Location of Wendish Town on it's wiki page is in the wrong place

LazarKg

Been following events of War of Five Kings and noticed location of Wendish Town on the wiki is put way too far north, beyond Riverrun which doesn't make much sense and is causing people making maps of the world putting it there too. I'd like to change it but to be able to join wiki I need to make 5 posts, so here I am ;) . I don't want to make them just for the sake of it so it will be a while until I get an idea for more posts thus I would ask established members to consider making said edit if they can beforehand.

While I saw there are maps putting it that far north I think that in this instance books have to take precedence and the only mention of Wendish town in the books is in that bit in A Game of Thrones, Chapter 43, Eddard XI where it is clear from context it was raided in same raid of Gregor Clegane as were Sherrer and Mummer’s Ford and that it is in close proximity of them.

“Sad-eyed Ser Karyl Vance, who would have been handsome but for the winestain birthmark that discolored his face, gestured at the kneeling villagers. “This is all the remains of the holdfast of Sherrer, Lord Eddard. The rest are dead, along with the people of Wendish Town and the Mummer’s Ford”

It makes little sense for it to be on completely other side of the Riverlands and for the Mountain to teleport behind Riverrun and riverlord armies across several rivers in order to raid it and at that early point he is explicitly the only one condemned for raiding and no other raiding party that would come to the northern part is mentioned.

I noticed Atlas of Ice and fire fan made map also put it northwards while that old speculative fan made map puts it in a more plausible location http://www.sermountaingoat.co.uk/map/versions/speculative_map.jpg

While I agree with you @LazarKg the location for Wendish Town seems off on the Wiki, we don't have a precise location for it either. Your argument makes sense but before editing the article, I'd like to have @Ran's opinion on the subject. Especially since he is the most qualify to explain how the locations of Mummer's Ford and Stone Mill were chosen for the AWOIAF app and how accurate should we consider these information.

Also the location of Mummer's Ford and Sherrer should definitively be switched on the speculative map you provided. The text points out that MF is upriver compared to Sherrer, meaning that MF is nearer to the source of the Red Fork (in the mountains close to Hornvale) than Sherrer is.

Wendish Town's location is derived from HBO's map for Game of Thrones Season 1, which reportedly drew on GRRM's own information.

Whilst the location appears problematic, it does make more sense when you compare it to The World of Ice and Fire, which has a "salient" of Lannister territory extending across the entire northern border of the Riverlands, extending surprisingly close to Seagard and Fairmarket. That puts Wendish Town's location much more plausibly within striking/raiding distance of Lannister territory.

The HBO maps are not necessarily definitive (i.e. all of Essos east of Vaes Dothrak is "wrong," because George changed the entire layout of the continent after giving HBO his original map but before working on Lands of Ice and Fire) but in the absence of any other map showing the location of the town, they are the best source to go on.

@Werthead How accurate do you think the "Journeys" map from The Lands of Ice and Fire is ?

I ask because to me there is a blunt error for the Davos' journey. His off-page trip to convince the stormlords to join Stannis during the time of AGOT, is shown on the map as Dragonstone -> along the coast then Straits of Tarth to Evenfall Hall (House Tarth) -> regain the mainland and going upriver to Haystack Hall (House Errol) then going back to Dragonstone. But in the prologue of ACOK Davos says the following :

I broke bread with Gulian Swann and old Penrose, and the Tarths consented to a midnight meeting in a grove. The others—well, Beric Dondarrion is gone missing, some say dead, and Lord Caron is with Renly. Bryce the Orange, of the Rainbow Guard.

We don't know where Parchments (House Penrose) is but Stonehelm (House Swann) is futher to the south on Cape Wrath and is not shown on the "Journeys" map.

Archived