Lodos lives in aeron

Falcon2909

Lodos was a priest of the Drowned God who claimed to be his god's living son.

During the invasion of the Iron Islands by King Aegon I Targaryen to put down several rebellious would-be kings, Lodos turned to his god and called on the krakens of the deep to drag down Aegon's warships. When the beasts failed to appear, Lodos filled his robes with stones and walked into the sea to "take counsel" with his claimed father, the Drowned God. Thousands followed Lodos. Their corpses would wash up on the shores for years to come, except for Lodos's own body.[2]

aeron, before being lost at sea, had been a ribald drunk, who would sing, dance, play pipes, juggle and ride horses. He drank much, and claimed no man could piss longer or farther than him. He once wagered his ship against a flock of goats that he could douse a hearth-fire by urinating on it, and subsequently outraged his brother, Lord Balon, by naming the ship Golden Storm

after washing up ashore alive, he becomes this serious, priest dedicated towards his drowned god. Sounds like he went through some spiritual awakening while in the water.

What actually happened was Lodos's priestly, no-nonsense spirit was wandering in the water all these years and merged with aeron's to make aeron damphair.

That's entirely possible, but it's also possible for a person to undergo a major psychological transformation because of a traumatic experience. I'm not a fan of writing off human motivations and human psychology and passing it all off as "some weird god did it". Characters should be allowed to make their own decisions and change their worldview because they want to do it, not because some god or prophecy makes them do it. 

5 hours ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

That's entirely possible, but it's also possible for a person to undergo a major psychological transformation because of a traumatic experience. I'm not a fan of writing off human motivations and human psychology and passing it all off as "some weird god did it". Characters should be allowed to make their own decisions and change their worldview because they want to do it, not because some god or prophecy makes them do it. 

Brave words, for a reader of high fantasy...

8 hours ago, Springwatch said:

Brave words, for a reader of high fantasy...

ASOIAF is among the only high fantasy I read. Most of the time I read history, and I'm a former psychology student. Both of those things lead me to prefer realistic character motivations and personalities, not ones driven solely by supernatural beings.

Archived