Explaining Jaime and Aunt Genna's quote about Jaime

chrisdaw

@chrisdaw

Well done.

I just wanted to point out Genna's highest praise for Tywin was that of protective big brother. Of course there's no way she could know, but Jaime had recently lived up to that aspect too, freeing Tyrion from prison, despite all the nasty things little brother said to him.

1 hour ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

His character is certainly changing, but I don't think he will ever be as cold as Tywin.  Going off with Brienne proves that in my eyes.  Tywin doesn't really care for that aspect of "honor" as Jaime clearly does, and I don't think loosing that is part of Jaime's arc, but rather that it will become a more prominent part of him.  I think Jaime will spend more time thinking about what is the right thing to do, something I highly doubt Tywin ever gave any thought.

When you analyse Genna's words about Jaime and Tywin, you should only take into account the context of Genna's words. Honour or the right thing to do was not what she had in mind when comparing Jaime with his father.

5 hours ago, Dofs said:

I actually disagree that it wasn't a bluff. When Jaime said the threat, he didn't even think about having to act on it, which is why the threat make no sense. The threat is literally Jaime saying the worst things that pop into his mind without any considerations whether he even sounds logical. And he did it because he knew Edmure's state of mind and that after seeing his little demonstration with the Freys he would believe him. The threat was designed to scare, not to be acted upon. It was absolutely a bluff.

When Jaime compares himself with Tywin after saying it, he doesn't mean about possibility to do it, he just feels dirty about threatening Edmure's family which he considers to be a completely unfair low blow which is against Jaime's principles. 

Whether Jaime would do Rains of Castamere on someone is irrelevant to Genna's comment though. She was not talking about Tywin's cruelty when she said that Jaime is not Tywin's son.

It doesn't even matter what his thoughts are at the time. He'd have done it because that's the character he is, he doesn't deal in half measures and the alternative to carrying out on his threats is to become a toothless leader which leads to greater problems further down the path, as Dany was used to demonstrate.

It will happen in the future that one of the houses he has taken hostages from will rebel, and we'll see how he handles it.

5 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

His character is certainly changing, but I don't think he will ever be as cold as Tywin.  Going off with Brienne proves that in my eyes.  Tywin doesn't really care for that aspect of "honor" as Jaime clearly does, and I don't think loosing that is part of Jaime's arc, but rather that it will become a more prominent part of him.  I think Jaime will spend more time thinking about what is the right thing to do, something I highly doubt Tywin ever gave any thought.

You are right, but there's a lot of ways Jaime and Twin are and will still be different, it isn't the point that they are or are becoming carbon copies, the point is that Jaime is becoming Tywin in the ways presented.

GRRM is returning Jaime's honour/morality for the purpose of pitting it against the greater good. His honour becomes his sacrifice for the Lannister's rule and now the realm. It makes him a more compelling character than Tywin, who just didn't care or feel the dishonour.

Archived