Help find a book?

Hey everyone--I have posted this in reddit a few times (different subreddits) to no avail, so this is kind of a last ditch effort before I give up.

Back in 6th grade (1990ish) my teacher would read to us. I remember two books: the Hobbit (which started my love of fantasy), and another book I'd like to go back and read but I can't remember it's name. 

Here is what I remember--and it has elements of fantasy to it (a party of warriors venturing out, each with their own strength) though I'd say it's probably historical fiction.

I remember the main character is a native American young man who can't become a warrior (I think) in his tribe because he has a bad leg. He hears about a place that natives believe has magic to it--a hot spring I think. So he sets out on a journey to go and see if he can heal his leg there.

Along the way, he collects a small party of warriors. I remember they each represent one aspect of strength--like one is super fast (but weak in other areas), one is really strong, and there is an old man native who I believe is good with a bow and arrow. There is a bad group of natives after them I think. I remember the old man has like 1 arrow in his quiver he never uses and keeps saying he'll save it, then at the end he kills the antagonist with it and says something like, "That's what I was saving it for."

I also remember the hot springs does not heal the protagonist's leg, but he does get attacked by a bear shortly after, and it slashes his leg before he drives it away or kills it. When his leg heals, it is better (maybe not fully healed, but he is no longer limited by it like he was). I remember my teacher pointing out that the protagonist was not an expert at any of the skills important to the warriors--running, shooting a bow and arrow, and being strong (each of his friends represents one of those), but that he good in all areas by the end of the book making him a good leader.

Anyway, that's about all I remember. I figure if you guys don't know, I'll just let it go. :crying:

P.S. I think one reason it's hard to find when I Google for it is because it was likely written by a white author (given the timeframe) and (rightly so) most things that come up in my searches are written by indigenous authors. 

Edited by Centrist Simon Steele

13 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I can't say that sounds particularly familiar, but it sounds like the kind of story that W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear would write as part of their North America's Forgotten Past series...

Thanks, Jaxom--yeah, you're right, these aren't them, but they're absolutely in this genre. Maybe I'll check these out if I never find this other book.