The Bat and the Wolf?

Isobel Harper

On 2017-02-12 at 0:24 PM, Isobel Harper said:

I'm not sure exactly how Lady's death has truly altered Sansa, or how Sansa will "wake up" from Alayne or what will happen when she does.  We'll just have to wait for Winds to find out. 

Speaking of portmanteaus... does anyone else find it curious that every time someone calls Sansa "Lady Sansa," they are literally calling her HER plus her wolf? 

I know it's common knowledge that the names of the direwolves have importance, though the particular importance is still up for debate usually! Summer, Nymeria, and Ghost tend to be the focus of those discussions (along with the obligatory discussion on "Shaggydog"!) but most people seem to dismiss Lady's name as "Sansa's such a perfect lady, of course it fits" and ends there. This is making me wonder if having named her direwolf "Lady" was GRRM's way of reinforcing the idea that their direwolves will never truly leave them, by having Lady *constantly* with Sansa (especially through the KL storyline) every time someone called her "Lady Sansa." It also ensured that Cersei never really did succeed in separating Sansa from Lady completely. 

On 2017-02-12 at 0:37 PM, Blue-Eyed Wolf said:

Because Lady's bones are buried in Winterfell is important. Sansa will later say she feels "stronger within the walls of Winterfell" and bones are said to "remember," which is probably why they can be used in glamors or why an undead can retain some memory.  Cersei wanted Lady's pelt, but Ned denied her that.  The skin was still intact and may be symbollic of Sansa's skinchanging ability being still present, even if its dormant.  So maybe it's not really that altered so much that it needs a means of awakening.  In her isolation and imprisonment, she's been cut off from quite a bit. I think that's where her relationship with the Hound as a surrogate Lady comes in.  "A dog can smell a lie."  Smelling is an important metaphor in her arc for intuition and finding the truth.      

In regards to everything I've bolded in the above quotes: Since Lady's death Sansa has been cut off and isolated from the "weirnet" (for lack of a better term for now!) and I've been wondering if Sansa might "reconnect" with Lady once Sansa has access to a true weirwood heart tree once again. Someone else, who I forgot to quote, mentioned Darry...anyone know if Darry still has a weirwood heart tree? 

On 2017-02-14 at 3:37 PM, Isobel Harper said:

I was thinking it might relate to Sansa as a storyteller.  She reads to SR about his ancestor, Artys Arryn the Winged Knight, essentially teaching him history.  If she survives the Long Night 2.0, she could play a role in "passing down the story" of the events and characters involved in it. 

On 2017-02-14 at 10:02 PM, Blue-Eyed Wolf said:

That's a very good guess.  She's noted to be a very good writer, reader, singer, and supposely plays the high harp a little.  Could she be the writer of a new song?  A song would be a good way to pass down the "bard's truth" to a mostly illiterate society.  

I bet Sansa knows as many (or more?) of old Nan's stories as Bran does! Too bad she doesn't think about them!! I've always thought it strange that the only other Stark sibling who is so associated with songs and stories doesn't think at all about the stories she was told as a child...she's also the only Stark POV that we never see Winterfell through....I wonder now if those two things have something to do with each other...but I definitely see her taking on the storytelling role in a big picture way, not just telling children bedtime stories (though that's definitely a part of it). The one who shapes the narrative that all the "Old Nan's" pass down. 

Archived