Dunstonbury Speculation: Who Currently Holds the Lordship?

Also, any guesses as to where Dunsonbury is located geographically?  We know it is somewhere along the Mander; but, that's still a fairly broad region/covers most of the reach.   Based on the Manderly's heraldry, I would guess that it's more likely located closer to the Sunset Sea/Shield Islands than further inland/near it's source/Tumbleton.  That might also make sense, since I think it's more likely that they were at least somewhat close to the Peake's (located somewhere along Dornish Marches/border), as the I think the being somewhat near in location could have been a contributing factor to their rivalry.  

Regarding who holds the castle.  By name, and maybe heraldry, house Dunn would seem to be a possible candidate (the pelican being close to the sea if above geographic speculation is accurate).   But, we really haven't seen/heard anything about them in any of the books.  House Lowther also has the dolphin in their heraldry, so could be a long shot candidate.  

Most of the current major Lords in the Reach (Rowan, Tarly, Oakheart, etc) seem to already have established seats of power.   I suppose it's possible that it's someone's 2nd or 3rd castle; but, that seems pretty uncommon in Westeros.  I'm not sure we know enough to separate the next tier; but, it seems like the most powerful (or most mentioned) Lords who don't have named seats seem to be  Ambrose, Ball, and Varner.   House Ambrose seems like maybe the most powerful/presitgeous of the Reach lords without a names seat of power.  On the other hand, because of their known history, I think it's likely they have some other family castle (likewise for Ball).  

I'm thinking maybe House Dunn is the most likely, as they could be a newer house who took their name based on being granted the castle after the Peake's were stripped of it.  

Curious what everyone else thinks?   

I guess hip being influenced by the CK2 mod, but the Green Apple Fossoway's seem like as good a guess as any. The green apple were landed after the Blackfyre rebellion but seem quite powerfull, so them being a beneficiary of House Peake downfall sounds plausible and could explain how they are as powerfull when they are so new.

On 8/27/2022 at 5:50 AM, Vaegon the dragonless said:

I guess hip being influenced by the CK2 mod, but the Green Apple Fossoway's seem like as good a guess as any. The green apple were landed after the Blackfyre rebellion but seem quite powerfull, so them being a beneficiary of House Peake downfall sounds plausible and could explain how they are as powerfull when they are so new.

Possible; but, aren't the Green apple Fossoway's described as a Knightly house - not Lords?   Also, that would mean that they possess 2 castles, since they already have New Barrell - which seems unlikely for Knights/non-Lords (though I suppose if they are rich enough, would be possible).  

On 8/27/2022 at 3:22 AM, Lord of Brewtown said:

Also, any guesses as to where Dunsonbury is located geographically? 

I subscribe your conclusions. I'm fairly certain that Dunstonbury is somewhere close the mouth of the Mander. An additional argument to support your thesis is that given that the Manderlys were able to transport a huge amount of people all the way to the White Harbor, that means they should have had a significant fleet.

Regarding who holds the castle.  By name, and maybe heraldry, house Dunn would seem to be a possible candidate (the pelican being close to the sea if above geographic speculation is accurate).   But, we really haven't seen/heard anything about them in any of the books. 

That's an interesting guess. Never thought about that before. House Dunn is actually mentioned once before. It's listed by Renly when he boasts about his supporters to Stannis:

Tyrell swords will make me king. Rowan and Tarly and Caron will make me king, with axe and mace and warhammer. Tarth arrows and Penrose lances, Fossoway, Cuy, Mullendore, Estermont, Selmy, Hightower, Oakheart, Crane, Caswell, Blackbar, Morrigen, Beesbury, Shermer, Dunn, Footly...

Renly mentioning them in this context would mean that they are a somewhat significant house, which would certainly be the case if they controlled Dunstonbury.

That said, the castle is not that far away from Highgarden. There's also the possibility that the Tyrells kept Dunstonbury for themselves.

seems like the most powerful (or most mentioned) Lords who don't have named seats seem to be  Ambrose, Ball, and Varner. 

Not really relevant to the topic at hand, but I don't think House Ball is or was particularly powerful. On of them become a famous knight, but that would be it. We never have seen any lord of the house, nor have we heard about Ball forces as a part of any army ever.

House Ambrose seems like maybe the most powerful/presitgeous of the Reach lords without a names seat of power.

It's a little bit baffling how George includes House Ambrose as one of the most significant bannermen of Highgarden in the appendixes of Feast and Dance, but fails to include the name of their keep (it's the only one that doesn't have it).

But if George had decided that the Ambroses had inherited Dunstonbury, the appendixes would show it. There's no reason to hide it. If Ambrose doesn't have a seat listed it can only be because George hasn't still found a name he's satisfied with.

4 hours ago, Lord of Brewtown said:

Possible; but, aren't the Green apple Fossoway's described as a Knightly house - not Lords?   Also, that would mean that they possess 2 castles, since they already have New Barrell - which seems unlikely for Knights/non-Lords (though I suppose if they are rich enough, would be possible).  

Yeah, the Green apple Fossoway's are a knightly house but they are a powerfull one, if I recall correctly, Garlan Tyrell's wife is a green apple Fossoway so they clearly have a important role and a certain status. 

Yes, it could mean they have more then one castle (wich is weirdly the exeption in westeros) but they could have also only got the lands but the castle it self was destroyed or even they decided that the castle changing hands more then once was a bad omen and either changed its name or  abandoned it and built New Barrel instead. It is also interesting to note that Whitegrove, the third castle of house peake is also un-accounted for, so for me the idea of them being destroyed and the lands giving to other family's makes sense. And the green apple Fossoway convienetly arrive on the scene at that time.

Archived