Books or series you read but never finished and now you only remember vague details

jurble

I remember a fiction book that's not sf or fantasy. The main character was a Frenchwoman named Emmanuelle. She fell in love with a rich Englishman named Julian and he was gonna divorce his wife to marry her but he died in the war (WWI?). She gave birth to the child and Julian's wife did some sort of fraud to pass him off as her own son so he could inherit Julian's position as the heir to a title and fortune. The main character moves to the US and Americanizes her name to Emma.

Googling only shows up "Emmanuelle is an erotic novel by Emmanuelle Arsan" which is definitely not the right book.

On 5/27/2020 at 9:31 AM, Jo498 said:

And a children's book that must have been rather popular in 70s? Germany that was about holidays in some island? resort with children organising themselves and there were some factions including "pirates" with a girl called Birgit the tigress as a leader (probably inspired by "Swallows and Amazons" but I think it was German or Scandinavian) but I don't remember the plot anymore.

Sounds vaguely familiar. Was it that the kids woke up one morning and the adults had left/disappeared, and they were left to their own devices, to recreate society as kids? Or am I thinking of a totally different book we read way back in the very first years of school?

No, what you describe seems more serious than the one I had in mind. As far as I remember it was only a holiday resort that was restricted to children or something like that. It was probably "Kai erobert [conquers] Brixholm" although I don't remember that title and it is already from 1960 (I would have thought early 70s), the protagonist was called Kai and it seems too much of a coincidence to have two such books within two decades with a not terribly common name (although it was common for a short time in the 70s, I had once three in my class) for the protagonist. It could even be that there was a later edition with a different title.

https://www.amazon.com/Kai-conquers-Brixholm-Rolf-Stitz-Ulrici/dp/B0007FAY6S#customerReviews

EDIT: I am pretty sure now that this is the one I had in mind and I suspect that it is either a new edition with a new title or a slight remake of the older book and this came out in 1975 and thus fits the timeframe even better

https://www.booklooker.de/Bücher/Rolf-Ulrici+Kai-entdeckt-die-Freundschaftsinsel/id/A0197RGS01ZZZ

Archived