The Pious Lion

Going back to my problem with how the Faith is portrayed, I was thinking about which characters could be religious yet still be the characters they are. There are multiple but, I think the best character would be Tywin. The Rains of Castamere would still happen as is his right, however I don't think the death of Aegon and Rhaenys, which would be good as Robert and Cersei's son would marry Rhaenys and Aegon could go to the wall. In the War of 5 Kings he would've acted the same way  Any thoughts and additions?

We have several religions in the story. Most don't seem to impose much in the way of a moral code. There's nothing like the Ten Commandments, for example. That being said, several of the characters are clearly religious. Catelyn frequently prays to the Seven and seeks guidance and comfort from the Faith. Ned clearly embodies adherence to the old gods. There are other clearly religious characters. Twyin is not one of them. His worldview, his actions, his concerns, what he talks about. None of it is religious. That's not a criticism, just an observation. I don't see how you could make Twyin religious without actually changing the character.

I think Tywin is both ambitious and practical.  His actions and his morals are mutable depending on what he thinks will work best to get him what he wants.  Tywin would be pious, or at least appear to be, if it helped him get / maintain his goals.  He will be pious and follow the Seven as it helps him keep power / keep the Kingdom together, but I don't see any real following of the religion.  

Do you mean if he were re-written as a religious man his actions would largely be the same?

On 4/17/2024 at 11:40 PM, KingoftheRiversandtheHills said:

Going back to my problem with how the Faith is portrayed, I was thinking about which characters could be religious yet still be the characters they are. There are multiple but, I think the best character would be Tywin. The Rains of Castamere would still happen as is his right, however I don't think the death of Aegon and Rhaenys, which would be good as Robert and Cersei's son would marry Rhaenys and Aegon could go to the wall. In the War of 5 Kings he would've acted the same way  Any thoughts and additions?

Personal interests can override religious faith. Just look at Robb. He swore an oath to Walder but his feelings for Jeyne turned him into an oathbreaker. 

It wasn't feelings, he slept with her out of grief, then realized his mistakes, and he married her out of honor, there was geniune feelings in there (like him being upset his mother convinced him to leave her behind.) But that wasn't the reason why married her, if Robb never thought Bran and Rickon, where dead he would never married her.

Which that and Roslin/Edmure is the only reasons why I would be happy in AU Red Wedding never happened, I'm such a romantic ah.:P