Advice for tooth pain

Jen'ari

I will share my dentist stories, maybe it will make you feel better.

Usually with bigger prcedures I am really having fun with the anathetics, as they tend to wear off wee bit quicker on me. So when I had my wisdom teeth removed, he had to give me no less than two extra shots. That was fun, but that turned out to be a blessing in disguise. He prescribed me some pain killer medicine (some drops with the proper disgustingly bitter taste to discourage you from misuse). So after 1-2 days I found the pain been reduced to mere unpleasentness and tolerable to be the better alternative compared to the poor taste of the pain killers.

I had to undergo two root canals. During the first one, you guessed it, anesthetics wore off. The dentist thought she was pretty much done anyway. I think among the phrases you don't want to hear from yur dentist Strange, that shouldn't really hurt anymore. Is probably among the top tens. And yes, she literally said that. So she gave me another shot, and I had to get up and she took an x-ray. There she saw which one she missed. That (hopefully) spared me your current predicament. Blessing in disguise with regards to anesthetics.

Anyway, you have something I didn't have back then.

18 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Will your dentist give you nitrous? Some don't, some will still do it though usually you have to pay extra and insurance won't cover it.  I found it helps tremendously w/the stress and the pain of dental procedures. 

I’ve not asked, I think it’s not really a thing in the U.K. as much, well I’ve not encountered it but I might ask them. I imagine it will just be a numbing injection and having it pulled out, going to stock up on ice cream and yogurt beforehand I think.

So my appointment got moved to today to have my tooth out, not greatly fun to be honest, although regular painkillers are doing an ok job of keeping the pain away and I'm eating ice cream with the other side of my mouth.

Archived