Middle earth in Westeros: GRRM meets JRRT and Jules Verne

Hope you all remember the cave of Bloodraven and the CoTFs beyond the Wall, where Bran learns that there are shafts that lead to more places underground and even to the center of the earth. He also sees an underground river that may lead to sub-terranean seas. Could there be more worlds below, maybe from where the giants came when Joramun blew the Horn of Winter?

May be the Others retreated there after the Battle for the Dawn which ended the Long Night. Maybe those creatures such as the unicorn, direwolves, shadowcats, mammoths, giants, firewyrms and dragons still live below in large numbers. I find that the last two creatures I mentioned have a high possibility of being there as the early Valyrians found them first in the volcanic shafts of the 14 Flames. Does this mean that all the places ever mentioned in ASOIAF are connected underground?

Please note the possible myth links and tributes to great sci-fi and fantasy authors( I could only think of 2)^_^

P. S. I'd love more crackpot theorists to indulge with in discussions. So do offer any opinions. 

• 2 weeks later...

Unicorn :: I have seen them in Chester Zoo. Also known and better known as the Indian one-horned rhinoceros. See Pliny's description of unicorns. The spiral horns came in later as a trick by merchants to get a better price for narwhal tusks.

Dragon :: Stories about them started as a big dangerous snake. Greek "drako_n" means "that which looks/sees", from verb "derkomai", perhaps because snakes' eyes seem to be open all the time. (Actually, snakes' eyes are shut all the time and they see through a big transparent scale in an eyelid.)

Mammoths :: only bad luck stopped them from surviving to the present day in the real world. All that needed is to use rescued frozen mammoth DNA to replace various critical genes in the Indian Elephant.

30 minutes ago, Anthony Appleyard said:

Unicorn :: I have seen them in Chester Zoo. Also and better known as the Indian one-horned rhinoceros. See Pliny's description of unicorns. The spiral horns came in later as a trick by merchants to get a better price for narwhal tusks.

Dragon :: Stories about them started as a big dangerous snake. Greek "drako_n" means "that which looks/sees", from verb "derkomai", perhaps because snakes' eyes seem to be open all the time. (Actually, snakes' eyes are shut all the time and they see through a big transparent scale in an eyelid.)

Mammoths :: only bad luck stopped them from surviving to the present day in the real world. All that needed is to use rescued frozen mammoth DNA to replace various critical genes in the Indian Elephant

See the last posts of my thread

THE EXOTIC AND VARIED FAUNA AND MAGICAL CREATURES OF PLANETOS AND THEIR RESEMBLANCES TO REAL LIFE

I happen to be a person very interested in wildlife and nature and stuff, so I couldn't help but post this.

I won't bore you with a TL:DR list of all animals or plants ever mentioned in ASoIaF, That you can view in https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Bestiary

but only those which have a resemblance to real life and those which are mythical/mysterious in their world itself.https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Bestiary#Special_Animals

MYTHICAL/MYSTERIOUS CREATURES

Basilisk

Bloodfly

Centaur

Cockatrice

Firewyrm

Giant ice spider

Griffin

Harpy

Hellhound

Kraken giant squid

Leviathan blue whale?all other whales mentioned

Little Valyrian

Lizard-lion nor crocodile as they are mentioned seperately

Manticore

Old Men of the River

Phantom tortoise

Sea dragon

Sphinx

Unicorn

Walking lizard

Wyvern

I have excluded dragons, direwolves shadowcats etc because....they are what we have seen in detail and not so mysterious....read on. More than these are there in the actual page of AWOIAF (link given above) but these are what I feel are truly mysterious.

So someone please clear them up for me and offer any theories/link of threads that are crackpot or not.

RESEMBLANCE TO REAL LIFE.

Snow bear Polar bear obviously

Spotted bear ??????????????

Shadowcat mixture of tiger, mountain lion/puma and sabretooth tiger.

Little Valyrians some white lemur species

Pouch tiger Tasmanian devil/Wolverine (not Hugh Jackman) but wolverines are mentioned seperately

Leviathan Blue whale? other whales given

Singing squid no link given for this ????

Walking/Tattooed lizard Velociraptor?

NOTE THAT MOST MYSTERIOUS SPECIES ARE FROM BASILISK ISLES/SOTHORYOS

I find that Septon Barth's book, Dragons, Wyrms, and Wyverns: Their Unnatural History, is a lot more interesting and could've a potential influence in the TWOW/ADOS

Firewyrms are creatures that breathe fire but have no wings, and are possibly related to dragons. They can bore through rock, soil, and stone.[1][2] According to old tales, firewyrms were in the Fourteen Flames of the Valyrian peninsula even before the dragons came. Their young are not much bigger than a child's arm, but as they age they can grow to immense sizes. They have no love for men.[1]

Firewyrms were encountered by slaves of the Valyrian Freehold in the mines of the Fourteen Flames. Burnt and blackened corpses were often found in shafts where the rocks were cracked or full of holes.[1]

Wyverns are species of animal that lives in Sothoryos, kin to dragons, although they do not breathe fire.[1][2] Wyverns have great leathery wings, "cruel" beaks, and an insatiable hunger. They are more ferocious than dragons, if smaller in size. Wyverns are called "the tyrants of the southern skies", and are one of the reasons why Sothoryos is thinly populated.[2] Septon Barth wrote about wyverns in Dragons, Wyrms, and Wyverns: Their Unnatural History,[3] and speculated that Valyrian bloodmages may have created dragons using wyvern stock.[2]

Varieties of wyverns include brindled wyverns, swamp wyverns, brownbellies, and shadow-wings. Brindled wyverns have green-and-white scales, and grow up to thirty feet long. Swamp wyverns may grow larger than that, but they are mostly inactive and rarely fly far from their lairs. Brownbellies, though not much bigger than monkeys, hunt in packs of a hundred or more, and so are far more dangerous than larger breeds. The shadow-wing wyvern is nocturnal, with black scales and wings that make it invisible in the dark, and therefore is the most feared.[2]

I don't need to tell all the times these creatures (not only firewyrms etc but ALL) have appeared in the books I hope?

https://medium.com/applaudience/wildlife-westeros-the-animal-kingdom-in-game-of-thrones-b5cc4e194195

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Animals_and_Plants

https://news.yahoo.com/8-mythical-apos-game-thrones-142200857.html

These are similar links.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 7:20 PM, Anthony Appleyard said:

Mammoths :: only bad luck stopped them from surviving to the present day in the real world. All that needed is to use rescued frozen mammoth DNA to replace various critical genes in the Indian Elephant

IIRC it was African elephant. Indian Elephants are beautiful, but the Africans have more similarity to the Mammoths. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived