Do you think that the fact Jaime, Tyrion and even Tywin (to an extent) are beloved by the fandom while Cersei is hated indicates some sexism?

boltons are sick

6 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

It seems you fooled yourself.

Hopefully 

7 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

Not many people do

Jan 6th committee?

There's a lot here that suggests you see some complexity, ambiguity and, yes, probably some morality as people in the ancient world wrestled with what to do and how to do it, rather than dismissing them as evil, amoral barbarians.  I quite approve :thumbsup:

Well they all took pleasure at least once a year in a parade of crucified dogs (and all sorts of other stuff) so I'm still pretty dismissive.

But you also didn't answer my question, how should I judge an event where, yes the people are from an unbelievably different culture from me, but whose entire identity is in development, conflict and demanding of study?

No, I'm not.  I think it simplifies grossly and is vastly overused when people don't understand or like something - as in discounting most of humanity's existence - so should be used sparingly and deliberately.

But it is a word, is it not? And if we shouldn't use it for slavery or human sacrifice then when should we?

No, I don't think they did, actually.  Systems change gradually over time or with short sharp shocks (trend or turning point) but typically people regard change as beneficial without seeing the past or their ancestors as evil

Which is another reason why I smugly think we are far greater then our forebarers.

You remind me a bit of Bill Bryson when it comes to style so you should write a world history.  If nothing else it would be entertaining!

I don't know who that is, but google has very nice things to say about him so, :D thank you! Ive thought of it before, I even came up with the first sentence. "The funniest parts of history are the jokes." But the entire subject is beyond too daunting so all I've written is one sentence. Recently with books like asoiaf I've been inspired to study and rough draft a few chapters about the Mexican Revolution, but the more I go the more daunting this gets too lol. Also I'm not sure how funny it can be which would be a terrible thing

Archived