Show Spoiler Policy...Revisited?

Phylum of Alexandria

Given that HBO's Game of Thrones series ended about 4 years ago, might the board moderators reconsider the current policy on discussing show content on the General (ASOIAF) forum?

What I'm talking about are references here and there within topic posts that are primarily focused on the books. I don't even like the show, but I find it a useful point of reference when speculating on where the books may go.

How about a hard rule that any show content needs to be placed under a spoiler filter? And a "show spoilers" warning in the title of any topic post that refers to show content. And a shut-down of topics that are exclusively or mainly about the show, given that there is a dedicated forum space for that.

To be clear, this would be about Game of Thrones only; not House of the Dragon, which is still running.

What do you think?  If not now, will it ever be considered?

What if cupcakes are added into the equation?

Thanks for your input!

2 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

Trouble is, when the show is allowed in on equal terms, it will become canon - things the books leave ambiguous will be decided by what the show did, and it'll be hard work arguing against it.

I agree. I don't think it should be on equal terms, just the notion that a reference here in a larger post focused on the books should be fair game.

4 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

things the books leave ambiguous will be decided by what the show did, and it'll be hard work arguing against it

Hopefully by now most of the fandom can accept that D&D are total idiots. Even if they knew exactly what the details of the book were (and they largely didn't) they would have found a way to screw it up and dumb it down. Quite far from canon.

Archived