Favorite single combat scenes

Calibandar

- Kain vs. Raziel (Legacy of Kain: Defiance)

Holy hell, yes. One of the most memorable duels ever for me, because I am obsessed with those games. I sobbed the whole way, because dammit I love both those boys.

My favourite single-combat scene in a book is Iorek Byrnison vs the Bear King in Northern Lights. So savage and so very vivdly written.

I think that Joscelin vs Anyone is pretty cool too, but there's a scene in Kushiel's Avatar that just stays with me, when he gives a cold smile and goes to town on a whole heap of people, and the bodies piled higher and higher.

And yeah; Inigo Montoya vs The Man in Black is an utter classic. I remember scarely breathing when I watched that scene as a child, and it gets me even now.

Holy hell, yes. One of the most memorable duels ever for me, because I am obsessed with those games. I sobbed the whole way, because dammit I love both those boys.

Yes! Agreed! I groaned when you start off playing as Kain, because I was pretty sure you'd play as both during that battle, so then by that logic Kain would probably lose. I love both of them but I'm a biiit more fond of Kain that Razzy. Probably because I started at BO1. And when Raziel used Kain's battlecry as a mockery...oh dear!

My favourite single-combat scene in a book is Iorek Byrnison vs the Bear King in Northern Lights. So savage and so very vivdly written.

Damn! How could I have forgotten that? It was brilliant! I cheered when Iorek ripped the Iofur's jaw off. And the tricking! Awesome!

You know, I'm not a huge fan of anime, but there's one called Ninja Scroll, which has a number of awesome single combats. My favorite is the last one, Jubei vs Lord Gemma.

I second this one. Also second the Iofur/Yorek duel from The Golden Compass. What about Kung-Fu flicks! There are loads of great single combat sequences in those films.

Just to name a couple:

Drunken Master 2: Chan's final battle with Ken Lo.

Once Upon a Time in China: Jet Li versus the guy while fighting on the ladders

I think that Joscelin vs Anyone is pretty cool too,

I found the combat scenes with Joscelin to be so annoying that I almost wasn't able to complete the trilogy. It seemed that there was no problem so difficult that it couldn't be solved by Joscelin single-handedly dispatching an absurd number of opponents, or by Phèdre going to bed with the right person.

Invincible über-heros make poor literary characters.

You know, I'm not a huge fan of anime, but there's one called Ninja Scroll, which has a number of awesome single combats. My favorite is the last one, Jubei vs Lord Gemma.

Well, if we're opening that can of worms...Kenshiro vs. Jagi in The Fist of the North Star. Exploding heads for the win.

If we're including anime, I got a few to name.

Lord Darcia vs. Kiba/Tsume/Hige/Blue in Wolf's Rain

Seeing Lord Darcia effortlessly and brutally murder most of the cast in the span of 10 minutes had me gawking in horror. Lord Darcia was a neat villain, but god dammit, I liked Hige!

San vs. Lady Eboshi in Princess Mononoke

"Think your spear and acrobatics and feral ferocity are so hot? TASTE MY RIFLE, BITCH! Oh, still wanna fight? I'll do it the old fashioned way and just gut you." Ok, not a quote of course, but that pretty much summed up my reaction. Lady Eboshi was a great character. Flawed but cool.

Agreeing with Ninja Scrolls.

Basilisk had some good fights too.

Just been reading Beren and Luthien's tale in the Silmarillion again and I have to mention Huan's battle with Sauron as the Werewolf. Tremendous. Also, Finrod, using all his remaining Noldorin might to free himself from his iron bonds to defend his companion Beren from the approaching werewolf, slaying him with his hands and teeth, and dying in the process of doing so. Ferocious. Such a shame he lost the duel of songs to Sauron.

* Red Viper vs Gregor Clegane

Best I've ever read, hands down. Just an incredible scene, IMO. So good I can barely put it into words.

You also listed Anasûrimbor Kellhus' fights from the Prince of Nothing trilogy, I saw. Now, I haven't read the last book just yet, but up until now I'll have to disagree, I'm afraid. For Kellhus it was just too easy. The only good fight was with Cnaiür, up in the mountains (it must be said that I liked that one) in The Darkness That Comes Before.

Also, I think that Kalam's fight with the legions of Imperial Claws in Steven Erikson's Deadhouse Gates was excellent, if a bit unrealistic. Cool for sheer "one badass alone" awesomeness.

I wasn't so impressed with

* Hector vs Achilles from The Iliad

Hector actualy scores a hit on Achiles, who misses. He won because he had that infinitly intracate shield guarding him and Athene to bring him back his spear and distract Hector.

The greatest part of that tale is when Paris pleads for his son's body back. Probably the most touching thing I've ever read. But some of the fight scenes are awesome.

But the best single fight in Homer is when Oddyseus is playing at being a begger, and another begger comes in and the suiters have them fight. So one sided, yet so funny.

I wasn't so impressed with

Hector actualy scores a hit on Achiles, who misses. He won because he had that infinitly intracate shield guarding him and Athene to bring him back his spear and distract Hector.

The greatest part of that tale is when Paris pleads for his son's body back. Probably the most touching thing I've ever read. But some of the fight scenes are awesome.

But the best single fight in Homer is when Oddyseus is playing at being a begger, and another begger comes in and the suiters have them fight. So one sided, yet so funny.

True. I prefer Hector far above Achilles, whom I see as an arrogant exponent of pride, not honor. It is no wonder that Hector was listed as an example of chivalry to all, and not Achilles.

BTW, it was Priam who pleaded for Hector's body, not Paris ;)

Archived