Which houses have the most Baratheon Blood?

UFT

4 hours ago, LionoftheWest said:

They would for a king's bastard.

Just recall the reaction of Robb's bannermen and mother to his great idea to name Jon Snow his heir. They didn't like that idea, especially not the Riverlords.

Nobody in Westeros sees Edric Storm as a potential heir to the Iron Throne.

The Starks haven't regained anything. The Bolton holds the lands and its the Baratheons, those evil wicked Baratheons who are fighting to expel the Boltons, not any Starks.

But the Starks will reclaim Winterfell anyway, and Stannis and Shireen will die. And the Starks will reclaim Winterfell because the North (and perhaps even all of Westeros) actually does believe that the North belongs to the Starks. Just as the people believe in their majority that the Iron Throne belongs to the Targaryens.

I've read the books. Viserys is a lunatic trapped in a fantasy world and unable to deal with reality. There's no reason to think he'd break out as a balanced and stabile person if he was pampered some. I am of the opinion that if you don't have training for or experience with something, you're not going to excell at it, thus Viserys isn't going to excell at ruling anything, let alone the Seven Kingdoms. And the fact that Viserys both uses threats and direct physical abuse against his sister as well as holding Danaerys as a pet more than a person does not tell well for his people management skills. He'll be hated within a forthnight.

Dany is irrelevant to all this. Viserys isn't really cruel to her because he hates or anything like that. Yes, he blames her for the loss of their mother but he really loves her. What he cannot suffer is the fact that she - his little sister - is now more important than he is. That is why he reacts the way he does to her offer of reconciliation. Dany suddenly being a queen in her own right is the one loss he cannot suffer.

But in any case - she is the only one he mistreats. And that happens behind closed doors. Nobody abandoned Aerys II because he raped his sister-wife.

Viserys III would be little more than a nice puppet if he returned to Westeros as king, just as Daemon II Blackfyre would have been. The man is unstable and afraid but he shows no cruel tendencies like Aerys II (in his later madness), Aerion, or Maegor.

You are inventing things that aren't there. You see how he reacts in the end when he Drogo grants him his crown. He was making empty threats. He never wanted to harm Dany or kill her child, he was just drunk and trying to be a hard man.

Indeed. They'll pick a new Baratheon, just like they scrambled for a Baratheon during the start of the War of Five Kings and no one cared to even raise the possibility of a new Targaryen. And in fact even after Renly was dead and the news of Joffrey's parentage was out, no one still lifted a finger to get a Targaryen across the waters. So much for the loyalty to the House of the Dragon.

Edric Storm isn't a Baratheon. Nobody ever gave shit about him.

People are plotting for a Targaryen restoration during the War of the Five Kings. And if the Dothraki and Viserys III had come they would have abandoned 'King Renly' or 'King Stannis' or 'King Joffrey' quickly enough. None of those people has as good a clam as Viserys III. And the people know and believe that.

Of course they can. Kings can legitimize bastards and the Hand speaks with the king's voice. Until the king counteracts the Hand, what the Hand does is standing. Especially when there's no king around. Just like Bloodraven could summon a Great Council to decide who should be the next king after Maekar.

We have no precedent for a Hand ever legitimizing a bastard. It would be controversial and I'm sure the Targaryen loyalists in Westeros wouldn't bent the knee to some bastard boy king.

And I base the idea of Jon Arryn putting Edric Baratheon on the throne because Jon Arryn is an honorable man of integrity. Not a Targaryen lickspittle sucking up for the chance of a morsel.

You actually don't know Jon Arryn nor his feelings towards the Targaryens. Nothing indicates that he wants to bent the knee to a bastard boy king, either.

No, Viserys would take Eddard's head and wave it infront of Jon Snow's face to prove his power. Viserys hates the usurper's dogs because they defeated the Targaryens. There is no coming back from that in regards to that madman.

This is ridiculous. The Mormonts fought against the Targaryens, too, if you recall. Yet Viserys III was willing to forgive Ser Jorah Mormont in a heartbeat when he rediscovered his true Targaryen loyalty. If a man like Eddard Stark did the same he would gladly welcome him to his service, too. Viserys is much more about getting back home to the Red Keep than about killing people.

Even Daenerys forgave Ser Barristan Selmy.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

Just recall the reaction of Robb's bannermen and mother to his great idea to name Jon Snow his heir. They didn't like that idea, especially not the Riverlords.

That's because Cat still has live children and because the Tullys would feel cheated of their familiar link to Winterfell. Its a whole different thing if the entire trueborn family of the king has died. Also note that the king's power is absolute and thus the Hand, speaking in the king's absence, has absolute power and thus it don't matter what people like or think about it. They are bound to obey and honorable men will follow the command from the king's Hand. Or have you already forgotten the long discussion we had about this in regards to the Dance of the Dragons?

Nobody in Westeros sees Edric Storm as a potential heir to the Iron Throne.

That's because Robert has like six publically acknowledged trueborn Baratheon heirs as it is. There's no need for a bastard to come into the spotlight at a time like that. But if the dynasty would be trimmed down then Edric would suddenly become a very potential and correct heir for the king.

But the Starks will reclaim Winterfell anyway, and Stannis and Shireen will die. And the Starks will reclaim Winterfell because the North (and perhaps even all of Westeros) actually does believe that the North belongs to the Starks. Just as the people believe in their majority that the Iron Throne belongs to the Targaryens.

We don't know yet how it will pan out. But the majority of people don't care a whiff about the Targaryen and their claims. They want healthy children, good harvests and a summer that never ends.

