Who will be Lord Commander after Jeor and Jon were killed by mutiny?

21 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

You might think they behave like this because they sense Bowen & co's plans... but actually, Bowen and Yarwick visit Jon over Hardhome, and by then both animals are calmer. Ghost does have an upright tail and bristles when he sniffs Bowen in passing by when they go out, but he doesn't try to take a chunk out of him. Basically, Ghost was more aggressive 1-2 hours earlier to Jon himself than he is to Bowen Marsh who is considering to kill Jon if they learn Stannis lost. Strange!!!! But not if you consider that Ghost and the raven were making a ruckus over another issue altogether: the smell of wights and the Others (if they have a smell) at the rim of the Haunted Forest. Because when Bowen, Yarwick and Jon leave the armory the wind is coming from the south. The animals are somewhat calmer, because the wights and Others at the rim of the Haunted Forest are downwind. The raven gets so calm later that Tormund jokes around about the bird's comments.

Now I know how Dr Watson must have felt at the end of every story :) 

This makes perfect sense down to why George would drop in that the wind was blowing from the south and why there is sooooo much, almost anarchical, confusion at that stage. It was build up to the re-appearance of the Others, reinforcing how humans bicker while the true threat gathers strength. The last time a mutiny was planned (at the Fist), we had pretty much the same thing!

Assuming the wights are dealt with, whoever's left now would realize that Jon was trying to do the right thing after all (well, those that didn't already), "Where's he btw? He was what?"

This would also fit with why men were 'screaming' rather than 'shouting' or 'roaring in rage' or 'crying out with battle lust' or 'bellowing war cries' or 'baying for blood'.

54 minutes ago, Ser Hedge said:

Now I know how Dr Watson must have felt at the end of every story :) This was 

This makes perfect sense down to why George would drop in that the wind was blowing from the south and why there is sooooo much, almost anarchical, confusion at that stage. It was build up to the re-appearance of the Others, reinforcing how humans bicker while the true threat gathers strength. The last time a mutiny was planned (at the Fist), we had pretty much the same thing!

Assuming the wights are dealt with, whoever's left now would realize that Jon was trying to do the right thing after all (well, those that didn't already), "Where's he btw? He was what?"

This would also fit with why men were 'screaming' rather than 'shouting' or 'roaring in rage' or 'crying out with battle lust' or 'bellowing war cries' or 'baying for blood'.

It does, doesn't it. "They're HERE!" (now), but George is hiding it behind the other mayhem. Then it also starts to make sense why George has the elders of the Mountain Clans there. Finally some non-NW Northerners who can spread what they saw.

And meanwhile readers and Jon and Bowen are speculating and worrying about those two dead bodies in the ice cells. They don't need to worry about those, because they're chained and snowed in. It's the uprooted conserved dead in the lichyard and anyone who dies in the mayhem they need to worry about. And yes, that's why they "scream" rather than shout/bellow/roar/etc. Hell, the Others can freeze people to death, per the aGoT Prologue.

And it perfectly fits with the aDwD Prologue - Varamy escaped being wighted because he died just prior to the arrival and got into his wolf.

I am working on an essay about the Others' mirror armor, and so explored parallels in the books of scenes or POV where mirrors are used to reveal something about the environment (rather than just looking into a mirror to check your own appearance), and that includes Serwyn of the Mirror Shield, and only Jon Snow fitting Serwyn as a parallel to a T. The Wall is a mirror shield (the biggest there is), but it's only in Jon's POV we ever have the Wall being described as "reflecting" (not Tyrion's, not Sam's, not Mel's), and it starts after Jeor Mormont was killed, when Jon has to climb it with the wildlings. From then on, the Wall was already doing what he wants, as if its his. The last time Jon sees the ice of the Wall reflect is in the 10th chapter of his in aDwD, with Cregan Karstark stinking of feces and Axell Florent stinking in Jon's opinion. The reflection he sees then is his own. By that point Jon and the Wall have become one. (And also makes him a dragon looking at his own reflection in a mirror shield, unable to see the spear/sword/lance coming up from behind it). When Wick draws blood, he hurt the Wall itself. That's when I started to hunt for the "smelly/stinky" business, and I noticed the paragraph of Borroq and his boar in the lichyard. And so I reread the parts about Borroq in both last two chapters and the weird inconsistent behavior of Ghost and the raven. And voila - the wind changed to a southern one.

I think we all considered it, with that mention of Jon only feeling the cold, but that alone seemed just too little warning or foreshadowing of it. But it is with the boar rooting through the lichyard, Ghost's and raven's behavior, the wind coming from the south all of a sudden and the animals calming, and Borroq's warning the chapter before.

Archived