Three Breeds of Dragon

10 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

I'm often concerned that they'll condense Rhaena with someone else, to cut out Nettles or something. I wouldn't object to her new egg Morning hatching early in Season 2, BEFORE she goes to the Vale with this cat-sized dragon, I mean a big condensation.

I don't think they intend to take that route since they established there are three wild dragons out there. Now, they certainly could use the Grey Ghost just the way it is used in the book ... but he could just as well be claimed by Rhaena. He doesn't do anything of note in the book aside from being killed.

Now, Baela and Rhaena cannot just play the small roles they have in the book. They need something to do since they have been build up as crucial secondary characters. Baela cannot just sit on her hands on Dragonstone, and Rhaena cannot just spend the entire war in the Vale.

They can play around with those characters without chaning the larger story simply by having them accompany armies which lack dragonriders in the book. Baela or Rhaena could be part of the Fishfeed or the Butcher's Ball, say. They could visit with/be with their father at Harrenhal from time to time. They could attend Rhaenyra at court in KL and play crucial roles when everything gets fucked up. They will also have Rhaenyra do stuff before she takes KL. She cannot sit on her hands for about a yeat, either.

Of course, if they make Rhaena a dragonrider before Morning then they have to kill said dragon eventually so she can hatch Morning - one way to do that would be to have the Grey Ghost be one of the dragons killed during the Storming of the Dragonpit with Rhaena afterwards accompanying the ship to the Vale with a dragon egg whilst Rhaenyra returns to Dragonstone intending to mount the Cannibal.

10 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

You know, like how they carefully worded "Stannis has no sons", to self-consciously leave open the door to say he has a daughter. 

So while part of me suspects they half set up the option to combine Rhaena with Nettles (camera lingers on her when describing the wild ones)....maybe that was just a "worst case scenario" in case Season 1 wasn't a hit. I mean, they also avoided definitively saying how many children Alicent has in total, to leave open the door for Daeron.

Plans change, after all. 

That makes a lot of sense for Daeron, but less so for Nettles. She is too prominent a character to cut her if the show gets a second season and is a hit. If they get to the dragonseeds and stuff she would be in there most definitely.

However, having this crucial plot in season 1 of Rhaena being dragonless, feeling overlooked/ignored by her father because of that, and desiring her mother's dragon Vhagar for those reasons ... only to have her then not mount any of the six riderless dragons on Dragonstone and Driftmark just makes no sense. Rhaena looks and feels older than she is in the book - but even if she didn't, it actually makes no sense that nobody told Rhaena to mount Silverwing or Vermithor or Seasmoke back when the war began. Many Targaryens claimed dragons at an earlier age - among them both Laena and Aemond (and Rhaenyra mounted Syrax at seven!).

In the book it seems they really drop the search for dragonriders until after Joffrey Velaryon and Rhaena have gone to the Vale - and thus Rhaena isn't there when Jace starts looking for people who could claim the riderless dragons. But that makes them actually look pretty stupid.

The show could have Rhaena being really crushed in the wake of Luke's death, going out into the mountains wanting to be alone, etc. And there the Grey Ghost could sense her pain, search her out, and she ends up mounting him.

On 2/18/2023 at 11:20 PM, Lord Varys said:

I don't think they intend to take that route since they established there are three wild dragons out there. Now, they certainly could use the Grey Ghost just the way it is used in the book ... but he could just as well be claimed by Rhaena. He doesn't do anything of note in the book aside from being killed.

Now, Baela and Rhaena cannot just play the small roles they have in the book. They need something to do since they have been build up as crucial secondary characters. Baela cannot just sit on her hands on Dragonstone, and Rhaena cannot just spend the entire war in the Vale.

they could give her silverwing  and kill her  in the first battle of tumblton 

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in such things, this is the 40 minute guide I put together on "everything we know about the three draagon breeds, six months since we first found out about them":

I just cobbled it together from what we've been able to find scattered about. Has a few interesting things the designer told me in Instagram comments, and some concept art he posted there too. This is all of course "provisional". 

Archived