Best Fighters of Westeros

Aunai

Arya, whose life has become a constant cycle of violence, who travelled with and saw Sandor Clegane in combat? Um, lemme thi-yes.

Catelyn had never seen a true battle then? Only watered down melee combat? Ok, then! Invalid points, thanks.

A wise man would realize that you've been proven wrong when you claim that Cat is a poor judge of a man's fighting ability...yet you hold on to your stubborness and continue to bring up senseless arguments. Arya has been involved in a lot of combat as of late, that is correct, however she has not been witness to the amount of fighting that Cat has seen in her life. Neither has Dany. As I mentioned before she's seen fighting her whole life. Your watered down combat statement is bullshit, especially given the fact that you always bring up Loras when it comes to best fighters. Loras is a boy who hasn't fought a real battle, and is primarily reknown as a tourny knight, 'tis all. If we can base Loras' skill due to his skill in tournaments, why can't we use Cat's judgement of Bronn's skill even if her primarily base of foundation is from watching tournies and fights in the training yard? Oh, right, we can't because then you'd have to admit you're wrong, and that can't happen.

Thanks for affirming you know absolutely nothing about fighting beyond gladiator movies and anime. A good swing with a sword? Try to block that with one sword and the vibrations and power will nearly break your armor. And you lose balance, weight, power from the swing...yeah, you know absolutely fuck all about swordplay..

How many swordsfights have you been in your life-time? :fence: I will admit that I am not exactly an expert when it comes to sword play, however, I do know that one of the reported best swordsmen to ever have lived fought with two swords. He must've certainly went through alot of armour then. :rofl:

Oh, and by the way: stop your hypocritical foolishness: Sandor quite clearly is familiar with an axe, is a lot better than a run-down, unskilled old man and knows his way around weapons. A sword is still a sword and Sandor had trouble in that fight. I countered your points perfectly: You used a false parallel because you need to prove the axe was unfamiliar to Sandor.

We know for a fact Arryn's sword was unfamiliar to Vardis?

Kay? Kay.

Prove it. Go on, prove the axe was unfamiliar to Sandor

*Expects whining 'prove it WASN'T!' fallacy

Unfamiliar:

un·fa·mil·iar

adj.

Not being acquainted; not conversant: unfamiliar with the roads here.

Not within one's knowledge; strange: unfamiliar faces.

Surely an axe that Sandor just picked up off the body of a fallen foe is just as unfamiliar as a ceremonial sword that was just given to Vardis? See, your unfamiliar argument falls apart like stale bread because that is not what you should be trying to argue...you should be trying to argue that Sandor is more skilled overall than Vardis, which is why he is better able to fight with an unfamiliar weapon. Because, when you get down to it, the sword Vardis used in the duel against Bronn was just as unfamiliar to him as the axe Sandor used at the Red Wedding was to Sandor. Unless of course you want to suggest that Sandor actually used the axe prior to the Red Wedding and the Frey bannerman that was wielding it was merely keeping it safe for Sandor until her really needed it. :rolleyes:

Yes you do. You make the claim, so you back it up. A lance isn't a spear, btw.

Really? A lance isn't a spear you say? Well colour me surprised. :wideeyed:

I brought up Bronn using a lance to show that he is capable at handling weapons outside of swords...so the idea that Bronn could have (hypothetically) used a spear if he duelled Gregor is not entirely incorrect.

When did he joust? You mean with Balman, when he speared Balman's horse? Clever, but you don't exactly have to be Loras Tyrell to hit a horse in the chest that's coming right at you. It's not exactly evidence of skill.

And even if there were some evidence of Bronn's skill as a mounted lancer, that's still quite different from the way a person with a spear would fight on foot.

See, I like your responses when they are like this, y'know, when you actually discuss the topic. You can actually do it well when you focus on the topic. :love:

However, the main point I was trying to make by bringing up the lance incident was to suggest that Bronn is capable of using weapons outside of swords... I may not have been as clear as I intended and thus I am sorry. That's what I meant though, not that using a lance is akin to using a spear.

Incorrect. Read the passage again. Bronn clearly states that Tyrion is not the only Lannister and that Cersei's offer was much more tempting to Bronn. If Bronn fought the man no matter the outcome he was worse off.

