Daenerys, Quaithe, and Asshai

Bowen Marsh

On 5/10/2018 at 6:03 PM, Bowen Marsh said:

Quaithe is very keen on protecting Daenerys and her dragons.  She also beckons the young Targaryen heroine to visit Asshai.  For truth, she claims.  Quaithe also said "Dragons are fire made flesh and fire is POWER!"  Whosoever can control dragons will have great power.  

Quaithe has a lot of knowledge.  Asshai is similar to Oldtown because it is a center for learning.  You could say they are on opposite ends when it comes to curriculum.  Magic in Asshai, science in Oldtown.  We already saw the philosophical clash between magic and science.  Mellisandre and Cressen.  I do not think this will be the only clash between these two philosophies.  The maesters have had the upper hand for many centuries with the spellbinders and the Children of the Forest having kept a fairly low profile.  At least in the west and most of the east.  I can see how this might change when the long night comes and science has no explanation for the climate change. 

• Bloodraven kept himself hidden for years.  Why did he choose to keep his existence secret from Aemon?  A mistrust of the maesters?
  • What arcane knowledge might be hidden in Asshai?  
  • There are no children and no animals in Asshai.  The poison in the air is more harmful to them in comparison to the adults.  That sounds suspicious to me.  It will take a lot more to poison a large animal like an ox compared to an average human.  Blood sacrifices to the gods?  
  • The mask.  Fashion trend or protection device?  
  • Asshai covers more area than KL, Oldtown, and Volantis combined.  We must assume that there once was a large population long ago.  Human populations grow.  Not in this place.  It reduced itself.  Too many blood sacrifices?  Natural disaster, like the Doom?
  • Ghost Grass.  All that magic and they can't stop this weed.  

Maybe Aemon is not susceptible to having his dreams invaded.  

Historical records of the last time the world turned dark.  What caused it.  

Blood sacrifice.  They were used as offerings to the gods.

Fashion.  Custom.  Tradition.  Uniform.  Qaithe continues to wear hers away from Asshai.  It must be fashion because there is no need to wear it away from the poisoned atmosphere of Asshai.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2018 at 1:47 AM, Megorova said:

Because even though I'm only 90% sure, that Rhaego is alive

Well, I am sure of this less than 90%, but there are some story details which contribute to "Rhaego is alive" theory. In tGot Robert went to hunt on white stag, around the same time, Drogo was trying to kill Hrakkar, white lion. Baratheon's hunt went badly. White hart was devoured by wolves, the king himself was wounded by the boar.

Soon after that  Robert's heirs were exposed as bastards by the wolf - Eddard Stark.

Drogo's hunt was successful. He killed Hrakkar and presented Daenerys with its white pelt. I think white animals symbolize heirs, and Drogo's success means he has a heir.

White pelt was mentioned several times in Dany's storyline. I think Hrakkar can be also related to this vision:

A white lion ran through grass taller than a man.

White lion is Rhaego, who was named Hrakkar by dothraki (because of his silver hair).

On 5/13/2018 at 8:14 PM, LiveFirstDieLater said:

It is far more plausible that Lyanna first became pregnant at Harrenhall

I agree. Her child was born secretly at Winterfell or in the house of loyal vassals of Starks (Reeds?). Harenhall tourney was held in 281, Lyanna abducted in 282, after giving birth to her firstborn (most likely Jon). After "abduction" she became pregnant for second time (with Dany? Aegon VI? Both of them? Someone we don't know?).

Secret child in Winterfell parallels story of Bael the Bard and Stark's daughter.

On 5/10/2018 at 6:03 PM, Bowen Marsh said:

What arcane knowledge might be hidden in Asshai?  

I now believe the secret knowledge to be found in Asshai affects everyone.  It's bigger and more profound than saving Westeros and perhaps as important as rescuing people from slavery.  It can only be something that affects everyone, and that is death.  That there is no after life.  Everybody dies and it's bye-bye forever.   To enlighten the world with this knowledge and maybe value the limited life span that people have.  Our lovely, silver-haired heroine will continue to free the slaves in order to give them, the majority, a life worth living.  Ofcourse you cannot bring that about without killing many of the resistant slave masters.  But these slavers too have a choice, to be moral and free their slaves or lose their lives, and the harpy is not going to be able to bring their souls back.

• 3 months later...

Archived