Waves of Night and Moon Blood: Mythical Astronomy of Ice and Fire podcast, episode 3

LmL

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am almost finished with Oberyn vs. the Mountain, it's going to be a bit shorter (maybe an hour) and I'll probably record it this weekend. Going to have a bunch of Hammer of the Waters stuff in there too, should be fun for everyone. 

27 minutes ago, Roose Banner said:

Cool, looking forward to it. Just recently finished the new podcast and essay. I will have to go back and re-read the first essays. I originally read them here, but I believe you had mentioned doing more work to them when they were put up on WordPress. Great work, ser.

Thanks very much, Roose Banner!

So, is Roose Banner the lost member of the fantastic four? Or did he body snatch David Banner? ;)

Yes, basically the three podcasts and the essays that match them represent the updated series. They are at least 75% different than the essays of the same names that have been on here. All you need to do is listen to the first two podcasts. The other essays that haven't been updated / outdated are the Fingerprints of the Dawn and subsequent Children of the Dawn parts One and Two. There's also the "Lucifer means Lightbringer" essay on my webpage, which used to be part of an older essay here and talks about Venus's Morningstar / Evenstar behavior, the gnostic interpretation of the Garden of Eden story, and the Yaweh / El thing. Finally, I have an essay called "GRRM is writing modern mythology" which is under the "methodology" tab on my wordpress page. 

Just in case you had some free time you were trying to eradicate... 

:) 

Err, yeah, the name seemed better at the time. The Evenstar section of your first essay was one of the ideas that kept me reading . I listened to the first two podcasts shortly after they had been posted... And I amazing when it comes to eradicating time. 

One thing that was discussed earlier up thread, iirc, was a possibility of TNK and TNQ being responsible for The Others. However, by virtue of The Wall and The Nightfort existing, shouldn't The Others already be there? Or have I missed something? 

So your next essay will focus on Thor's hammer, Hammer of Waters, COtF and Norse mythology?

I've read a bit about it recently and I have few thoughts:

- ASOIAF clearly is inspired by events of Ragnarok

- Fimbulwinter (Mighty Winter) is happening right now in Westeros.

- Rainbow Guard symbolises Bifrost, the Rainbow Bridge and Brienne is Heimdall.

Both have magical swords.

In 'poetic edda' Ragnarok begins when Bifrost bridge is shattered. Rainbow Guard is also shattered. The place where we first met them is BitterBRIDGE.

- Weirwoods are similar to Yggdrasill, the World Tree

- Hound is helldog Garm

- Littlefinger is similar to Loki, I belive Brienne {Heimdall} will fight LF (Loki) as in Ragnarok poems

- Harys Swyft is reference to rooster Fjalar of Midgard who crows when winter begins

- Interesting thing is that god Freyr is killed by giant wielding magical flaming sword.

36 minutes ago, Blue Tiger said:

So your next essay will focus on Thor's hammer, Hammer of Waters, COtF and Norse mythology?

I've read a bit about it recently and I have few thoughts:

- ASOIAF clearly is inspired by events of Ragnarok

- Fimbulwinter (Mighty Winter) is happening right now in Westeros.

- Rainbow Guard symbolises Bifrost, the Rainbow Bridge and Brienne is Heimdall.

Both have magical swords.

In 'poetic edda' Ragnarok begins when Bifrost bridge is shattered. Rainbow Guard is also shattered. The place where we first met them is BitterBRIDGE.

- Weirwoods are similar to Yggdrasill, the World Tree

- Hound is helldog Garm

- Littlefinger is similar to Loki, I belive Brienne {Heimdall} will fight LF (Loki) as in Ragnarok poems

- Harys Swyft is reference to rooster Fjalar of Midgard who crows when winter begins

- Interesting thing is that god Freyr is killed by giant wielding magical flaming sword.

Terrific stuff - you've read norse mythology and ASOIAF right? That's a blog that details all the norse correlations, which are plentiful. Problem is, he took it too far and predicted ASOIAF to end just like Ragnarok, which led to him making really absurd predictions like Tommen being the PTWP. You have to remember George is blending Norse myth in with all the others tons of mythological ideas he is using. Nothing is one to one. So you really have to be cautious when making predictions... it's much safer to point to parallels and associations, because they clearly exist. 

IO'm going to talk about some norse myth in the next couple episodes, specifically Odin and Thor (Thor's hammer shoots lighting - a great clue that the Hammer of the Waters and the Lightning bolt of the Storm God (Thor = storm god) are the same ting (moon meteors). I will talk a bit about Yggdrasil, certainly, because the greenseer / Bloodraven thing is so heavily borrowed from Yggdrasil and Odin. 

Interesting about a bridge being broken to start Ragnarok - Arm of Dorne was a land bridge that broke when the Long Night fell.

Who is playing the role of Freyr to be killed by the magic fire sword, do you think? 

Who is playing the role of Freyr to be killed by the magic fire sword, do you think? 

At first I thought that it's Stannis or Jon wielding Lightbringer killing Ser Hosteen Frey or Lord Walder. Bit this seems to be too simple. Probably it's some other sacrifice.

I haven't read 'Norse mythology and ASOIAF', to be honest I've never heard about it. I'm not often on the forum recently, so is it some new thread or podcast? Could you share link to it?

33 minutes ago, Blue Tiger said:

At first I thought that it's Stannis or Jon wielding Lightbringer killing Ser Hosteen Frey or Lord Walder. Bit this seems to be too simple. Probably it's some other sacrifice.

I haven't read 'Norse mythology and ASOIAF', to be honest I've never heard about it. I'm not often on the forum recently, so is it some new thread or podcast? Could you share link to it?

Here you go, don't get lost...

http://gameofthronesandnorsemythology.blogspot.com

Archived