US-Politics The Resistible Rise of Donald J. Trump

A Horse Named Stranger

In 2008, I voted for the Green Party. In 2012, I shamefully voted against my class interests in favor of Obama, but only because he raised more money that Romney. 

Do you believe that you are typical or atypical of people? 

I understand your point, Nestor. I think you didn't argue it well to start, backtracked on it, and then when given data stated that the data is incorrect without any actual evidence to the contrary. I've provided several points of data at this point; you, despite being the person who backs up their claims the 'most of anyone' has done nothing. You've speculated without anything backing up your claims. 

Another interesting factoid: the representatives who voted against gun regulations recently overwhelmingly had donations from the NRA. I suppose this is also just correlation that there exists nearly a 1 to 1 mapping between lobbying money and votes. 

I literally have no idea what you are talking about. WHAT data did you give to me that I stated was incorrect? THIS NEVER HAPPENED. You are completely making it up. This entire post is some bizarre imaginative fantasy that you have. 

I have literally no idea what you mean by this. how are you defining 'power' here? 

Money, access, influence, and stature.

If 9 peope from Mothers for Sensible Gun Control visit a Republican Congressman from a leans right district to advocate for a bill strengthening background checks and 1 person who represents the NRA visits the same Congressman and lobbyies against the measure, whose voice wins out? The 9 nobodies from a small group or the one person backed by a powerful organization?

I literally have no idea what you are talking about. WHAT data did you give to me that I stated was incorrect? THIS NEVER HAPPENED. You are completely making it up. This entire post is some bizarre imaginative fantasy that you have. 

The gallup poll that indicates that at least 20% of americans believe that gun control is the most important thing, and 80% believe it to be an important thing.

The NRA correlation with donations and votes, which indicate strongly that the NRA has a very good success rate in funneling money to people who vote their way and getting them to vote their way despite strong voter approval of certain gun regulations.

The indication that money is a strong indicator of campaign success. 

You can handwave this and repeat your fantasy - that voters don't actually care as much about gun control as they do other things - but the evidence is strongly in favor of that not being correct. Can I prove it? Of course not. 

Can you provide any evidence that voters are voting against their stated interests with respect to gun control? So far you haven't done this once. 

1. The gallup poll that indicates that at least 20% of americans believe that gun control is the most important thing, and 80% believe it to be an important thing.

2. The NRA correlation with donations and votes, which indicate strongly that the NRA has a very good success rate in funneling money to people who vote their way and getting them to vote their way despite strong voter approval of certain gun regulations.

3. The indication that money is a strong indicator of campaign success. 

You can handwave this and repeat your fantasy - that voters don't actually care as much about gun control as they do other things - but the evidence is strongly in favor of that not being correct. Can I prove it? Of course not. 

Can you provide any evidence that voters are voting against their stated interests with respect to gun control? So far you haven't done this once. 

1. I never claimed that this poll was wrong.

2. I never claimed that this was wrong. I'm not sure I would ever have any reason to deny that the "NRA has a very good success rate in funneling money to people who vote their way." I am not sure what you are implying when you say that the NRA is good as "getting them to vote their way" - as this indicates you have some evidence that suggests the NRA is changing the minds of legislators. If you do, you haven't presented it.

3. I never denied that money is a "strong indicator" of campaign success.

So really, I have no idea what the fuck you are actually talking about. 

Then that would be a failure on the part of the majority, not a failure of democracy.

i don't see how it's undemocratic to advocate for your position, even if you are in the minority.

First, I never said it was undemocratic to advocate for a position. Second, if you think that the majority always wins, you evidently have never met the filibuster. 

Archived