[AFfC Spoilers] Best Death

Steve the Pirate

Maester Luwin's death, memorable and a bit western-like, I could almost hear the spaghetti soundtrack. I think it was perhaps the saddest.

Most shocking: I think I will have to go with the Red Wedding.

Most entertaining: Gregor vs the Viper.

Least interesting: Ser Arys Oakheart.

Satisfying: Pod killing Mandon Moore was a good one, and also Ned.

I would also list Khal Drogo's "crowning" of Viserys - I enjoyed seeing his arrogant ass shut up so matter-of-fact like.

That was one of my favorites as well. I also had great satisfaction of Joffry's death.

The death that I look most forward to would have to be Cersi'a :fence: via Ayra :ninja:

Lysa's death, of course, was one of the most satisfying.

Katran, I'm a huge Arya fan and when she and Sandor took down Poliver and The Tickler I had to reread the inn scene, too!!

Robb and Cat's assignation took me completely by surprise… another reread. The horrible musicians finally made sense!

And I understood Tyrions pain and odd fullfillment when he strangled Shae with the necklace. She died sporting some of the “bling†she was always pining about.

Unlike most people I didn't find the deaths of Joff and Tywin satisfying. They met relatively painless ends, they got fancy burials, they died at the height of their power and continue to trouble the people they hurt even when they're gone (Tyrion and Sansa being wanted for murder, Tyrion becoming a kinslayer). I wanted to see them humbled; no such luck.

I actually found Lysa's death sad. She was insane and so damaged, used and then coldly killed by Littlefinger. I hope Sansa gives him the same treatment.

Oberyn's death was brutal. He was a vibrant character and then...gone, proving that in ASOIAF there's no such thing as justice you don't have to suffer for.

Arya killing the Tickler is the one truly satisfying death I can think of. The prophecy means she won't be killing Cersei, but that would be good.

It's funny, the death of folks like Rodrik and Jory and Dacey (oh especially Dacey, oh Dacey how I loved you!) bother me to an unusual extent. It's like, ok you killed Ned and Cat and Robb but you have this whole "Bwahahah watch me kill your favorite protagonists!" thing going on, I'm down with that, but killing Dacey ... now THAT'S uncalled for.

Agree. I loved what little we saw of Dacey. Losing promising people like her and Jory really gives the feeling of the North's hope being gone.

Arya killing the Tickler is the one truly satisfying death I can think of.

You don't find her stabbing him repeatedly screaming "where is the gold? where is lord Beric?" a little chilling? Arya, whom I love and pity and want to hug, also scares me A LOT.

I think Cersei's already gotten plenty of humiliation, by the way (and I"m sure she's due for more) - first her schemes have totally backfired and we saw how much she hated having to wear nothing but a blanket and here's hoping her brother doesn't come to her rescue. I think you will get your wish that Cersei has an agonizing and humiliating end.

Agree. I loved what little we saw of Dacey. Losing promising people like her and Jory really gives the feeling of the North's hope being gone.

If it's any comfort, apparently Lady Mormont has several more daughters who weren't at the Red Wedding. (Although I mourned Dacey too :()

Actually, I often ponder if Brienne is ever going to wind up in or near Bear Island. "Oh, life is so harsh for a lone woman warrior in the world..." Maege Mormont: "Nah, love, there's tons of us here. Fancy going killing something?"

Best death: Oberyn. His cockiness. Gregor's classic words. Tyrion throwing up. It had that whole sense of, "Oh F!!k! Now what?" Brilliant.

Baelor Breakspear's death in The Hedge Knight was also quite effecting. This real sense that history had been changed irrevocably from a (relatively) very minor chain of events. Assuming he'd survive the Great Spring Fever, Baelor's survival would have meant that in all probability Aerys II would never have been king (hell, Egg would probably never been king). Quite an interesting storytelling decision Martin made there.

It's funny, the death of folks like Rodrik and Jory and Dacey (oh especially Dacey, oh Dacey how I loved you!) bother me to an unusual extent. It's like, ok you killed Ned and Cat and Robb but you have this whole "Bwahahah watch me kill your favorite protagonists!" thing going on, I'm down with that, but killing Dacey ... now THAT'S uncalled for.

I can see where you're coming from with Jory and Dacey, but Rodrik had a decent amount of "on-screen" time even though he wasn't a POV or truly major character. He was one of those few genuinelly good guys in the series who had to endure some tragic consequences just because he was loyal to the Starks at a point in time in which them and all of their loyalists were dropping like flies. Jory and Dacey fit that mold as well, but we don't really get to see as much of them as we do of Rodrik, especially since Jory dies so early in the story.

You don't find her stabbing him repeatedly screaming "where is the gold? where is lord Beric?" a little chilling? Arya, whom I love and pity and want to hug, also scares me A LOT.

