Southron Conspiracy: would Aerys have been overthrown anyway even if he was not mad?

On 6/11/2016 at 11:30 AM, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

Roflmao, you sir have won the internet today... Mighty salute

I don't have any particular love for Aerys, but I absolutely hate the Baratheons and the Starks (including Jon.  I count him as a Stark).

On 5/30/2016 at 9:40 PM, nicephorus_phocas said:

If the Southern conspiracy is true, would the Targaryens have been overthrown anyway even if Aerys were not mad? Were the conspirators planning to turn Rhaegar into their puppet? 

The Southron Conspiracy has not been proven.  But let us say that it was true.  That would make Rickard Stark, Robert Baratheon, Jon Arryn, and Brandon Stark guilty of treason.  Aerys would have rooted them out eventually and had them executed.  No, I don't think the Targaryens would have been overthrown.  They got overthrown because Rhaegar was an idiot and fought Robert.  A smart prince would not do something stupid like that, putting the fate of the entire family dynasty on the outcome of one combat. 

On 5/30/2016 at 6:40 PM, nicephorus_phocas said:

If the Southern conspiracy is true, would the Targaryens have been overthrown anyway even if Aerys were not mad? Were the conspirators planning to turn Rhaegar into their puppet? 

I think it was only a matter of time until their reign was overthrown, ever since the last targaryen dragon died. The dragons were the real reason the kingdoms swore fealty to aegon the conquerer. without them, the targs weren't nearly as powerful. So to answer your question, it could have gone either way for aerys had he not been mad, but eventually, one of the targaryen kings would have been ousted. 

On 6/9/2016 at 9:14 AM, Lady_of_the_black said:

No way. Nobody wants war. If the king is just, then all is well in the realm. The kings craziness sparked the rebellion for sure.

You are right.. until a power hungry Lord starts a rebellion. The lords in westeros used to be kings. Dragons made them lords.. I'm sure a lot of the lords have thought about being kings again, especially since the dragons have been dead for awhile. I mean, if I was a lord in westeros during say, aegon V reign or jaehaerys II, I might seriously be thinking about starting an uprising.. And what's to stop me from winning? The fight would be pretty fair, without dragons.

Archived