Tempting beacuse he doesn't have to fight and get a fat noble pregnant wife with 0% risk while Tyrion offered anything he could thing of to intice Bronn for a much riskier task of killing Gregor. Not to mention the intangible rewards of being known as the Greatest fighter in westeros for killing the notorous beast Gregor. Cersei obvously wasn't going to give Bronn as much as Tyrion would and could have it wasn't about the payment it was about the risks which he deemed were too great to the point where he admited fear.

I don't have to prove that Bronn can use a spear, however it is ignorant to assume that sellsword would not know how to use one. The man uses a lance in a joust, and he's a lowborn sellsword who has not had the knightly training as highborn men do, yet he uses the lance quite skillfully.

This must be a joke, killing a man's horse in a duel is one of the greatest midevil crimes and shows a lancer of low skill. The knight who did it to Beric in the hands tourny lost everything for that and Beric was awarded the victory. Had the tilt taken place in a more friendly place for Balman, Bronn whould likely be dragged off his horse and killed for disgracing himself, but Bronn being the clever man he is had his army of sellswords there so no one could stop him.

A wise man would realize that you've been proven wrong when you claim that Cat is a poor judge of a man's fighting ability...yet you hold on to your stubborness and continue to bring up senseless arguments. Arya has been involved in a lot of combat as of late, that is correct, however she has not been witness to the amount of fighting that Cat has seen in her life. Neither has Dany. As I mentioned before she's seen fighting her whole life. Your watered down combat statement is bullshit, especially given the fact that you always bring up Loras when it comes to best fighters. Loras is a boy who hasn't fought a real battle, and is primarily reknown as a tourny knight, 'tis all. If we can base Loras' skill due to his skill in tournaments, why can't we use Cat's judgement of Bronn's skill even if her primarily base of foundation is from watching tournies and fights in the training yard? Oh, right, we can't because then you'd have to admit you're wrong, and that can't happen.

Not that this is something i'd care to debate over and over as you two seem to but i'll say this on the judging talent issue.

Cat saw X number of tournys and two deuls and fending off the mountain rabble with their wooden weapons. From seeing Brandon make short work of unskilled small heavily armoured Petyr she can't have seen much of really skilled actual combat. Against the Mountain people she saw her trained fighters make short work of most of the mountain people yet give way to superior nubers, Bronn most noteably as he was the most skilled at least now that Rodrik is old. Tourny combat is tainted because there is no urgency. Thus fighters true potential can be squashed and it's harder to acturately judge. Cat never claims to be overly proficient at judging swords manship so why should we beleive she's the be all and end all of it?

Loras untill resently was a tourny jockey never having a real fight till killing the highly touted Robar and the above adverage Emmon. Then goes on to preform many valors feats in the Blackwater and again at Dragonstone. So when he was just a tourny darling he wasn't really one westeros greatest fighters because we (and westeros) didn't know if he could back it up when its real as great sparing doesn't make great fighters winning fights does. But now after he's proven he can bring it when it counts he's obvously one of the most skilled fighters.

So you agree your statement made no sence since there was nothing Tyrion could possibly offer him to fight?

I'm saying that Tyrion didn't have anything to bargain with. Even if he survived trial, he would still be exiled with little or no possession, and would never be allowed to return.

What he put before Bronn was fairytale, and not very believable one too...

A good swing with a sword? Try to block that with one sword and the vibrations and power will nearly break your armor.

This is really far-stretching it. It is well known that swords (medieval swords) can be used to deflect a swing, it is not same as blocking and requires some skill, but sword was used in that way.

We know for a fact Arryn's sword was unfamiliar to Vardis?

I'm tired of this argument, as it proves nothing.

You say it was ceremonial weapon; so what ? It is not like it was blunt, but decorated with Arryn's eagle.

You say it was unfamiliar to Ser Vardis ? What kind of sword he used before ?! He wasn't familiar with blade and hilt ?! You are talking almost like he was given a gun, and that he never seen it in his life before.

In the end, if you can swim, you can swim in any sea, lake or river. If you can't it is because you are a bad swimmer, and Ser Vardis Eggen wasn't a bad swordsman.

Loras untill resently was a tourny jockey never having a real fight till killing the highly touted Robar and the above adverage Emmon.

Get serious, he killed two of his own man, without giving them much notice. Even if they had swords they hesitated to rise it against their "Lord Commander" before it was too late.

