Historical church (Presbyterian) records abbreviations and understanding

I am trying to understand what this document is saying about Harriet McIntyre.

the 1850 census report shows her back in CT, (living with her family) with a husband and son (7) both born in VA, and 2 more kids (5 & 2) born in CT. Based on that, She moved back to CT around 1843-1845

Specifically, looking at these lines:

Harriet, adm. ch. July 17, 1831 [she's 13/14 yrs old]

Harriet, dism.& recom. Aug.3, 1834 to Presb. Church in Petersburg, Va. [16/17 yrs old]

Harriet, adm. ch. Jan5, 1837 from Presb. Church in Petersburg, Va. [19/20 yrs old]

Harriet, dism.& recom Apr 3, 1838 by letter to 4th Church, Hartford. [22/23 yrs old]

To me it looks like the McIntyre's sent their girls to a school in VA -- from CT. (this seems kind of weird to me, since there were schools in New England for girls, but that is another issue) 

It looks like "admitted" and "dismissed" and "recommended" but I am not sure. 

Would "dismissed" have been used the same as "completed" or "graduated" is today? "dismissed" in modern terms tends to have a negative connotation, but that doesn't seem right.

Why would she be "recommended" after finishing school at 22? 

I have been trying to find the Church/school mentioned.  I find little hits, but no full details yet (but I just looked a little at work and am still looking for more info)

Anyone have any ideas?

Isn't the Presbyterian church rather "formal" concerning admission to congregations? I mean "formal" in so far as references are required to join a congregation. I'm assuming those entries concern Harriet's admissions to and recommendations for the specific congregations in VA and CT. I'm guessing she had to formally leave one congregation before being admitted to another and that admission to a different congregation required a reference from her previous congregation. A sort of letter of good standing. I'm not sure that record is specifically for a school. Rather, I think it refers to a general congregation, of which education was just one part. What that record shows me is historical documentation of her bouncing between VA and CT. You may have already guessed this. If so, disregard.

ETA: Have you tried getting any info from the Presbyterian Historical Society? http://www.history.pcusa.org/

Here's a list of abreviations for an 19th century Cooperstown Presbyterian church. It shows what the abreviations indicate pretty well.

Compiled from an old typescript by Hugh MacDougall, June 2004

Notes:
* = Entered in pencil [apparently at a later date than main entries]
# = Received from another church
Rec = Recommended [to another church]
Rem = removed [to another location]
Dism = Dismissed [to another location]
L = Recommended to another Church by Letter -- only after 1840; or joined Church by Letter -- only after ca. 1854
P = Joined Church by Profession (utterance) -- only after 1854
B = Joined Church by Baptism [only after 1865]
{ [curly bracket] = Linked in original, indicating information relating to several individuals

DWS has given you the meanings here -- "dismissed and recommended" would be the equivalent back then of what Presbyterian churches do today when they "grant a letter of transfer" to someone who has moved to another community and wants to join another congregation. Even today the new congregation's session (governing body) has to agree to admit the person "by letter of transfer", so the original church is really "recommending" the member to the new one. 

Archived