Dany is irrelevant to all this. Viserys isn't really cruel to her because he hates or anything like that. Yes, he blames her for the loss of their mother but he really loves her. What he cannot suffer is the fact that she - his little sister - is now more important than he is. That is why he reacts the way he does to her offer of reconciliation. Dany suddenly being a queen in her own right is the one loss he cannot suffer.

But in any case - she is the only one he mistreats. And that happens behind closed doors. Nobody abandoned Aerys II because he raped his sister-wife.

Its very relevant since it tells us what kind of person that Viserys became. It tells us that he's jealous, petty minded and always ready to hurt or attempt to hurt those he has power over for, well, petty reasons. Just like Aerys couldn't stand that Tywin was more kingly than him or that Rhaegar was more loved, so Viserys couldn't stand that Danaerys rose higher than him, and just like Aerys, Viserys tried to cut down those who dared to rise above him in any way. That's why Jorah points out to Danaerys that Viserys is "the shadow of a snake". 

Viserys III would be little more than a nice puppet if he returned to Westeros as king, just as Daemon II Blackfyre would have been. The man is unstable and afraid but he shows no cruel tendencies like Aerys II (in his later madness), Aerion, or Maegor.

He would make as nice a puppet as Aerys II, for Viserys is in every way his father's son.

You are inventing things that aren't there. You see how he reacts in the end when he Drogo grants him his crown. He was making empty threats. He never wanted to harm Dany or kill her child, he was just drunk and trying to be a hard man.

Only if you discount the "wake the dragon" thing and all the times Viserys has attempt to bully, mistreat or abuse Danaerys across the first book.

Edric Storm isn't a Baratheon. Nobody ever gave shit about him.

They will care a great deal when he comes to his father's throne and when he is legitimized as a Baratheon.

People are plotting for a Targaryen restoration during the War of the Five Kings. And if the Dothraki and Viserys III had come they would have abandoned 'King Renly' or 'King Stannis' or 'King Joffrey' quickly enough. None of those people has as good a clam as Viserys III. And the people know and believe that.

Not really. Varys and Illyrio are plotting and constantly changing their plans because their plots just won't work out as intended to the point that the two Targaryens around, Danaerys and Aegon, can't coordinate a restoration but each goes their own way. And Doran is slowly killing off House Martell while "plotting" for the Targaryens to return. Anyway, people flocked to fight for the rebellion while there was a Targaryen sitting on the Iron Throne and people rose with Blackfyre against the Targaryens. This loyalty to House Targaryen you speak of is the great shadow of a mouse.

We have no precedent for a Hand ever legitimizing a bastard. It would be controversial and I'm sure the Targaryen loyalists in Westeros wouldn't bent the knee to some bastard boy king.

New situation requires new solutions. There' no doubt that some fools will protest and no doubt that the vast majority will go along and Edric will inherit the throne from his father.

You actually don't know Jon Arryn nor his feelings towards the Targaryens. Nothing indicates that he wants to bent the knee to a bastard boy king, either.

He was ready to rise in rebellion. He was ready to be Robert's Hand for over a decade. I think that's all we need to know about Jon as far as his relation with House Targaryen goes. And I see no reason to think that he would piss on Robert's grave by refusing Robert's one noble bastard son a legitimization and the throne.

This is ridiculous. The Mormonts fought against the Targaryens, too, if you recall. Yet Viserys III was willing to forgive Ser Jorah Mormont in a heartbeat when he rediscovered his true Targaryen loyalty. If a man like Eddard Stark did the same he would gladly welcome him to his service, too. Viserys is much more about getting back home to the Red Keep than about killing people.

Jorah wasn't a key commander of the alliance that drove off the Targaryens. In fact I'd wager he was pretty much a nobody as far as kings and Lords Paramounts were concerned, in that war.

Even Daenerys forgave Ser Barristan Selmy.

Danaerys isn't Viserys though. She has much more empathy and a working brain.

Robert had 16 kids for sure, it surely seems like Gendry is destined for great things however we can't ignore that Mya and Edric were acknowledged I do believe that at some point Edric will claim Storms End however it will not be for long but that is another story. 

At this point we have to keep a couple things in mind, the kingdom's are broken up again for the first time in years so Edric or Gendry can claim the Stormlands. Let's not forget that the lords of the Stormlands are sworn to House Baratheon and his blood. They loved Robert he was their hero and both boys look exactly like him.

Another thing to consider is the very strong chance Jon Snow ends up ruler of the 7 Kingdoms and he will not care if someone is s bastard, I believe he will restore that House.

As for a blood line that is out there still I have a theory I am working on that the Kettleblacks are somehow descended from House Baratheon and House Strong. I'm not sure what the angle would be on this one, I had considered that Lyonal Baratheons daughter who Prince Duncan snubbed maybe married one of Ser Simon Strong's sons or ran off with him. Only problem is that the timeline is so far back it wouldn't matter. The Kettleblacks could be linked to wanting Harrenhal. 

Some things that tie all these families together is the Kettleblacks being the exact size of Robert with cold black hair and thick black chest hair.

A lot of the first names are the same as well but maybe it is a coincidence because the Whents also share similar names.

We have these:

Robert Strong - Robert Baratheon a hint?

Osmond Strong - Osmund Kettleblack

Lyonal Strong - Lyonel Baratheon 

Duncan Strong - Duncan Targaryen breaking his betrothal started it all perhaps maybe his child married into the Baratheon Strong line and this is where we get the hooked noses.

Quotes about Orys Baratheon

My shield, my stalwart, my strong right hand.[3]

Archived