MATCHES FOR A GAME OF THRONES
ROUND 1, PART 2

GROUP D

-
Catelyn VII (Tyrion's trial by combat) vs
Sansa VI (Joffrey shows Ned's head on
spike)

-
Eddard XV (Varys visits Ned in the dungeon)
vs Jon VI (Jon takes his vows)
-
Arya I (Arya watches Bran and Tommen
fight, Joffrey being an ass) vs Daenerys VII (Dany makes Mirri treat Drogo's wound)
-
Eddard VIII (Ned's resignation) vs Tyrion II
(Tyrion explains to Jon what the Night's
Watch really is)
-
GROUP E
-
Eddard XI (Ned sends Beric to seize Gregor
Clegane) vs Daenerys II (Dany marries
Drogo)

-
Tyrion IX (Tywin sends Tyrion to KL to be
Hand) vs Catelyn V (Catelyn takes Tyrion
captive)
(this was a really tough one)
-
Bran II ("The things I do for love", Bran's
fall)
vs Jon I (Talks to Benjen and Tyrion
["wear it like armor"])
-
Sansa I (Arya and Joffrey fight) vs Eddard III
(Ned kills Lady)
-
GROUP F
-
Arya III (Arya listens Illyrio and Varys
talking)
vs Eddard V (Ned investigates Jon Arryn's death) (V&I conversation was interesting, but there's a lot more going on in Ned's chapter)
-
Tyrion I (Tyrion strikes Joffrey because of
Bran)
vs Eddard X (Ned is reinstated as
King's Hand)
-
Catelyn III (attempt to murder Bran) vs
Bran I (Gared's execution; direwolves
found)

-
Daenerys V (a golden crown) vs Jon VIII
(Mormont gives Longclaw to Jon)

MATCHES FOR “A GAME OF THRONES” –
ROUND 1, PART 3
GROUP G

-
Daenerys VIII (black magic ritual to save
Drogo) vs Eddard VII (Tourney of the Hand, Hound saves Loras)
-
Catelyn VI (ascent to the Eyrie with
Blackfish)
(this chapter is a complete snooze fest) vs Jon IX (Jon's desertion, saved
by honor [not his honor, as Mormont says])
-
Sansa II (death of Ser Hugh; Hound tells her about his face) vs Tyrion V (bribes Mord, gets a trial by combat)
-
Bran V (attacked by Osha's group) vs Catelyn IV (Cat arrives at KL and meets Littlefinger) (tough one)
-
GROUP H
-
Bran III (dreams of falling and crows; wakes up from his coma) vs Eddard VI (Ned meets Gendry)
-
Tyrion VIII (meets Shae; Battle of the Green Fork) vs Daenerys III (Dany "rides" Drogo)
-
Catelyn XI (Robb is declared King in the
North) vs Jon IV (befriends the newcomer
Sam)
(Cat's chapter has greater resonance)
-
Sansa V (asks Joffrey for mercy to Ned in
front of the court) vs Catelyn I (informs Ned that King Robert is coming and Jon Arryn is dead)
-
GROUP I
-
Eddard I (Robert comes to Winterfell, asks Ned to be Hand) vs Jon V (arranges for Sam to be Aemon's steward)
-
Tyrion VII (comes to Tywin with his
clansmen) vs Daenerys I (plannings for
Dany's marriage)

-
Arya II (Arya is pissed off, Ned arranges her a dancing master) vs Catelyn X (ambush to Jaime, which is captured)
-
Daenerys IX (Drogo is "alive", Dany kills him) vs Bran VII (Bran and Rickon's dreams of Ned in the crypts; news of Ned's death)

GROUP G

Daenerys VIII (black magic ritual to save Drogo) vs Eddard VII (Tourney of the Hand, Hound saves Loras)

Catelyn VI (ascent to the Eyrie with Blackfish) vs Jon IX (Jon's desertion, saved by honor [not his honor, as Mormont says])

Sansa II (death of Ser Hugh; Hound tells her about his face) vs Tyrion V (bribes Mord, gets a trial by combat)

Bran V (attacked by Osha's group) vs Catelyn IV (Cat arrives at KL and meets Littlefinger)

GROUP H

Bran III (dreams of falling and crows; wakes up from his coma) vs Eddard VI (Ned meets Gendry)

