Martin Expecting to Finish by 2020

Yevah

It's finished when it's finished.

I mean, the first three came out in 1996-2000. Since then we've had 2005 and 2011. There's absolutely no way of knowing when the next book comes out.

As for publisher estimates - they have no idea either, until Martin sends them the manuscript. After that, they can plan the editing schedule and pencil in a release date.

10 hours ago, Sir Dominus said:

The last book will be somewhat faster for him to write I believe. He knows the general idea of how the series will end and that'll help with the writing speed.

I thought that after ADWD was released.

There is no way that ADOS will be out in 2020.  And I also believe there is very little chance that it will be the final book either.  From what we know about TWOW (Tyrion not really interacting with Dany etc.) I think it's safe to say the plot isn't going to advance much in the next novel.  Dany probably still won't have even reached Westeros.

9 hours ago, Rychard Wrythen said:

This is not far-fetched. Feast and Dragons were originally one book before he split it.

And yet the gap was massive, primarily because he rewrote a lot of ADWD.

And with the TV show in full flow I believe the reason for the delay in TWOW is because he is rewriting a lot of it so that the show won't spoil it.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if GRRM actually doesn't release it until after the TV series has concluded.  That way the TV show will still reap the rewards and it gives time for GRRM to completely change the original plot endings so that he still has his story too.

35 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

And yet the gap was massive, primarily because he rewrote a lot of ADWD.

And with the TV show in full flow I believe the reason for the delay in TWOW is because he is rewriting a lot of it so that the show won't spoil it.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if GRRM actually doesn't release it until after the TV series has concluded.  That way the TV show will still reap the rewards and it gives time for GRRM to completely change the original plot endings so that he still has his story too.

I would be willing to bet very good money that Martin never rewrites anything because of "spoilers". 

Just now, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

I would be willing to bet very good money that Martin never rewrites anything because of "spoilers". 

A few years ago I'd have agreed with you.  But he has changed his mind so much, done so many rewrites already and is obviously very pissed off that the show will steal his thunder, that I wouldn't put it past him.  I've got very little respect for the man and I highly doubt his integrity purely based on his treatment and attitude towards his readers.

Just now, Ser Gareth said:

A few years ago I'd have agreed with you.  But he has changed his mind so much, done so many rewrites already and is obviously very pissed off that the show will steal his thunder, that I wouldn't put it past him.  I've got very little respect for the man and I highly doubt his integrity purely based on his treatment and attitude towards his readers.

My reasoning is that Martin's difficulties started well before the TV show came on the scene. He's also been under significant pressure this past decade or so regarding delays - I think it very unlikely he'd consign the work he has done simply because of the TV show (the longer the delay, the more cynical his readers get, and the less likely they'll actually buy the book).

2 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

My reasoning is that Martin's difficulties started well before the TV show came on the scene. He's also been under significant pressure this past decade or so regarding delays - I think it very unlikely he'd consign the work he has done simply because of the TV show (the longer the delay, the more cynical his readers get, and the less likely they'll actually buy the book).

He is already rich and famous.  I don't think he cares much about his readership anymore.  But I do believe he has a massive ego and craves critical acclaim.  If the TV show spoils the endings of his books he will lose out on some of that critical acclaim, especially with the media highlighting he was beaten to the punch.

25 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

17 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

He is already rich and famous.  I don't think he cares much about his readership anymore.  But I do believe he has a massive ego and craves critical acclaim.  If the TV show spoils the endings of his books he will lose out on some of that critical acclaim, especially with the media highlighting he was beaten to the punch.

I've never come across such arrogance and entitlement even on here before. You question a man's integrity and accuse him of having a massive ego and craving acclaim because he doesn't write his books quick enough for you? GRRM doesn't owe you a thing. He's a writer, if you don't like the speed of his publishing then stop reading him. All those characters he created that you love reading about are just characters, they are not real, he's not keeping them in the dungeons of the Red Keep or a pyramid in between books. His cinema is a labour of love that gives back to his local community, he supports various charities voluntarily and there have been countless reports of his kindness and willingness to engage with fans. And you post like a spoiled child and question his integrity. Get over yourself, you are a fan, a reader, an audience member and you owe any good writer or artist or performer a debt of gratitude for entertaining you. They don't owe you anything except maybe a polite "thanks for reading/watching/listening". Any perceived relationship you feel you have is with the text only, not the person who creates it. 

17 minutes ago, BlueBard said:

I've never come across such arrogance and entitlement even on here before. You question a man's integrity and accuse him of having a massive ego and craving acclaim because he doesn't write his books quick enough for you? GRRM doesn't owe you a thing. He's a writer, if you don't like the speed of his publishing then stop reading him. All those characters he created that you love reading about are just characters, they are not real, he's not keeping them in the dungeons of the Red Keep or a pyramid in between books. His cinema is a labour of love that gives back to his local community, he supports various charities voluntarily and there have been countless reports of his kindness and willingness to engage with fans. And you post like a spoiled child and question his integrity. Get over yourself, you are a fan, a reader, an audience member and you owe any good writer or artist or performer a debt of gratitude for entertaining you. They don't owe you anything except maybe a polite "thanks for reading/watching/listening". Any perceived relationship you feel you have is with the text only, not the person who creates it. 

Whoosh!  That's the sound of the point flying past your head....

Archived