A hint of Aegon in Jon's POV chapter?

Tristan989

Fixed that for you.  ;)

Thank you!  What an embarrassing mistake. 

It was pretty funny the way it was. Maybe the Iron Throne really is backing Stannis.

"I hate sitting on this pointy chair all day and listening to people tell me boring stuff. The stamping part is fun, but the rest is boring. Can't Unca Stannis come do this instead of me so I can go play with my cats?"

On the other hand...this works for me.  

And what about the chair itself?  One of my acrophobia ideas for the Ironborn Kingsmoot was written from the POV of the Seastone Chair...

And what about the chair itself?  One of my acrophobia ideas for the Ironborn Kingsmoot was written from the POV of the Seastone Chair...

Well, people in-universe say that the Iron Throne willfully killed Maegor and Aegon II, regularly cut Aerys because he was mad, etc., and they're only mostly facetious...

On the other hand, Joffrey seemed pretty comfortable on the throne, and, Tommen doesn't seem to have any problem sitting on it. So, I don't think the Throne wants Stannis. But maybe it's just biding its time for a better pretender. Think about it: even if you're a Stannis fan, would you want him sitting on you at all, much less badly enough to kill for it? He's a big man, and I'm sure he sits down hard, and then either squirms or sits bolt upright, either way gripping the armrests like a vise. What chair wants that? (I suspect there's one person on these forums who will answer otherwise, but only that one.) Dany, on the other hand, weighs like 90 pounds, and sits gracefully. Who better to sit on you all day?1

1 And I didn't have to make even one "sit on my face and tell me that you love me" joke here. Except that I just did anyway, didn't I...

Well, people in-universe say that the Iron Throne willfully killed Maegor and Aegon II, regularly cut Aerys because he was mad, etc., and they're only mostly facetious...

On the other hand, Joffrey seemed pretty comfortable on the throne, and, Tommen doesn't seem to have any problem sitting on it. So, I don't think the Throne wants Stannis. But maybe it's just biding its time for a better pretender. Think about it: even if you're a Stannis fan, would you want him sitting on you at all, much less badly enough to kill for it? He's a big man, and I'm sure he sits down hard, and then either squirms or sits bolt upright, either way gripping the armrests like a vise. What chair wants that? (I suspect there's one person on these forums who will answer otherwise, but only that one.) Dany, on the other hand, weighs like 90 pounds, and sits gracefully. Who better to sit on you all day?1

1 And I didn't have to make even one "sit on my face and tell me that you love me" joke here. Except that I just did anyway, didn't I...

Aegon II wasn't on the throne when he died, or even shortly before.  Maegor was actually found on the thing, having bled out.

Didn't Joffrey get cut, and someone in the room yelled out "The throne rejects him!"?  Pretty sure that's in ASoS somewhere.  Or it could have been just the show.

You know, I had the Seastone Chair preferring Asha.  I think enough men have sat on these thrones.  They could use a change of pace.

Support throne suffrage!

Aegon II wasn't on the throne when he died, or even shortly before.  Maegor was actually found on the thing, having bled out.

Didn't Joffrey get cut, and someone in the room yelled out "The throne rejects him!"?  Pretty sure that's in ASoS somewhere.  Or it could have been just the show.

You know, I had the Seastone Chair preferring Asha.  I think enough men have sat on these thrones.  They could use a change of pace.

Support throne suffrage!

If I remember correctly, Joffrey got cut on the IT while Stannis' (ex)men swore fealty to him after the Battle of Blackwater Bay. Someone or something angered him, and he pounded his fist on the arm. Blade cuts his hand and he cries out "mother!" (That last part is definitely true. Can't forget something like that. :P)

Support throne suffrage!

If you want equal primogeniture, the historical path is pretty clear. First, you need succession laws that are overcomplicated but still don't cover all the bases, so you somehow end up with an Elizabeth I or Margaret I, despite having rules that are supposed to prevent that. Then, everyone can retroactively decide she was pretty cool. Then they think about it for half a millennium or so, and eventually, when they've got either another Queen on the throne or a King with only daughters, finally start thinking, "Hey, maybe equal primogeniture isn't such a bad idea for the 21st century".

As for Asha, I think she'd make a great reigning Lady Paramount, but I'm not sure she'd be a great Queen. She needs to find a suitably powerful foreign family with an eligible son, convince them to be happy with their son as Prince Consort instead of King,1 and then convince herself to marry him for political reasons. That all seems a bit out of her wheelhouse, especially the last part.

1 Or, better, marry a King who's happy being King of his realm while she's reigning Queen of the union, like Haakon and Margaret. And then, she and Jon Stark can wipe out the Freys, move her capital to the mainland, and create the Seagard Union. And then she and her descendants can unsuccessfully invade their southern neighbors every 10 years until finally everyone rebels and splits up into separate kingdoms again. But maybe not that last part.

Support throne suffrage!

Or just be in Dorne.  :cool4:

If you want equal primogeniture, the historical path is pretty clear. First, you need succession laws that are overcomplicated but still don't cover all the bases, so you somehow end up with an Elizabeth I or Margaret I, despite having rules that are supposed to prevent that. Then, everyone can retroactively decide she was pretty cool. Then they think about it for half a millennium or so, and eventually, when they've got either another Queen on the throne or a King with only daughters, finally start thinking, "Hey, maybe equal primogeniture isn't such a bad idea for the 21st century".

As for Asha, I think she'd make a great reigning Lady Paramount, but I'm not sure she'd be a great Queen. She needs to find a suitably powerful foreign family with an eligible son, convince them to be happy with their son as Prince Consort instead of King,1 and then convince herself to marry him for political reasons. That all seems a bit out of her wheelhouse, especially the last part.

1 Or, better, marry a King who's happy being King of his realm while she's reigning Queen of the union, like Haakon and Margaret. And then, she and Jon Stark can wipe out the Freys, move her capital to the mainland, and create the Seagard Union. And then she and her descendants can unsuccessfully invade their southern neighbors every 10 years until finally everyone rebels and splits up into separate kingdoms again. But maybe not that last part.

I rather ship Asha and Willas Tyrell.  Not really sure why given that we haven't met WT yet.  But GRRM says we will! :D

Or just be in Dorne.  :cool4:

Even in Dorne the chairs are denied the vote. :(

I rather ship Asha and Willas Tyrell.  Not really sure why given that we haven't met WT yet.  But GRRM says we will! :D

I guess Asha could marry Willas, turn the Islands and Reach into a personal union, invade the Westerlands, and create a new Casterly Union. And the age difference works better there than Asha and Jon. The only question is why I'm suddenly obsessed with turning Asha into Margaret I of Denmark. Denmark doesn't even have a talking throne.

Archived