Tyrion VIII (meets Shae; Battle of the Green Fork) vs Daenerys III (Dany "rides" Drogo)

Catelyn XI (Robb is declared King in the North) vs Jon IV (befriends the newcomer Sam) 

Sansa V (asks Joffrey for mercy to Ned in front of the court) vs Catelyn I (informs Ned that King Robert is coming and Jon Arryn is dead)

GROUP I

Eddard I (Robert comes to Winterfell, asks Ned to be Hand) vs Jon V (arranges for Sam to be Aemon's steward)

Tyrion VII (comes to Tywin with his clansmen) vs Daenerys I (plannings for Dany's marriage)

Arya II (Arya is pissed off, Ned arranges her a dancing master) vs Catelyn X (ambush to Jaime, which is captured)

Daenerys IX (Drogo is "alive", Dany kills him) vs Bran VII (Bran and Rickon's dreams of Ned in the crypts; news of Ned's death)

GROUP G

Daenerys VIII (black magic ritual to save Drogo) vs Eddard VII (Tourney of the Hand, Hound saves Loras)

Catelyn VI (ascent to the Eyrie with Blackfish) vs Jon IX (Jon's desertion, saved by honor [not his honor, as Mormont says])

Bran V (attacked by Osha's group) vs Catelyn IV (Cat arrives at KL and meets Littlefinger)

GROUP H

Bran III (dreams of falling and crows; wakes up from his coma) vs Eddard VI (Ned meets Gendry)

Tyrion VIII (meets Shae; Battle of the Green Fork) vs Daenerys III (Dany "rides" Drogo)

Catelyn XI (Robb is declared King in the North) vs Jon IV (befriends the newcomer Sam) 

Sansa V (asks Joffrey for mercy to Ned in front of the court) vs Catelyn I (informs Ned that King Robert is coming and Jon Arryn is dead)

GROUP I

Eddard I (Robert comes to Winterfell, asks Ned to be Hand) vs Jon V (arranges for Sam to be Aemon's steward)

Tyrion VII (comes to Tywin with his clansmen) vs Daenerys I (plannings for Dany's marriage)

Arya II (Arya is pissed off, Ned arranges her a dancing master) vs Catelyn X (ambush to Jaime, which is captured)

Daenerys IX (Drogo is "alive", Dany kills him) vs Bran VII (Bran and Rickon's dreams of Ned in the crypts; news of Ned's death)

GROUP G

GROUP H

GROUP I

GROUP G

Daenerys VIII (black magic ritual to save Drogo) vs Eddard VII (Tourney of the Hand, Hound saves Loras)

Catelyn VI (ascent to the Eyrie with Blackfish) vs Jon IX (Jon's desertion, saved by honor [not his honor, as Mormont says]) (Neither of these are particularly great)

Sansa II (death of Ser Hugh; Hound tells her about his face) vs Tyrion V (bribes Mord, gets a trial by combat) (The trial by combat itself happens in a later Catelyn-chapter, not this one, so I have to give the Hand's Tourney the edge)

Bran V (attacked by Osha's group) vs Catelyn IV (Cat arrives at KL and meets Littlefinger)

GROUP H

Bran III (dreams of falling and crows; wakes up from his coma) vs Eddard VI (Ned meets Gendry)

Tyrion VIII (meets Shae; Battle of the Green Fork) vs Daenerys III (Dany "rides" Drogo)

Catelyn XI (Robb is declared King in the North) vs Jon IV (befriends the newcomer Sam) 

Sansa V (asks Joffrey for mercy to Ned in front of the court) vs Catelyn I (informs Ned that King Robert is coming and Jon Arryn is dead) (First appearance of Ser Dontos)

GROUP I

Eddard I (Robert comes to Winterfell, asks Ned to be Hand) vs Jon V (arranges for Sam to be Aemon's steward) (I don't particularly like Jon's chapters in the first book, there's just not enough happening in some of them)

Tyrion VII (comes to Tywin with his clansmen) vs Daenerys I (plannings for Dany's marriage)

Arya II (Arya is pissed off, Ned arranges her a dancing master) vs Catelyn X (ambush to Jaime, which is captured)

Daenerys IX (Drogo is "alive", Dany kills him) vs Bran VII (Bran and Rickon's dreams of Ned in the crypts; news of Ned's death) (This is also the chapter where Luwin tells them the story about the Children. But Dany's chapter is stronger overall)

Reminding everyone that votes are open for Part 2 until tomorrow, 9:30 AM (PST), and for Part 3 until Wednesday 11 AM (PST).

