One thing I like…

Maegor_the_Cool

About the Show, in the first season, Ned is a significantly more proficient and famous swordsmen in the show than his book counterpart. 

Given that he survived a fight with and killed Ser Arthur Dayne and Ser Gerold Hightower, it’d make more sense. I also liked how it added more to his relationship with Jaime Lannister. Ned killed his two heroes so prime Jaime really wants to fight him.

It also adds to the shock of Ned’s death in a way. Ned is the moral center of the first book, and you go into it thinking he is the series lead. Having him being an excellent and famous swordsmen is par for the course with fantasy. More of shock when Ned does eventually meet his fate because of politics, not martial prowess.

Edited by Jon Snowfyre
Holy shit spelling

32 minutes ago, Jon Snowfyre said:

About the Show, in the first season, Ned is a significantly more proficient and famous swordsmen in the show than his book counterpart. 

Given that he survived a fight with and killed Ser Arthur Dayne and Ser Gerold Hightower, it’d make more sense. I also liked how it added more to his relationship with Jaime Lannister. Ned killed his two heroes so prime Jaime really wants to fight him.

Itd also add to the shock of Ned’s death in a way. Ned is the moral center of the first book, and you go into it thinking he is the series lead. Having him being an excellent and famous sword mend is par fro the course with fantasy. More of shock when Ned does eventually meet his fate because of politics, not martial prowess.

I seem to recall from the books that he is regarded as having defeated Arthur Dayne in single combat, which is a significant accomplishment in itself.  He never had the opportunity to use his sword in a fight or tourney so we had no opportunity to see his capabilities.

I did see the show (that part of it, at least) but I don't remember any reference to his fighting abilities.

18 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I seem to recall from the books that he is regarded as having defeated Arthur Dayne in single combat, which is a significant accomplishment in itself.  He never had the opportunity to use his sword in a fight or tourney so we had no opportunity to see his capabilities.

I did see the show (that part of it, at least) but I don't remember any reference to his fighting abilities.

He was on par and fighting evenly with Prime Jaime

3 minutes ago, Jon Snowfyre said:

He was on par and fighting evenly with Prime Jaime

On a later season we see him get beaten by a prime Arthur Dayne, though. If not for Howland Reed. And the TV show fight with Jaime was, at best, inconclusive. When the single fight began, Jaime had Ned sorrounded by the Lannister guard, giving the fight not a very leveled start.

In the end, both were castle trained swordsmen. Even if Jaime was a far superior swordsman than Eddard, the fight would not be decided in three or four blows. Consider professional sports, like tennis. A top 10 would not beat 6-0 6-0 a player ranked, say, 80º in the world. Differences in the elite (and players ranked between 1 to 100 are elite) are not that big. Same with Jaime and Eddard. Both castle trained and experienced in combat.

11 minutes ago, Jon Fossoway said:

On a later season we see him get beaten by a prime Arthur Dayne, though. If not for Howland Reed. And the TV show fight with Jaime was, at best, inconclusive. When the single fight began, Jaime had Ned sorrounded by the Lannister guard, giving the fight not a very leveled start.

In the end, both were castle trained swordsmen. Even if Jaime was a far superior swordsman than Eddard, the fight would not be decided in three or four blows. Consider professional sports, like tennis. A top 10 would not beat 6-0 6-0 a player ranked, say, 80º in the world. Differences in the elite (and players ranked between 1 to 100 are elite) are not that big. Same with Jaime and Eddard. Both castle trained and experienced in combat.

Well that there is the fantasy element. A drawn out sword fight is more entertaining. And if the swordsmen are skilled enough a fight could last a few minutes.