Did Hodor recognize Bran?

LordImp

After episode 5 of season 6 i have wondered about one thing , did Hodor recognize Bran?

Bran was at WF with 3ER , while in present time he warged into Hodor and when he did that young Hodor at Winterfell saw Bran.

so did Hodor recognize Bran later ? When Bran grew up at Winterfell , did Hodor recognize him as the boy who visited WF when he was young? 

On 16/11/2016 at 7:45 PM, LordImp said:

After episode 5 of season 6 i have wondered about one thing , did Hodor recognize Bran?

Bran was at WF with 3ER , while in present time he warged into Hodor and when he did that young Hodor at Winterfell saw Bran.

so did Hodor recognize Bran later ? When Bran grew up at Winterfell , did Hodor recognize him as the boy who visited WF when he was young? 

Could be, but I don't think young Hodor recognised the familiar face of Bran after he lost the ability to talk.

On 11/16/2016 at 1:45 PM, LordImp said:

Young Hodor SAW Bran???

I could be wrong, but that's not my memory of it, or my understanding of how the greenseeing works.

My understanding is that when Bran and 3ER had visions of the past, they were invisible to the people actually in the past.

For example, when they went to the ToJ, neither Ned or Howland Reed reacted to them being there. The remarkable thing was that Ned might have somehow heard Bran.

Also, when Bran was walking among the army of the dead, they did not react to him. The remarkable thing was that the Night King DID see him and react to him.

I don't think young Hodor ever SAW Bran, or even realized in any way that Bran was 'there" in the past.

10 minutes ago, Cron said:

Young Hodor SAW Bran???

I could be wrong, but that's not my memory of it, or my understanding of how the greenseeing works.

My understanding is that when Bran and 3ER had visions of the past, they were invisible to the people actually in the past.

For example, when they went to the ToJ, neither Ned or Howland Reed reacted to them being there. The remarkable thing was that Ned might have somehow heard Bran.

Also, when Bran was walking among the army of the dead, they did not react to him. The remarkable thing was that the Night King DID see him and react to him.

I don't think young Hodor ever SAW Bran, or even realized in any way that Bran was 'there" in the past.

Rewatch that scene. Hodor definetly saw Bran. 

8 hours ago, LordImp said:

Rewatch that scene. Hodor definetly saw Bran. 

Very interesting.

Now that Season 6 is out on Blu-Ray, I expect to buy it soon, re-watch it all, and pay close attention to that.

Exactly which scene are you talking about, though?  The "hold the door" scene?  You might even have to describe the exact moment, cuz I'm not sure how I will know Hodor SAW Bran just by watching video of Hodor's face, but I will do my best.  Once again, though, if you could try to describe the exact moment, that would be helpful.

Not sure how Hodor could possibly have seen Bran, though. My understanding is that the reason Ned could hear Bran is cuz of the Stark blood connection, and the reason that the Night King saw Bran and could interact with him was b/c of the magic connection, AND possibly a Stark blood connection (this is not a spoiler, cuz it's just a theory so far as I know, but there's a theory that the Night King actually IS an ancient Stark)

But none of this applies to Hodor, so how could he have possibly seen Bran?? 

6 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes, I think so too, or, at least, had the feeling someone was observing him from there.

Well, this is fun conversation of course, as always, but please see my reply to LordImp.

Also, you're saying you think Hodor might have had a "feeling someone was observing hime," but THE central question LordImp is asking (indeed, the very title of this thread) Is "Did Hodor recognize Bran?"

And frankly, I don't now how Hodor could recognize Bran later in life based on a feeling from so many years earlier,but maybe he had a similar feeling, I guess.  In any event, I'm not sure we'll ever know such a thing, unless GRRM is very explicit about it in the books (since "Hold the Door"  IS canon, as i strongly understand it)

But hey, like I told LordImp, Season 6 is out on Blu-Ray now, so I'll try to take a look.

I do think it's possible that Hodo began to recognize Bran.

After I watched 'Hold the Door' I re read Bran's chapter in A Dance with Dragons where Meera and Jojen want to explore and can't take Bran with them so he slips into Hodor and we get a reveal that Hodor had been trying to from Bran to stop him from Warging him.

So I think Hodor could defiantly sense something familiar.

Spoiler

Bran remembered a time when no one could climb as good as him, not even Robb or Jon. Part of him wanted to shout at them for leaving him, and another part wanted to cry. He was almost a man grown, though, so he said nothing. But after they were gone, he slipped inside Hodor’s skin and followed them.
The big stableboy no longer fought him as he had the first time, back in the lake tower during the storm. Like a dog who has had all the fight whipped out of him, Hodor would curl up and hide whenever Bran reached out for him. His hiding place was somewhere deep within him, a pit where not even Bran could touch him. No one wants to hurt you, Hodor, he said silently, to the child-man whose
flesh he’d taken. I just want to be strong again for a while. I’ll give it back, the way I always do.

I don't know if everyone has read or wants to read the books so the quote is in a spoiler tag.

3 hours ago, Cron said:

Very interesting.

Now that Season 6 is out on Blu-Ray, I expect to buy it soon, re-watch it all, and pay close attention to that.

Exactly which scene are you talking about, though?  The "hold the door" scene?  You might even have to describe the exact moment, cuz I'm not sure how I will know Hodor SAW Bran just by watching video of Hodor's face, but I will do my best.  Once again, though, if you could try to describe the exact moment, that would be helpful.

Not sure how Hodor could possibly have seen Bran, though. My understanding is that the reason Ned could hear Bran is cuz of the Stark blood connection, and the reason that the Night King saw Bran and could interact with him was b/c of the magic connection, AND possibly a Stark blood connection (this is not a spoiler, cuz it's just a theory so far as I know, but there's a theory that the Night King actually IS an ancient Stark)

But none of this applies to Hodor, so how could he have possibly seen Bran?? 