Do you prefer Round 2 without divisions (18 matches at the same time) or divided in two parts?

No divisions, Although both ways work for me.

WINNERS FOR “A GAME OF THRONES” – ROUND 1, PART 2

GROUP D

Catelyn VII vs Sansa VI

(5 x 3)

Eddard XV vs Jon VI

(8 x 0)

Arya I vs Daenerys VII

(6 x 2)

Eddard VIII vs Tyrion II

(4 x 4, casting vote [decided by the hilarious Ghost attack on Tyrion])

GROUP E

Eddard XI vs Daenerys II

(6 x 2)

Tyrion IX vs Catelyn V

(7 x 1)

Bran II vs Jon I

(6 x 2)

Sansa I vs Eddard III

(3 x 5)

GROUP F

Arya III vs Eddard V

(7 x 1)

Tyrion I vs Eddard X

(5 x 3)

Catelyn III vs Bran I

(1 x 7)

Daenerys V vs Jon VIII

(8 x 0)

[spoiler]

Rajam: Catelyn VII, Eddard XV, Arya I, Tyrion II, Eddard XI, Tyrion IX, Jon I, Eddard III, Arya III, Eddard X, Bran I, Daenerys V

Criston: Catelyn VII, Eddard XV, Arya I, Tyrion II, Eddard XI, Tyrion IX, Bran II, Eddard III, Arya III, Tyrion I, Bran I, Daenerys V

Annara Snow: Sansa VI, Eddard XV, Daenerys VII, Eddard VIII, Eddard XI, Tyrion IX, Bran II, Eddard III, Arya III, Eddard X, Bran I, Daenerys V

Lil’ghost: Catelyn VII, Eddard XV, Daenerys VII, Eddard VIII, Daenerys II, Tyrion IX, Bran II, Sansa I, Arya III, Tyrion I, Bran I, Daenerys V

Castellan: Sansa VI, Eddard XV, Arya I, Tyrion II, Daenerys II, Tyrion IX, Bran II, Sansa I, Arya III, Tyrion I, Bran I, Daenerys V

Yomi: Sansa VI, Eddard XV, Arya I, Eddard VIII, Eddard XI, Tyrion IX, Bran II, Eddard III, Arya III, Tyrion I, Bran I, Daenerys V

The Wolf: Catelyn VII, Eddard XV, Arya I, Eddard VIII, Eddard XI, Catelyn V, Bran II, Sansa I, Arya III, Tyrion I, Bran I, Daenerys V

Cashless: Catelyn VII, Eddard XV, Arya I, Tyrion II, Eddard XI, Tyrion IX, Jon I, Eddard III, Eddard V, Eddard X, Catelyn III, Daenerys V

[/spoiler]

So I'm the only one not fascinated by Bran I.

It is arguably the most important chapter for the story because of the direwolves (GRRM said somewhere that his first idea for the story involved puppy wolves found in the snow, IIRC).

But it is going to face a great contender next round (The "golden crown" chapter), so who knows.

It is arguably the most important chapter for the story because of the direwolves (GRRM said somewhere that his first idea for the story involved puppy wolves found in the snow, IIRC).

But it is going to face a great contender next round (The "golden crown" chapter), so who knows.

The Bran scene was the first thing he said he conceived in his mind, but I think he actually said his first idea was a young boy being brought by his father to watch a beheading. I don't think he mentioned the direwolves - he may have decided to include them later.

The Bran scene was the first thing he said he conceived in his mind, but I think he actually said his first idea was a young boy being brought by his father to watch a beheading. I don't think he mentioned the direwolves - he may have decided to include them later.

Both, actually.

But then one day the opening chapter of A GAME OF THRONES came to me, so vividly I =had= to write it. Not the prologue, mind you, but the first chapters proper, where Bran sees the man beheaded and finds the direwolves in the snow.

http://web.archive.org/web/19970710231523/http://www.omnimag.com/archives/chats/ov112196.html

Both, actually.

That doesn't necessarily mean the direwolves were supposed to be there from the beginning, he may be just describing the chapter. I've read another interview where he said the first idea he had was a scene where a young boy  being taken by his father to watch a beheading.

That doesn't necessarily mean the direwolves were supposed to be there from the beginning, he may be just describing the chapter. I've read another interview where he said the first idea he had was a scene where a young boy  being taken by his father to watch a beheading.

You're right, I wrongly assumed that his description of the chapter implied that he thought about both things in the first place.

Both are really powerful images, and it is incredible how many great stories were imagined first as a single image by their authors.

WINNERS FOR “A GAME OF THRONES” – ROUND 1, PART 3

GROUP G

Daenerys VIII vs Eddard VII

(1 x 6)

Catelyn VI vs Jon IX

(2 x 5)

Sansa II vs Tyrion V

(6 x 1)

Bran V vs Catelyn IV

(3 x 4)

GROUP H

Bran III vs Eddard VI

(5 x 2)

Tyrion VIII vs Daenerys III

(5 x 2)

Catelyn XI vs Jon IV

(7 x 0)

Sansa V vs Catelyn I

(5 x 2)

GROUP I

Eddard I vs Jon V

(5 x 2)

Tyrion VII vs Daenerys I

(6 x 1)

Arya II vs Catelyn X

(4 x 3)

Daenerys IX vs Bran VII

(2 x 5)

[spoiler]

Rajam: Eddard VII, Catelyn VI, Sansa II, Catelyn IV, Eddard VI, Tyrion VIII, Catelyn XI, Catelyn I, Eddard I, Tyrion VII, Catelyn X, Bran VII

Annara Snow: Eddard VII, Jon IX, Sansa II, Catelyn IV, Bran III, Daenerys III, Catelyn XI, Sansa V, Jon V, Daenerys I, Arya II, Daenerys IX

Cashless: Daenerys VIII, Jon IX, Tyrion V, Catelyn IV, Bran III, Tyrion VIII, Catelyn XI, Sansa V, Eddard I, Tyrion VII, Catelyn X, Bran VII

The Wolf: Eddard VII, Jon IX, Sansa II, Catelyn IV, Bran III, Tyrion VIII, Catelyn XI, Catelyn I, Eddard I, Tyrion VII, Arya II, Bran VII

Yomi: Eddard VII, Jon IX, Sansa II, Bran V, Bran III, Daenerys III, Catelyn XI, Sansa V, Jon V, Tyrion VII, Arya II, Bran VII

Lil’ghost: Eddard VII, Catelyn VI, Sansa II, Bran V, Eddard VI, Tyrion VIII, Catelyn XI, Sansa V, Eddard I, Tyrion VII, Arya II, Bran VII

Criston: Eddard VII, Jon IX, Sansa II, Bran V, Bran III, Tyrion VIII, Catelyn XI, Sansa V, Eddard I, Tyrion VII, Catelyn X, Daenerys IX

[/spoiler]

MATCHES FOR “A GAME OF THRONES” – ROUND 2

GROUP A

Daenerys X (birth of dragons) vs Jon III (Donal Noye saves and counsels Jon)

Eddard IX (Jaime confronts Ned in front of Chataya's brothel) vs Arya IV (Arya escapes Meryn Trant with Syrio's help)

GROUP B

Catelyn II (letter from Lysa blaming the Lannisters) vs Eddard XIII (mortally wounded, Robert names Ned as Regent)

Bran IV (Tyrion gives Bran a gift ["cripples, bastards and broken things"]) vs Tyrion VI (Tyrion and Bronn meet the Stone Crows)

GROUP C

Arya V (Ned's execution) vs Catelyn IX (negotiation with Walder Frey)

Jon VII (Jon kills the wight in Mormont's room) vs Eddard XII (Ned know the secret and tells Cersei to leave KL)

GROUP D

Catelyn VII (Tyrion's trial by combat) vs Eddard XV (Varys visits Ned in the dungeon)

Arya I (Arya watches Bran and Tommen fight, Joffrey being an ass) vs Tyrion II (Tyrion explains to Jon what the Night's Watch really is)

GROUP E

Eddard XI (Ned sends Beric to seize Gregor Clegane) vs Tyrion IX (Tywin sends Tyrion to KL to be Hand)

Bran II ("The things I do for love", Bran's fall) vs Eddard III (Ned kills Lady)

GROUP F

Arya III (Arya listens Illyrio and Varys talking) vs Tyrion I (Tyrion strikes Joffrey because of Bran)