Then goes on to preform many valors feats in the Blackwater

Unlike Bronn ?!

and again at Dragonstone

That one doesn't go into his favor, as he was mutilated and almost killed there. As much as it proves his fighting prowess it proves his lack of tact, and foolishness as well.

See, I like your responses when they are like this, y'know, when you actually discuss the topic. You can actually do it well when you focus on the topic. :love:

Now see, if you could just get over yourself and your hypocritical condescension about discussing the topic, I wouldn't feel compelled to remind you of your own string of repeated personal attacks or the fact that your first-page threadjack and ad hominem attacks got another perfectly fine thread shut down. Change begins from within. If you really want to claim the moral high ground like you've been desperately trying to do, just leave off with the personal shit.

However, the main point I was trying to make by bringing up the lance incident was to suggest that Bronn is capable of using weapons outside of swords... I may not have been as clear as I intended and thus I am sorry. That's what I meant though, not that using a lance is akin to using a spear.

I thought the point you were making was that Bronn could be very skilled with a weapon he hadn't had much formal training in -- so I have to ask how spearing a horse in the chest proves much about Bronn's ability to pick up unfamiliar weapons. If he'd actually unhorsed Balman with the unfamiliar lance, I'd see the point you were trying to make. As it stands, Bronn's "joust" doesn't seem very relevant to questions about his ability to pick up, and skillfully use, unfamiliar weapons.

Cat is a poor judge of fighting abilities if she's never seen a life or death battle. Arya has seen several to that point. Who would I trust more? A sheltered, highborn lady, or a kid running across the countryside who has killed people, trained with Syrio Forel, travelled with Sandor Clegane and Gregor Clegane, among other details?

And guess what?

How many swordsfights have you been in your life-time? :fence: I will admit that I am not exactly an expert when it comes to sword play, however, I do know that one of the reported best swordsmen to ever have lived fought with two swords. He must've certainly went through alot of armour then. :rofl:

Unfamiliar:

Don't be stupid. Musashi Miyamoto is a figured shrouded in pure myth and some contest his duels might even have been ambushes. And it's a fact he used plenty of tricks against opponents. Oh, and last I checked: A westerosi sword is most emphatically not a Japanese blade, which tend to be lighter and slimmer.

un·fa·mil·iar

adj.

Not being acquainted; not conversant: unfamiliar with the roads here.

Not within one's knowledge; strange: unfamiliar faces.

Surely an axe that Sandor just picked up off the body of a fallen foe is just as unfamiliar as a ceremonial sword that was just given to Vardis? See, your unfamiliar argument falls apart like stale bread because that is not what you should be trying to argue...you should be trying to argue that Sandor is more skilled overall than Vardis, which is why he is better able to fight with an unfamiliar weapon. Because, when you get down to it, the sword Vardis used in the duel against Bronn was just as unfamiliar to him as the axe Sandor used at the Red Wedding was to Sandor. Unless of course you want to suggest that Sandor actually used the axe prior to the Red Wedding and the Frey bannerman that was wielding it was merely keeping it safe for Sandor until her really needed it. :rolleyes:

Are you being foolish on purpose? I know what 'unfamiliar' means. Prove an axe is unfamiliar to Sandor. Since he uses it so well, it's obvious the weapon was not unfamiliar. Sandor is not a knight, so no restriction there; he is a bodyguard and a killer, and has gone been killing men since he was Joffrey's age. That an axe would be a weapon he knows how to use is not outside the realm of possibility.

Here's a conundrum for you: You kill a guy, see he has a weapon that fits the situation better, a weapon you probably know how to use, being one of the best killers in the realm. An axe will do a lot more damage than a sword when the goal is to escape with your life. Wider swings, more more, and will cover more ground without stopping.

Am I saying Sandor knew his way around an axe? No. Am I saying there is any evidence he was unfamiliar with it as his skill with it and his history hints otherwise? No

Really? A lance isn't a spear you say? Well colour me surprised. :wideeyed:

I'm sorry, a lance used for jousting is not the same as a combat spear. A lance is a polearm based on the spear. A lance is meant to be used from horseback, gripped with one hand. A spear is more commonly used differently

I brought up Bronn using a lance to show that he is capable at handling weapons outside of swords...so the idea that Bronn could have (hypothetically) used a spear if he duelled Gregor is not entirely incorrect.

