Thin theory...

Illyrio Mo'Parties

7 hours ago, Fencer said:

I find this to be a very interesting topic, particularly just the concept of "thin" places.  I am a little surprised though, that the first potential location that came to my mind hasn't been discusses yet: Valyria.

Certainly there was massive loss of life during the Doom, preceded by the suffering and death of those that had been enslaved, as well as an apparent abundance of magic and potentially practice of blood magic.  Now, we're told that this is a place where demons walk.  To my mind, this seems like it could be a prime candidate for a place where the fabric between worlds has worn quite thin.

Thinner than thin, really. It seems like whatever happened to Valyria made it a realm where the wall between Planetos and the underworld / magical realms / etc is essentially nonexistant. Demons and monsters come forth, and to enter there is certain death.

Actually, I sometimes wonder if the big endgame to ASoIaF won't involve some "thin supreme" place like Valyria: either the Others come from another such magical hot spot, or one of the battle sites in the second War for the Dawn will become one, a place so thin that Harrenhal and the Nightfort are just pale approximations.

18 hours ago, For Highgarden said:

I love the thought of the godswoods being thin places. Do you think there is a possibility that weirwood trees are indicative of possible thin places? Could they alternatively connect the thin places to one another? Did the red woman burning trees create some bad MOJO? 

Yes to all that. I suppose they've certainly seen some horrible shit over the years, as Bran witnesses, and as Davos learns:

"Then a long cruel winter fell," said Ser Bartimus. "The White Knife froze hard, and even the firth was icing up. The winds came howling from the north and drove them slavers inside to huddle round their fires, and whilst they warmed themselves the new king come down on them. Brandon Stark this was, Edrick Snowbeard's great-grandson, him that men called Ice Eyes. He took the Wolf's Den back, stripped the slavers naked, and gave them to the slaves he'd found chained up in the dungeons. It's said they hung their entrails in the branches of the heart tree, as an offering to the gods. The old gods, not these new ones from the south. Your Seven don't know winter, and winter don't know them."

Davos could not argue with the truth of that. From what he had seen at Eastwatch-by-the-Sea, he did not care to know winter either. "What gods do you keep?" he asked the one-legged knight.

"The old ones." When Ser Bartimus grinned, he looked just like a skull. "Me and mine were here before the Manderlys. Like as not, my own forebears strung those entrails through the tree."

"I never knew that northmen made blood sacrifice to their heart trees."

"There's much and more you southrons do not know about the north," Ser Bartimus replied.

9 hours ago, Fencer said:

... Valyria.

Certainly there was massive loss of life during the Doom, preceded by the suffering and death of those that had been enslaved, as well as an apparent abundance of magic and potentially practice of blood magic.  Now, we're told that this is a place where demons walk.  To my mind, this seems like it could be a prime candidate for a place where the fabric between worlds has worn quite thin.

Valyria would certainly count, although I've always dismissed a literal interpretation of stuff like "where demons walk". But I've got no good reason to.

Very interesting, although i don't think Roose was trying to create a "thin" place. I would counter that aside from military reasons maybe the RW was so brutal because he was under the influence of a "thin" place in Harrenhal when he planned it. Amory, Gregor, Hoat, Roose perhaps the "thin-ness" of Harrenhal amplified their cruelty.

36 minutes ago, The Fresh PtwP said:

Very interesting, although i don't think Roose was trying to create a "thin" place. I would counter that aside from military reasons maybe the RW was so brutal because he was under the influence of a "thin" place in Harrenhal when he planned it. Amory, Gregor, Hoat, Roose perhaps the "thin-ness" of Harrenhal amplified their cruelty.

Ooh, interesting notion. Perhaps the Dreadfort's a thin place and that's why he's such a bastard?

Archived