The moment before Hodor starts to scream Hold the door at Winterfell. Seems to me that Bran and Hodor shared some eye contact. Or as @Meera of Tarth said , Hodor might have just sensed Bran. 

Interesting about the Stark blood connection. I'm totally onboard with Night King being a Stark , maybe even the first Stark. 

51 minutes ago, WarriorWitch said:

I do think it's possible that Hodo began to recognize Bran.

After I watched 'Hold the Door' I re read Bran's chapter in A Dance with Dragons where Meera and Jojen want to explore and can't take Bran with them so he slips into Hodor and we get a reveal that Hodor had been trying to from Bran to stop him from Warging him.

So I think Hodor could defiantly sense something familiar.

Hide contents

Bran remembered a time when no one could climb as good as him, not even Robb or Jon. Part of him wanted to shout at them for leaving him, and another part wanted to cry. He was almost a man grown, though, so he said nothing. But after they were gone, he slipped inside Hodor’s skin and followed them.
The big stableboy no longer fought him as he had the first time, back in the lake tower during the storm. Like a dog who has had all the fight whipped out of him, Hodor would curl up and hide whenever Bran reached out for him. His hiding place was somewhere deep within him, a pit where not even Bran could touch him. No one wants to hurt you, Hodor, he said silently, to the child-man whose
flesh he’d taken. I just want to be strong again for a while. I’ll give it back, the way I always do.

I don't know if everyone has read or wants to read the books so the quote is in a spoiler tag.

Yes , I agree. 

11 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Fair question but at minimal, heard the voice. Also, it makes me think, Bran may be able to go back in the past and change the future. Books and show but I doubt that would come into play on the show, so never mind.

the show played with the idea when visited the tower of joy twice. The first time Ned hears Bran's voice, like in the books when Ned is in the Godswoods. The second time we see Ned also noticing Bran's presence again despite of the fact that this time Bran was not doing it.

what we don't know of Bran (another from the future timeline and all the Brans than preceded our Bran have done it exactly like our Bran) or if the Brans that have yet to exist will do it again.

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

the show played with the idea when visited the tower of joy twice. The first time Ned hears Bran's voice, like in the books when Ned is in the Godswoods. The second time we see Ned also noticing Bran's presence again despite of the fact that this time Bran was not doing it.

what we don't know of Bran (another from the future timeline and all the Brans than preceded our Bran have done it exactly like our Bran) or if the Brans that have yet to exist will do it again.

I am intrigued by the possibilities but one thing is for certain. Bran is going to know who is true and false, good and bad etc or the show has implied that. Bran now knows "everything".

45 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

I am intrigued by the possibilities but one thing is for certain. Bran is going to know who is true and false, good and bad etc or the show has implied that. Bran now knows "everything".

yep I agree. I love Bran's powers!

2 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

To me, Bran, out of all the Starks (Jon included), he, Bran is the one that cannot be lost, he is that important. Oh, and yeah, the Kingdom of the North and Winterfell are his, Rightfully so.

yes, his role is pivotal, and let's not forget that Martin loves writing about cripples, bastards, and broken things.

Bran is not only a Lord, he is a greenseer and he will help his siblings in the future, it would be awesome if he was kind of a leader, or something, guiding everyone.

20 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

yes, his role is pivotal, and let's not forget that Martin loves writing about cripples, bastards, and broken things.

Bran is not only a Lord, he is a greenseer and he will help his siblings in the future, it would be awesome if he was kind of a leader, or something, guiding everyone.

I am most intrigued by his potential to warg, maybe the undead away from the enemy, dragons, etc. I always thought that he is perhaps the great hero that will possibly save the living, not Jon, he will play a part no doubt but without Bran, all is lost or atleast I think so.

4 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

I am most intrigued by his potential to warg, maybe the undead away from the enemy, dragons, etc. I always thought that he is perhaps the great hero that will possibly save the living, not Jon, he will play a part no doubt but without Bran, all is lost or atleast I think so.

I also think the same! He as the great hero, the one in the shadows, possibly warging animals to save the world, and also using his abilities to lead them all. Well, if he was the General in that war I'd personally be thrilled. After all, he is an intelligent person, his place is not in the battle, although he could warg and fight too.

Infinite possibilities for him. The character with more powers than anyone, more responsibility, the younger (except for Rickon), and the first POV in ASOIAF.

Just now, Meera of Tarth said:

I also think the same! He as the great hero, the one in the shadows, possibly warging animals to save the world, and also using his abilities to lead them all. Well, if he was the General in that war I'd personally be thrilled. After all, he is an intelligent person, his place is not in the battle, although he could warg and fight too.

Infinite possibilities for him. The character with more powers than anyone, more responsibility, the younger (except for Rickon), and the first POV in ASOIAF.

The Books role for him will be huge. The TV remains to be seen. I really, really do not like the idea of Jon betraying him potentially.

3 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

The Books role for him will be huge. The TV remains to be seen. I really, really do not like the idea of Jon betraying him potentially.

I don't think Jon will betray him never. Well, I hope.

Yep, in the books he is the hero in the shadows, totally agree. And I think he will have a great role in the show too, although not as relevant as in the books, but they will play with the main ideas as well. They will probably focus more on the fan favoruites (well, the ones who they think are fan favourites) but Bran is there for a reason. The ending is teh same.

I miss those times when Jon was not openly a favourite, in the earlier seasons. I loved the show because of those details. Everyone had their own story.

Archived