Is it safe to assume that Littlefinger is Robert Arryn’s father?

James Steller

On 8/7/2020 at 5:35 PM, Colonel Green said:

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Obviously Lysa will publicly claim that Robert is Jon Arryn's child, just as she lies that the Lannisters were responsible for Jon Arryn's death.  But in the climax of ASOS she is not trying to hide any secrets, she is desperately begging Littlefinger to love her and making highly incriminating references without regard for anyone else overhearing; there is no reason, in this context, why she would pretend that Robert is not Littlefinger's son.

I don't think she knows one way or the other for sure, but if he's LF's, her position and that of Robert's is a lie and everything she claims is a lie. She's not the true ruler of the Eyrie in place of Jon's true heir who's a minor, but a disgraced whore, mother of a bastard passing off a child who is not who he really is. She's a fraud, a thief. The highborns' need to cling to power and their entitlement to it is what drives the Game of Thrones. And Lysa thoroughly enjoys her position as Lady Arryn.

Much more pleasant to push the question of paternity aside and just believe the nicer thing, yeah? Notice she needs to rationalize Jon Arryn's murder as being about saving Robert. The reader knows better. The truths we cannot face, especially about ourselves, can lead to traumatic and psychotic breaks and this is common in varying degrees with so many of the characters in this series. Lysa's break is especially dramatic. Hence the simultaneous reveal of the truth of Jon Arryn and also the depths of her delusions.

If you still don't understand my point, the need to delude oneself of one's legitimacy, power, and wrong actions is so common that such people are all over the rl news lately.

Archived