Could have Loras Tyrell been able to kill The Mountain in the Hand's tourney?

mystickristoff

After the jousting defeat of The Mountain he tried to kill Loras but then The Hound intervened. Now, what if The Hound didn't intervene and Robert just watched, and Loras managed to run and grab his sword and shield or whichever weapon suited best to kill The Mountain, would Loras have been able to do it? Kill the mountain? The Mountain of course has his usual greatsword and both men were wearing armor at the time. Loras was an extremely skilled natural prodigy after all, according to Barristan and Jaime. Plus The Mountain just fell off his horse right before he tried to kill Loras.

37 minutes ago, fenr1s said:

As a jouster and rider but not as a swordsman.

No, he is a young prodigy like Jaime, Barristan, Daemon B, and others before them. Word of God has him ranked as top 6 warriors in the story. Problem is he is he will never reach his prime.

On the scenario, I'm not too sure. Loras is a much more talented fighter than Oberyn, but he's far too inexperienced. 

the whole Loras is a Prodigy thing I think is explained perfectly by Barristan in ASOS to Dany about Rheghar. Paraphrasing he say some along the lines of the best Warriors die in battle all the time. slipping on the grass or sun being in your eyes can change the odds so quickly, a skilled man might win a tourney and fall early in the next. 

Considering this point of view that Barristan gives us, We can't really consider anyone a Prodigy or whatever. Brienne defeats everyone in a Melee including Loras, she also does pretty well against Jamie in their little duel. Brienne will never be considered one of the best swords in Westeros only because shes a woman. 

I think the Mountain Kills Just about anyone most of the time because he's so big and so strong and faster than most men would expect that one simple mistake and your dead. 

Anyone can beat anyone, but in that situation I think that the Mountain kills Loras then the Hound kills the Mountain. 

1 hour ago, Twenty of House Goodmen said:

No, he is a young prodigy like Jaime, Barristan, Daemon B, and others before them. Word of God has him ranked as top 6 warriors in the story. Problem is he is he will never reach his prime.

On the scenario, I'm not too sure. Loras is a much more talented fighter than Oberyn, but he's far too inexperienced. 

Wow 6th is surprising!!! I wouldn't think him as anything more than a tourney knight anyway.

His brother maybe top 5-6?

13 minutes ago, Lord Rahvin said:

Wow 6th is surprising!!! I wouldn't think him as anything more than a tourney knight anyway.

His brother maybe top 5-6?

That's because these boards have a misconception that 'tourney knights' aren't good warriors when in fact the best tourney knights happen to be guys like Jaime, Barristan, Sandor, Gregor, and Arthur. In an SI interview, GRRM mentioned Loras alongside five other knights as the best in their profession. In an SSM, he had Loras in the same tier as the Clegane brothers.

In a 1-1 fight with rules, loras probably would have won. It would have been a good fight, at least. 

In the tourney situation, someone would have jumped in to help loras or the mountain would have killed him and ripped off his head or something insane. It would have started a shitshow and they likely would both end up dead.

6 hours ago, Lord Rahvin said:

If the Hound don't intervene Loras is a dead man...period. And that covers the "wounded" bit as well - he crushed Oberlyns skull while wounded so no concern there.

He crushed Oberyn's skull after Oberyn went in to stand within arm's reach of the mountain. Any victory against the mountain has to be predicated on not letting him get his hands on you, because Gregor is possibly literally the strongest man in the world. The rough fall might just make that easier - a slight limp is a slight speed disadvantage.

I think the ability is definitely there... I think there are several warriors in the story who, at least in their prime, could take down the Mountain.  The problem is, I think just the opposite is equally possible.  The Mountain is incredibly lethal, mistakes don´t cost you a few nicks and scratches, or even an arm or leg, you wind up dead.  In that specific situation, I see Loras coming out dead 4 out of 5 times, because The Mountain has lethal intent from go and Loras is not expecting some crazy to go off on him in the middle of a tourney.  In a true duel where both are ready to kill, I would put the odds more at Loras winning 3 out of 5 times.  

On 13/07/2016 at 4:38 AM, House Beaudreau said:

the whole Loras is a Prodigy thing I think is explained perfectly by Barristan in ASOS to Dany about Rheghar. Paraphrasing he say some along the lines of the best Warriors die in battle all the time. slipping on the grass or sun being in your eyes can change the odds so quickly, a skilled man might win a tourney and fall early in the next. 

Considering this point of view that Barristan gives us, We can't really consider anyone a Prodigy or whatever. Brienne defeats everyone in a Melee including Loras, she also does pretty well against Jamie in their little duel. Brienne will never be considered one of the best swords in Westeros only because shes a woman. 

I think the Mountain Kills Just about anyone most of the time because he's so big and so strong and faster than most men would expect that one simple mistake and your dead. 

Anyone can beat anyone, but in that situation I think that the Mountain kills Loras then the Hound kills the Mountain. 

The Mountain is a bruiser. He's a giant whose freaky strong, he's fast for his size and he's been given knight training. That means that a common guy (low/mid tier sellsword, hedge knights, peasants) stand no chance against him.

The typical nobleman's son will also struggle against the Mountain. They may have superior training to him (he's Tywin's bruiser not son) but they are used to be treated like nobility ie with trainers who would probably lose their lives if they hurt them too much. The Mountain won't treat them with kiddie gloves. He will go full frontal using his giant stature and the fear factor to hack them into pieces.

The only people I can think of who stand a good chance of beating him are noblemen who are experienced to actual fighting (ie not Loras). The Mountain may be tough but as said he's been given the training of a bruiser not that of a Lord Paramount's son and had spent most of his life hacking peasants. We've seen it already how he got exposed against Oberyn Martell and he would probably struggle against a Prime Selmy, Sir Arthur Dayne or a prime Robert Baratheon. In today's world he would better watch out against Brienne, his own brother and Gerold Dayne, 

I think Loras would have been killed because he is too inexpirienced, yes he is talented but not battle hardened. Ned didn't choose him to chase Gregor in riverlands for that reason.

I doubt it. Given the fact the hound saved him just before the killing blow, he was on the ground ''stunned'' I was shocked when the first blow to his chest didn't kill him since the mountain killed the horse with one blow

11 minutes ago, desire said:

I doubt it. Given the fact the hound saved him just before the killing blow, he was on the ground ''stunned'' I was shocked when the first blow to his chest didn't kill him since the mountain killed the horse with one blow

Most likely because mountain used sword, if he had used mace or war hammer he would have died most likely one blow.

Archived