Bran I (Gared's execution; direwolves found) vs Daenerys V (a golden crown)

GROUP G

Eddard VII (Tourney of the Hand, Hound saves Loras) vs Jon IX (Jon's desertion, saved by honor [not his honor, as Mormont says])

Sansa II (death of Ser Hugh; Hound tells her about his face) vs Catelyn IV (Cat arrives at KL and meets Littlefinger)

GROUP H

Bran III (dreams of falling and crows; wakes up from his coma) vs Tyrion VIII (meets Shae; Battle of the Green Fork)

Catelyn XI (Robb is declared King in the North) vs Sansa V (asks Joffrey for mercy to Ned in front of the court)

GROUP I

Eddard I (Robert comes to Winterfell, asks Ned to be Hand) vs Tyrion VII (comes to Tywin with his clansmen)

Arya II (Arya is pissed off, Ned arranges her a dancing master) vs Bran VII (Bran and Rickon's dreams of Ned in the crypts; news of Ned's death)

VOTES UNTIL AUGUST 30th, 11 AM (PST)

GROUP A

Eddard IX (Jaime confronts Ned in front of Chataya's brothel) vs Arya IV (Arya escapes Meryn Trant with Syrio's help)

GROUP B

Catelyn II (letter from Lysa blaming the Lannisters) vs Eddard XIII (mortally wounded, Robert names Ned as Regent)

Bran IV (Tyrion gives Bran a gift ["cripples, bastards and broken things"]) vs Tyrion VI (Tyrion and Bronn meet the Stone Crows)

GROUP C

Jon VII (Jon kills the wight in Mormont's room) vs Eddard XII (Ned know the secret and tells Cersei to leave KL)

GROUP D

Catelyn VII (Tyrion's trial by combat) vs Eddard XV (Varys visits Ned in the dungeon)

Arya I (Arya watches Bran and Tommen fight, Joffrey being an ass) vs Tyrion II (Tyrion explains to Jon what the Night's Watch really is)

GROUP E

Eddard XI (Ned sends Beric to seize Gregor Clegane) vs Tyrion IX (Tywin sends Tyrion to KL to be Hand)

Bran II ("The things I do for love", Bran's fall) vs Eddard III (Ned kills Lady)

GROUP F

Arya III (Arya listens Illyrio and Varys talking) vs Tyrion I (Tyrion strikes Joffrey because of Bran)

Bran I (Gared's execution; direwolves found) vs Daenerys V (a golden crown) (uuuugh, these are amongst my favourite chapters; was really hard to choose one)

GROUP G

Eddard VII (Tourney of the Hand, Hound saves Loras) vs Jon IX (Jon's desertion, saved by honor [not his honor, as Mormont says])

Sansa II (death of Ser Hugh; Hound tells her about his face) vs Catelyn IV (Cat arrives at KL and meets Littlefinger)

GROUP H

Bran III (dreams of falling and crows; wakes up from his coma) vs Tyrion VIII (meets Shae; Battle of the Green Fork)

Catelyn XI (Robb is declared King in the North) vs Sansa V (asks Joffrey for mercy to Ned in front of the court)

GROUP I

Eddard I (Robert comes to Winterfell, asks Ned to be Hand) vs Tyrion VII (comes to Tywin with his clansmen)

Arya II (Arya is pissed off, Ned arranges her a dancing master) vs Bran VII (Bran and Rickon's dreams of Ned in the crypts; news of Ned's death)

GROUP A

Eddard IX (Jaime confronts Ned in front of Chataya's brothel) vs Arya IV (Arya escapes Meryn Trant with Syrio's help)

GROUP B

GROUP C

GROUP D

Catelyn VII (Tyrion's trial by combat) vs Eddard XV (Varys visits Ned in the dungeon) Aw, man...

GROUP E

GROUP F

GROUP G

GROUP H

GROUP I

GROUP A

GROUP B

GROUP C

Jon VII (Jon kills the wight in Mormont's room) vs Eddard XII (Ned know the secret and tells Cersei to leave KL)    super tough. i love both of these chapters.

GROUP D

Catelyn VII (Tyrion's trial by combat) vs Eddard XV (Varys visits Ned in the dungeon)    another tough choice.

GROUP E

GROUP F

GROUP G

GROUP H

GROUP I

Archived