Pulp Genres...

Jaxom 1974

Consider the way that Old Time Radio (OTR) would have selections from Crime, Thriller, Adventure, Science Fiction, Western, Mystery, Kids' Adventure, Soap Operas, etc.  Many pulp novels found a second life on the radio in the 1940s and 50s.

Quite a large number of Golden Age Sci-Fi was recast at OTR broadcasts; for example, this Dimension X's radio play of The Potters of Firsk by Jack Vance.  It seems to me that one of the shows, maybe X Minus One, had some sort of arrangement to broadcast radio plays of stuff that appeared previously in Galaxy magazine.

As an elementary age kid, the local college radio station would replay OTR stuff on Thursday nights.  If I hustled home from baseball practice, I could listen to the show while I bathed.  At that age, The Lone Ranger was my strong preference, with but I also remember lots of Noir stories that I didn't really comprehend, except for the inevitable gunshots at the end.

Specifically, I can remember they started in on Robert Heinlein's Space Cadet series, but we moved overseas before I got to finish listening to it.  

There are so many OTR broadcasts available online, some requiring payment, but others for free, that French DJs (Birdy Nam Nam, DJ Pone, etc.) started remixing it into their sets in the 2000s, the UK scene previously had this sort of thing, and here in the States we got stuff like this.

Edited by Wilbur
added links

50 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

There are so many OTR broadcasts available online, some requiring payment, but others for free, that French DJs (Birdy Nam Nam, DJ Pone, etc.) started remixing it into their sets in the 2000s, the UK scene previously had this sort of thing, and here in the States we got stuff like this.

Oh I occasionally listen to the Sirus XM station dedicated to old radio programming.

On 2/22/2024 at 6:29 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Oh I occasionally listen to the Sirus XM station dedicated to old radio programming.

Are you able to listen through an entire program at your own convenience, or do you need to start listening at a set time on Sirius XM?

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Are you able to listen through an entire program at your own convenience, or do you need to start listening at a set time on Sirius XM?

I think there is a way to do it in the app, but I don't know for certain. I usually will just turn it on and go with the flow if it's an interesting program.