Lightbringer and glass candles theory

The scourge of westeros

lately I've been throwing around the idea that the glass candles like the one Sam sees in marwyn's chamber are actually the material that the legendary lightbringer comes from. 

The glass candle Sam views is "3feet tall and slender as a sword" Sam, affc. Sam also notices the strange things the candle does to light... It seems to amplify light and the colors in the immediate environment around it. The candle seems to be not be able to be extinguished even when marwyn slams the door and a gust of air blows past... Whatever causes the candles to glow in the first place, can not be extinguished by human efforts. Obviously the glass candle is incandescent, and for there to be light heat would need to also be present. Aemon's observation that stannis's "lightbringer" does not generate heat, was what made him know it wasn't the true sword of heroes as proclaimed, but a glamour. When Sam asks marwyn,"what makes the flame," marwyn says that all valyrian sorcery is based in fire and blood which sounds like the tempering process that the legend claims lightbringer went through. 

So... We have a glowing, heat radiating object that is already shaped like a sword, is sword length, does strange things to light, burns but is not consumed, and its origin is based in fire and blood sorcery, and... it's sitting right in front of Sam. 

I'm convinced at this point that we have already seen lightbringer without even realizing it. 

Yolk Boy and Lady Gwyn, in their podcast (sorry, I don't recall if it's their theory or if they're mentioning someone else's), suggest that Light Bringer may not be a glass candle, per se, but have many of the same properties--able to communicate over vast distances, flaming, radiates light, etc--because a 100% obsidian blade would break too easily.

I'm inclined to believe something along these lines.  If Light Bringer IS a sword, it would certainly be a game changer against the Others if it had all/most of the qualities of a glass candle as well as being a potent weapon (and those qualities alone would make it such, minus being brittle).

The glass candles are just candles made from obsidian, which does kill the Others, but as Drogonthedread pointed out, there's tons of obsidian in Westeros. 

Maester Luwin even had obsidian arrowheads in his supplies at Winterfell.

"Dragonglass," Osha named it as she sat down beside Luwin, bandagings in hand.

"Obsidian," Maester Luwin insisted, holding out his wounded arm. "Forged in the fires of the gods, far below the earth. The children of the forest hunted with that, thousands of years ago. The children worked no metal. (snip) In place of swords, they carried blades of obsidian."

"And still do." (Osha)

- AGoT, Ch. 66, Bran VII

Lightbringer was the first Valyrian steel sword.  I don't see the need to reinvent the wheel, Gendry just needs to figure out how the steel was made in the first place.  If he has to temper it in Arya's little torso, then so be it.  Though I believe the sacrifice should be forcing the families who owned VS weapons to surrender them to the night watch.

Lightbringer was the first Valyrian steel sword.  I don't see the need to reinvent the wheel, Gendry just needs to figure out how the steel was made in the first place.  If he has to temper it in Arya's little torso, then so be it.  Though I believe the sacrifice should be forcing the families who owned VS weapons to surrender them to the night watch.

Dragons are called as flaming swords in ADWd by xaro..

Dragons are fire made flesh always gives warmth and heat just like lightbringer ...and they have been birthed by the sacrifices of dany's husband and child 

In ADWD Jon reads a tale of AA fighting a monster and how when he thrusts the lightbringer in the head of the monster his head bursts into flame and eyes melts and ran down ...a word by word match for the description of the what dany did in Astopor using drogon to kraznys ..

When stannis pulls the fake lightbringer from the idol in fire ...patchface sings that under the sea flames are black blue green which is exact match to the colors of flames of dany's dragons ..

And needless to say they are the fiery sword that was pulled out of the pyre by dany under the bleeding star ..

The glass candles are just candles made from obsidian, which does kill the Others, but as Drogonthedread pointed out, there's tons of obsidian in Westeros. 

Maester Luwin even had obsidian arrowheads in his supplies at Winterfell.

true, but not all dragonglass has the properties of a glass candle. Also not all dragon glass has been imbued with the sorcery of old valyria, which always seems to boil down to fire and blood sacrifice. 

You know... Kind of like how all serpents are snakes, but not all snakes are serpents. 

Dragons are fire made flesh always gives warmth and heat just like lightbringer ...and they have been birthed by the sacrifices of dany's husband and child 

In ADWD Jon reads a tale of AA fighting a monster and how when he thrusts the lightbringer in the head of the monster his head bursts into flame and eyes melts and ran down ...a word by word match for the description of the what dany did in Astopor using drogon to kraznys ..

When stannis pulls the fake lightbringer from the idol in fire ...patchface sings that under the sea flames are black blue green which is exact match to the colors of flames of dany's dragons ..

And needless to say they are the fiery sword that was pulled out of the pyre by dany under the bleeding star ..

so would you propose the original Azor Ahai to have been a dragon rider?

so would you propose the original Azor Ahai to have been a dragon rider?

Who cam say that with certainity ...there may have been the dragons ...we learn that dragons were been in westeros before targs came and we know that a girl with mpnkey tail prayed for the sun to come up after long night ....a girl with monkey tail can certainly be a refference to a dragon rider ...

I give you what is present in the five books till now....every description books lightbringer in the books matches the dragons ..am not making that up.

And one should not forget that  the reason why glasscandles are working now is because of dany's dragons ....

I too believe the dragons are lightbringer.  It makes more sense than an actual sword.  What can one sword do against a horde of the Undead.  

I too believe the dragons are lightbringer.  It makes more sense than an actual sword.  What can one sword do against a horde of the Undead.  

just as someone stated above, there are many glass candles throughout the world of ice and fire. A single sword(lightbringer) wouldn't be much use to the war of the dawn itself, but like the books tell us, there are actually many. 

In addition, everyone thinks that dragons are lightbringe yet even the world book noted dragons had a hard time flying in heavy rains. That doesn't seem to be something that should bother dragons all that much if in fact they were to be lightbringer. Lightbringer is intimately connected with the long night, and dragons being grounded during heavy rain doesn't sound promising against the others and the winds of winter. Just saying... We now have evidence that dragons do have weak points in their military applications. 

im not saying dragons could not be lightbringer, but at the same time, I'm not nearly as positive as others about it. 

If the glass candles are really simply obisian, I would doubt that they make for good swords. Obsidian can be incredibly sharp, but it is brittle. So, what would happen, if such a glass candle sword hits a hard object? It would simply shatter. Doesn't seem very desireable.

on the contrary they seem to be a magically charged or special form of dragonglass/obsidian. Not all dragonglass has the same qualities as those described of the glass cradle in marwyn's chamber at the end of affc. Marwyn said glass candles are dragon glass infused with the sorcery of fire and blood; somewhat tieing in with the forging of lightbringer. If a glass candle or glass candles are revealed to be the basis of lightbringer it would actually be one of the more obvious clues in the books. 

If the glass candles are really simply obisian, I would doubt that they make for good swords. Obsidian can be incredibly sharp, but it is brittle. So, what would happen, if such a glass candle sword hits a hard object? It would simply shatter. Doesn't seem very desireable.

like I said, by no means so I discount the popular theories of what might be lightbringer. I'm just simply pointing out that we have a very almost literal similar description of an object we currently know of in the books. 

It could be right under our noses...

Archived