Cricket 36: Ashes to Ashes, Warner to Dust...

Jeor

16 hours ago, Paxter said:

There is a little bit of speculation around that Woakes or Denly might get dropped in favour of Curran. I'm a big fan of Curran's work, but I don't think he should be displacing Woakes, who has been a solid contributor with both bat and ball. Only Burns and Stokes have more runs than him for England. 

Denly...I am desperate to get him out of the side but I don't think Curran is the right replacement. Curran averages over 30 in his career so far, which is a lot better than Denly, but the runs have not come up the order.

Separately, I am very amused by the calls from some Australian voices to get Starc into the side. Australia doesn't like being "out-gunned" by England on the fast-bowling front. I am confident that Starc will not play under Langer in these conditions, at least while Australia holds a lead in the series. 

I don't think England should be considering any changes. Archer into the team is already a good change and I don't see how they can sort out their top order problems by introducing all-rounders.

I agree that Langer should keep a firm hand on the selection. He has made noise about not wanting to hit helmets but actually get wickets. It will be quite a different approach as Australia have always been the fast bowling bully boys, but I think it's the right call. Don't get caught up in an arms race where we just want to "get them back", stick to the plan and concentrate on the overall outcome.

EDIT: Latest news coming out of the Aussie camp is that Pattinson will come in for Siddle, and that Marcus Harris will come in for Bancroft. So probably still no Starc, and now they're starting to swing the axe on the top order. Harris's fledgling Test career reads as someone who got a lot of starts without going on, but I suppose that can't be any worse than what Bancroft is contributing. They'll miss his fielding at short leg, though.

Burns snubbed again! Four centuries in 16 tests and yet Australia picks the century-less Harris.

I’m not sure what the point was in picking Bancroft for two tests. A selection misstep there.

The Siddle omission makes sense in light of the rotation policy. They always wanted Pattinson right for this test.

I agree about Joe Burns. He's got more experience and if they were going to get rid of Bancroft I would have thought he'd at least be in the conversation. I know Harris has been scoring a bit on the tour but in a situation like this you need more experience - even if Burns doesn't have lots of Tests to his name (16) he is a bit older and has played a lot of first class cricket.

Anyway, Harris isn't any improvement over Bancroft it seems, at least from the first innings.

The real question mark is whether Warner can overturn his form slump and typical away-game disappearing act.

Funnily enough although it's obviously worked to have Archer with the new ball, I wonder if it would be better for England to have bowled Woakes. Archer doesn't need a new ball to be effective whereas Woakes' first spell would probably be much more dangerous with the new ball.

Courageous but correct decision from Root to bowl given the conditions. He'll just have to hope it doesn't bite him batting last.

Broad and Archer are bowling hand grenades here. I wouldn't be surprised to see Australia 5 or 6 down by tea.

2 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Lunch is done lol. Tea you mean?

Khawaja's average keeping him in the team. And that there isn't anyone better. Similar to England really. Expect him to be dropped when Smith comes in. Or drop Harris and move him up to open if they really want to keep him.

Sorry tea! I haven't had a coffee yet this morning!

I think Usman has earned the right to a lean Ashes without losing his place in the side. It's just a shame that he hasn't been able to find a way to score runs in England. 

ETA: I'm not a huge fan of Root's captaincy. What's the point of having Woakes if you don't give him a chance with the new pill? 

4 minutes ago, Paxter said:

ETA: I'm not a huge fan of Root's captaincy. What's the point of having Woakes if you don't give him a chance with the new pill? 

Exactly my point earlier - Woakes would be more potent with the new ball, whereas Archer can be dangerous at any stage of the innings.

Archer's speeds are down, too - don't know whether he's holding it back trying to swing it, or whether Root has indeed overbowled him and he's a bit sore from the last match. Even though it was rain-interrupted, he did send down 29 overs in the first innings and then 15 in the second.

2 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Wtf. They said no more rain for the day.....

I see pom weather people are just as shit as Aussie ones.....

If rain delays like this keep happening I wonder if Root will just keep bowling Archer all day...

Some people have been comparing Archer to McGrath, but I don't think England should be using him as a "stock bowler" like Aus often did with Pidgeon. When you choose to bowl first you need to take wickets - so they should be using Archer in short, sharp bursts. 

7 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Some people have been comparing Archer to McGrath, but I don't think England should be using him as a "stock bowler" like Aus often did with Pidgeon. When you choose to bowl first you need to take wickets - so they should be using Archer in short, sharp bursts. 

That's the stupidest comparison I've heard so far lol. Pace, accuracy, patience etc these two are on the opposite side of the spectrum!

Maybe length of run up and height.....

Edit: Could explain Archers slower speed. Maybe he is expecting to dish out lot more overs.

England don't need another bowler in the mid 80s. Woakes and Broad fulfil that purpose, Stokes as well. Bringing Archer's speed down just neuters the thing that makes him special and have that X-factor. If they wanted someone to be a stock bowler who concentrates on swinging the new ball at the start of the innings, they should have opened the bowling with Woakes.

I can't believe they would have told Archer to bowl within himself, which would be the height of stupidity. It's like asking Yo-Yo Ma to give a performance of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Sure, he'd do a great job of it and probably play it really well, but millions of people could do that. 

I reckon it has to be Archer's workload that has brought his speed down a bit.

West Indies showing that their form against England was no fluke...India reduced to 25-3 with Puj and Virat both out early. Go Windies!

I'm really happy for Kemar Roach. No one really even mentions him when it comes to high-quality modern fast bowlers, but he has quietly picked up nearly 200 test wickets with an average of 27 and a SR of 51. 

Looks like play is going to re-start again. Australia will want as many rain delays as possible given the next four days are meant to be quite sunny and good for batting.

Roach has always been a quality bowler with genuine pace - just a pity that there haven't really been any other real strike bowlers to back him up. The Windies used to have a big factory line of them but it seems to have dwindled a bit.

Archived