Virus threatens City Lights Books!

SFDanny

Like many bookstores City Lights Books is being threatened by the shutdown of business necessary during this time. But City Lights is not just any bookstore. Famous for publishing Beat poetry and being put on trial for obscenity charges for publishing Allen Ginsburg's classic "Howl and Other Poems." The leadership of the bookstore knows where it's priorities are in this dangerous time and that means its resources are dedicated to getting the staff through the shut down. Salaries and medical payments continue to all staff as long as that is possible, but the historic San Francisco bookstore needs help to be able to survive. As a result I'm posting a link to a gofundme site designed to raise some $300,000 to ensure City Lights can stay open. I hope this appeal for help is ok with @Ran and @Linda. I'm not sure of the rules regarding these things, but I assure everyone I have no financial interest in this, but I do admit to a strong literary one. We can't let the virus destroy our living literary history.

Thank you all for reading this and I hope some can help.

SFDanny

A happy update. As of last Friday the Gofundme effort has exceeded it goal of $300,000. There has been $365,000 raised by that date. I'm sure they will accept any more donations if anyone wants to give to a worthy cause. Thank you to any of you who did so. I'll keep people posted if there is further cause to be concerned about our beloved San Francisco institution.

Archived