Notice Bronn didn't, y'know, meet Balman in a battle of lances, he killed his horse instead.

A lance on horseback is not a combat spear. Poor example

What he put before Bronn was fairytale, and not very believable one too...

This is really far-stretching it. It is well known that swords (medieval swords) can be used to deflect a swing, it is not same as blocking and requires some skill, but sword was used in that way.

I'm tired of this argument, as it proves nothing.

My error: 'arm,' not armor

You say it was ceremonial weapon; so what ? It is not like it was blunt, but decorated with Arryn's eagle.

No, but ceremonial swords aren';t meant to be used in actual duels to the death.

You say it was unfamiliar to Ser Vardis ? What kind of sword he used before ?! He wasn't familiar with blade and hilt ?! You are talking almost like he was given a gun, and that he never seen it in his life before.

If he was, maybe the damn sword wouldn't have broken when Vardis fell into a very basic trap. If Vardis was using his own sword, made for combat, it might have been different

In the end, if you can swim, you can swim in any sea, lake or river. If you can't it is because you are a bad swimmer, and Ser Vardis Eggen wasn't a bad swordsman.

Medicore isn't the same as bad

I'm saying that Tyrion didn't have anything to bargain with. Even if he survived trial, he would still be exiled with little or no possession, and would never be allowed to return.

Tyrion who is portrayed as one of the richest people in westeros suddenly becomes pennyless? For proving himself gilt-free, is condemed to exile? That's the fairytale. He's well respected and connected with disigns on the north with justice satified no one would force such things on him, look at Dunk a lowly hedge knight assulted a Prince, then was blamed for the death of the Crown Price suffered no additional punishment after winning his trail. Heck even crazy Lisa lets bygone be and releases Tyrion without malice.

Get serious, he killed two of his own man, without giving them much notice. Even if they had swords they hesitated to rise it against their "Lord Commander" before it was too late.

What we know was it was a red rage not really an even fight still either of them are faster, younger and stronger than Egan. There were two of them if one say the other get killed surely he'd defend himself? The details we don't know perhaps it took no skill perhaps he was just that much quicker then them. Point is he killed one of westeros' best and another who was above adverage.

Unlike Bronn ?!

Loras charged into battle with sword in hand killing knights. Bronn defended a tower for all we know with a crossbow.

That one doesn't go into his favor, as he was mutilated and almost killed there. As much as it proves his fighting prowess it proves his lack of tact, and foolishness as well.

Why doesn't that go in his favour? he takes arrows and boiling oil? That can happen to anyone. Never does it say a guy slashed his guts over the field while he was the first over TWO walls killing men as he went. If anything it shows he's too coragous for large battles but in duels he'd be superb because he has no fear unlike Bronn.

Cat is a poor judge of fighting abilities if she's never seen a life or death battle. Arya has seen several to that point. Who would I trust more? A sheltered, highborn lady, or a kid running across the countryside who has killed people, trained with Syrio Forel, travelled with Sandor Clegane and Gregor Clegane, among other details?

And guess what?

Weaksauce argument. there's plenty of athletes who have never been in the playoffs, superbowl, world series, yet they are considered to be the best of the best. You cannot even remotelely come close to labelling Arya or Dany as a better judge of a man's abilities than Cat unless you are a faboy.

Don't be stupid. Musashi Miyamoto is a figured shrouded in pure myth and some contest his duels might even have been ambushes. And it's a fact he used plenty of tricks against opponents. Oh, and last I checked: A westerosi sword is most emphatically not a Japanese blade, which tend to be lighter and slimmer.

Lay off the attacks mon amie. There are more people who contest that Mushashi's duels were legit than there are who claim otherwise...in addition there is a school of sword combat based on his training of duel wielding...it is an effective method of combat when used by a skilled individual.

Are you being foolish on purpose? I know what 'unfamiliar' means. Prove an axe is unfamiliar to Sandor. Since he uses it so well, it's obvious the weapon was not unfamiliar. Sandor is not a knight, so no restriction there; he is a bodyguard and a killer, and has gone been killing men since he was Joffrey's age. That an axe would be a weapon he knows how to use is not outside the realm of possibility.

