Mysecondaccount

One interesting fact that most time traviling stories ignore

On 10/12/2021 at 2:35 AM, 1066 Larry said:

Guy who travels back in time 20 minutes to eat the steak he just ate fully cooked, but this time eats it raw.

Going back in time to drink raw milk.

If you really want to do things properly, the rawest milk is grass.

Two authors who handled time travel to my liking included Walter Jon Williams in his noir Days of Atonement and Vernor Vinge's Across Realtime.  I am a bit biased, as both stories include scenes in specific, real-life labs or R&D centers that I am personally familiar with, but in both, the issue of time travel has a currently-valid scientific rationale for how it works.

Vinge uses a stasis field to travel forward in time without aging, while Williams goes with field entanglement.  Reading either story gives a plausible reason why food, location in space, medicine, etc. aren't an issue for the time traveler.

On 10/13/2021 at 7:40 PM, Prue said:

Actually, being lactose INtolerant is normal for most people world-wide. Being lactose *tolerant* is a fairly new mutant that only evolved in Europe around 5,000 years ago and managed to spread because it was an advantage to get nutrients from drinking cow milk as an adult, in the harsh winters. I saw a documentary once where they said that DNA analysis of over-5,000-year-old remains in Europe showed that none of the old Europeans were lactose-tolerant yet either, whereas the percentage suddenly increased afterwards. 

eta: Apparently it was about 7,500, not 5,000 years ago. Sorry.

https://www.uni-mainz.de/presse/15305_ENG_HTML.php

https://www.uni-mainz.de/presse/aktuell/12031_ENG_HTML.php

Not really contradicting anythign I said.

Milk was an advantage in the harsh winters, thus we have more lactose tolerant (or less lactose intolerant) folks of Northern European ethnicity. Evolution terms: adaptation to the enviroment.

"Well, Rutherford, how was your week's trip back in time?"

"Not as I expected, Smithers.  The first day was fine, but I spent the rest of the journey feverish, puking and crapping myself."

"So Spring Break all over again, eh?"