As much as I long for happy Gendry/Arya, I've kind of given up on her since her chances aren't looking too good, realistically. She's already so damaged because of what she's seen and gone through, even her link to Nymeria/Needle doesn't give me much hope. If she's going to be an assassin and an eventual Stark casualty, at least I can try to enjoy it when she kills people in need of killing.

I think Cersei's already gotten plenty of humiliation, by the way (and I"m sure she's due for more) - first her schemes have totally backfired and we saw how much she hated having to wear nothing but a blanket and here's hoping her brother doesn't come to her rescue. I think you will get your wish that Cersei has an agonizing and humiliating end.

I'm hoping she gets away thanks to UnGregor, feels terribly smug about beating the prophecy and then sees the Mother of Dragons flying over Casterly Rock. While it can be satisfying to think she brought about her own doom with her paranoia, I'd rather not have the Tyrells be the ones who get to crush her for good - that feels like more political maneuvering, not payback or justice.

If it's any comfort, apparently Lady Mormont has several more daughters who weren't at the Red Wedding. (Although I mourned Dacey too :()

Dacey has her own miniature fandom. :)

I can't really add much to the many great deaths already mentioned, especially Lysa's, Ned's, the Red wedding and the many minor character's deaths.

One death scene that I particularly liked, even though it occurs off screen, and that is the deaths of Ser Arthur Dayne and co. The real life event probably lacked a lot of the emotion of the dream version, but Ned's interpretation of it really conveys the bittersweet nature of potentially one of the coolest, but most senseless fights in the books.

Dacey Mormont = awesomeness. It is known.

Other sisters! It's not the same! Only Dacey, only Daceyyyyy!!!

Ahem. Yes thats true we saw Rodrick more, but since he wasn't a game player or a member of a great house &etc I just wish he could've stayed out of things enough to be spared. Alas and woe! And Luwin's death, ooooh thats a good one (er, bad one) too. Luwin was like everybody's favorite uncle or grandpa or something, all those toys and such stuffed in his sleeves ... :(

ohh man i need to agree with the anger/sadness of Rodrik Cassal's death. It was the reason I hated Hated HATED that effin bastard of Bolton more then any character at the end of the 2nd book (he has since been eclipised by the entire House Frey but im sure meeting him again in the next book should put him back in first place).

Poor whiskers though. :(

I'm a sucker for pet deaths. Hearing how Grey Wind died was a real heartbreaker. And what happened to the poor wolf after.

At least my other favorite animal (other than the stark wolves) is still alive and kicking. Stranger/Driftwood, who has got to be the only named horse in the whole series, is one badass horse and i'd really hate to have read about his death in the future.

Isn't there a horse named Honor in AFFC?

Jaime's horses are Honor and Glory ;) - per one of his squires.

Grey Wind too, just how ... cruel. Can you be.

Oh, now you had to bring in the direwolves. I still cry when Ned has to kill Lady because she's still a pup and then her brothers howl for her. AUGH!!!

Why is everyone so attached to Dacey Mormont? She must have had a couple of lines in the whole series and doesn't seem to have done much of worth except put on armour.

It's the Boba Fett syndrome calling again, I fear.

Best deaths for mine:

* Ed Stark

* Robb Stark

* The Red Viper

* Renly

* Lysa

I think the Mountain vs Red Viper was propbably the most exciting part of the series:

"Do you known who I am?"

"Some dead man."

The Mountain was a prophet without even knowing it!

The Red Wedding was the most shocking, with Ed's death not far behind (I always knew his honour would be the end of him).

Lysa's death was pretty satisfying...a nice window into LF's twisted soul plus the end of one crazy bitch!

As much as I long for happy Gendry/Arya, I've kind of given up on her since her chances aren't looking too good, realistically.

I know :( On the other hand, although this is psychologically realistic fantasy, it is still fantasy. Maybe Arya can turn things around ... Maybe something fabulous will happen to her and she won't always be a killer. Right? Right? I do love Arya so much - as I said earlier somewhere on this board (can't remember where, posting like a fiend), it's not the Red Wedding that breaks my heart so much as Arya's reaction afterwards. There's some point where she thinks that there's an empty place where the people she loved used to be. That's just ... one of the most awful things in the books, because she's just a little girl. Sigh!

I'm hoping she gets away thanks to UnGregor, feels terribly smug about beating the prophecy and then sees the Mother of Dragons flying over Casterly Rock. While it can be satisfying to think she brought about her own doom with her paranoia, I'd rather not have the Tyrells be the ones who get to crush her for good - that feels like more political maneuvering, not payback or justice.

Although what is beautiful about THAT is that she's brought the entire Tyrell thing down on her own head - if she'd listened to Jaime's or Kevan's perfectly sound advice about bringing one of Tyrell's bannermen on board as Hand and hadn't decided on that stupid game of one-upmanship against Margaery, she'd be sitting pretty ;)

Dacey has her own miniature fandom. :)

She just sounded so lovely, didn't she? And then she got an axe in the stomach. I tried to hope she might have survived that, but not so much, eh?

Archived