Ok. But you say the sword Vardis used was unfamiliar and this is a reason why Bronn won? Why is it unfamiliar? Because he has never used it before right? Well Sandor has never used the particular axe he used at the Red Wedding until the Red Wedding...once again your argument sucks. I am not saying that axes in general are unfamiliar to Sandor, what I am saying is that the specific axe he used at the Red Wedding was unfamiliar because he picked it off the corpse of a dead Frey man at arms...just liket he specific sword that Vardis used was unfamiliar to him during the duel (which is your main argumen against Bronn.).

Here's a conundrum for you: You kill a guy, see he has a weapon that fits the situation better, a weapon you probably know how to use, being one of the best killers in the realm. An axe will do a lot more damage than a sword when the goal is to escape with your life. Wider swings, more more, and will cover more ground without stopping.

Swords are much better in terms of dealing with multiple opponents in a combat situations. Axes are better used to deal with heavily armoured foes, whereas swords are good at defending and attacking. Axes are poor when it comes to defensive maneuvers. Sandor probably picked up the axe because he lost his sword.

Am I saying Sandor knew his way around an axe? No. Am I saying there is any evidence he was unfamiliar with it as his skill with it and his history hints otherwise? No

What?!? This makes no sense. Vardis clearly knew how to use a sword, thus swords were familiar to him. The particular sword he used versus Bronn may have been unfamiliar to him because he's never used it before, but no more than the axe Sandor used.

I'm sorry, a lance used for jousting is not the same as a combat spear. A lance is a polearm based on the spear. A lance is meant to be used from horseback, gripped with one hand. A spear is more commonly used differently

Why are you even mentioning this? Not once have I discussed the similarities between spears and lances...

Notice Bronn didn't, y'know, meet Balman in a battle of lances, he killed his horse instead.

A lance on horseback is not a combat spear. Poor example

Hahaha. This statement itself owns your own arguments....

Now see, if you could just get over yourself and your hypocritical condescension about discussing the topic, I wouldn't feel compelled to remind you of your own string of repeated personal attacks or the fact that your first-page threadjack and ad hominem attacks got another perfectly fine thread shut down. Change begins from within. If you really want to claim the moral high ground like you've been desperately trying to do, just leave off with the personal shit.

Oh please...anyone can see that you have gone out of your way to attack me in previous threads...especially the old Tyrion thread that got deleted...don't be hilarious. It's been pointed out by other postes numerous times, whereas my reported insults towards you are never mentioned. Grow up already.

Oh please...anyone can see that you have gone out of your way to attack me in previous threads...especially the old Tyrion thread that got deleted...don't be hilarious. It's been pointed out by other postes numerous times, whereas my reported insults towards you are never mentioned. Grow up already.

Not that i want to derail this even further from a Westeros descussion.

But from my POV DanteGabriel has always been a pretty compitant poster and is never really personal in his discussions we don't always agree but he usually has something thoughtful to say. WHere you in the last two threads i've seen have gone into over the top personal battles maybe that's just because you love Bronn soo much but it definately takes away from your argurements, or maybe Lightsnake just brings that out in you.

i've seen this before but its one of my favorite things to talk about. i tried reading all the posts but got a little tired of the tourney for bronn's honor. my list remains unchanged. this list is of those remaining alive so...gregor and sadly oberyn, who would get my vote for #2, are not on this list. i'd have to find the passage, but IIRC correctly, oberyn defeated the mountain with a weapon (spear) that isn't even his weapon of choice (sword). i'll also leave off loras, because its yet to be determined if he is really burned almost to death or if its all a part of my favorite crackpot theory "the grand tyrell conspiracy".

1. barristan selmy

2. sandor clegane

3. areo hotah

4. lyn cobray (corbray?)

5. bronn

6. garlan tyrell

7. bronze yohn

8. strong belwas

9. darkstar

10. victarion greyjoy

The funniest thing about this thread is that the original poster

said he searched and this has never been brought up before, HAHA! :D

Umm, i have many threads about this topic on this board and the old board,

going back 7+ years.

I have statstics from previous tournaments and debates we have had on who

could kick whos a$$ in a fight.

On and On and On...

I have not bothered to read the thread yet becuase i dont have time

at the moment but i will and I will add this to the many previous threads about

the topic on my statstitics.

