valyrian...as far as he knows...hmm...

Lady Blizzardborn, I've actually just posted a thread asking a question about this topic, precisely because the Valyrians seem to have sprung up out of nowhere as dragon takers right after the Long Night. I suggest, as part of my question not theory, that the Daynes might have been the original Valyrians, given magic at the same time as other First Men families, as part of the CotF's ritual to defeat the Others. When a branch of the family moved to Essos after the Long Night they began binding the dragons they found there with magical fall-out from the ritual? I'm not asserting this as a theory, but was using it to ask if the series or the Worldbook show in any way that magic was practiced by humans before the Long Night?

Actually the dragon riding, as far as I know that is, didn't happen until well after the Long Night.

Remember that the Long Night was supposedly 8,000 years ago.  The Valyrians existed prior to their dragonriding and empire, but they were shepherds up until that point.

Archived