If anyone wants to REALLY do a search and find the links then your welcome to

becuase i cant be bothered and would like the original poster to have a little lime light :D

Cheers and enjoy the debate :)

The Young Lion

Weaksauce argument. there's plenty of athletes who have never been in the playoffs, superbowl, world series, yet they are considered to be the best of the best. You cannot even remotelely come close to labelling Arya or Dany as a better judge of a man's abilities than Cat unless you are a faboy.

Because Arya and Dany, unlike Cat, have seen lots of real killing and some real battles? Yeah. Sure.

Lay off the attacks mon amie. There are more people who contest that Mushashi's duels were legit than there are who claim otherwise...in addition there is a school of sword combat based on his training of duel wielding...it is an effective method of combat when used by a skilled individual.

Ok. But you say the sword Vardis used was unfamiliar and this is a reason why Bronn won? Why is it unfamiliar? Because he has never used it before right? Well Sandor has never used the particular axe he used at the Red Wedding until the Red Wedding...once again your argument sucks. I am not saying that axes in general are unfamiliar to Sandor, what I am saying is that the specific axe he used at the Red Wedding was unfamiliar because he picked it off the corpse of a dead Frey man at arms...just liket he specific sword that Vardis used was unfamiliar to him during the duel (which is your main argumen against Bronn.).

No, there really aren't. Musashi admitted he ambushed the Yoshioka brothers and he used dirty tactics to defeat Sasaki Kojiro. Moreover, the Japanese swords are more suited to dual wielding. With medieval blades? You need a lot of strength to hold two blades. You need them to be weighted perfectly. And that's assuming you generate enough power per swing....and good luck blocking with them. You'd snap your arm like a twig.

I'm asking you to prove Sandor was unfamiliar to that axe, is that so hard? His usage of it and his past indicate he was familiar with it. You have no proof, no argument. Sorry

Swords are much better in terms of dealing with multiple opponents in a combat situations. Axes are better used to deal with heavily armoured foes, whereas swords are good at defending and attacking. Axes are poor when it comes to defensive maneuvers. Sandor probably picked up the axe because he lost his sword.

Now I know you know nothing of fighting. In a melee situation, axes in a strong arm are better than swords any day. They'll go through armor and flesh more easily, cover more ground and unlike a sword, will still kill or disable an armored foe if the strike doesn't penetrate.

Stop trying to speak for the characters, k? K.

What?!? This makes no sense. Vardis clearly knew how to use a sword, thus swords were familiar to him. The particular sword he used versus Bronn may have been unfamiliar to him because he's never used it before, but no more than the axe Sandor used.

Prove it. Go on, prove the axe was unfamiliar to Sandor and stop your circular reasoning.

Vardis hardly wnated to use a CEREMONIAL SWORD NOT DESIGNED FOR COMBAT WITH A GREAT DIFFERENCE IS USAGE AND WEIGHT from his own.

Will this stupidity stop now? We can wait and see

Why are you even mentioning this? Not once have I discussed the similarities between spears and lances...

Good, so shut up about it. A lance is not a spear

Hahaha. This statement itself owns your own arguments....

Haha! Oh, wait, you're being an absolute moron again:

Bronn killed Balman's horse. In other words: He didn't fight Balman. In other words, he fought a guy of mediocre skill at best and used a trick to beat him. Wow, Bronn is so impressive. What's next: Aerion Targaryen is godly with a lance? Or the guy who killed Beric's horse?

Bronn has something alot of these fighter's lack intelligence that's why Tyrion has such respect for him and deligates such important tasks to him. Jamie, Loras, Gregor, Oberyn, Greatjon, and Sandor none are in his class of intelligence. But skill at arms isn't the same thing.

i'll give you bronn and his intelligence but to group oberyn in with these other guys is a gross misjustice.

Intelligence in fight is called experience,and all of those you mentined have it,so does Bronn.

I agree with this. As far as general intelligence goes, Bronn doesn't show any indication of being inately smarter than Jaime, Sandor, or Loras. He is less of a hot head than Loras, but Loras is still young. I'd say Oberyn is probably the most widely experienced, educated, and probably brightest of the bunch. Gregor and the Greatjon are probably the least bright. Bronn, as lowborn, would be the least intelligent as far as formal education goes and unlike Oberyn, Jaime, Sandor, and Loras (and maybe also Gregor and the Greatjon) is most likely illiterate.

Archived