Best Fighters of Westeros

Aunai

Why on earth would anyone include Jorah in a top 20? He's 'average' and 'capable.' Nothing special at all.

Because he's good at killing. He's been fighting his whole life and his distinguished himself on the battlefield where it counts. Besides, Daario says that he's a very dangerous man and Daario would know fighters because that's his job.

Anyways, who would you suggest are twenty better fighters?

Again: He's described as average and capable. twenty better fighters off the top of my head:

Barristan

Jaime

Garlan

Loras

Gregor

Sandor

Blackfish

Strongboar

Bronn

Khal Drogo

Belwas

Syrio

Jason Mallister

Greatjon Umber

Victarion Greyjoy

Andrik the Unsmiling

Qhorin Halfhand

Darkstar

Areo Hotah

Oberyn Martell

Daario says he's dangerous, yes. And? Being 'dangerous' doesn't mean 'top 20 material', especially if you're only on a capable level in your hometown.

Again: He's described as average and capable.

Well, sort of. When Jorah is describing his victory in the tourney at Lannisport, he tells her that while he "fight as well as any man" he has never been a tourney knight. One can certainly argue that he was referring to his skill with a lance, and not his overall capability as a fighter.

Again: He's described as average and capable. twenty better fighters off the top of my head:

Barristan

Jaime

Garlan

Loras

Gregor

Sandor

Blackfish

Strongboar

Bronn

Khal Drogo

Belwas

Syrio

Jason Mallister

Greatjon Umber

Victarion Greyjoy

Andrik the Unsmiling

Qhorin Halfhand

Darkstar

Areo Hotah

Oberyn Martell

Daario says he's dangerous, yes. And? Being 'dangerous' doesn't mean 'top 20 material', especially if you're only on a capable level in your hometown.

jesus...i didn't even read the post right...nevermind.

I must question putting Darkstar and Blackfish on the list. We know that Blackfish is a great commander, and probably a fair fighter, but there's no indication that he's top 20 material. And we haven't seen Darkstar do anything but attack a little girl, and he failed even to do that properly, botching the job. There's no indication that he's really a competent fighter.

Yeah. When the Prince of Dorne says he's dangerous... well he's dangerous for a Dornishman. Who like real life Hispanics are machos with self-inflated egos. Personally I think he's more probably dangerous to the maidenhoods of Sunspear than to anything else.

To answer the original question I'd say in Westeros itself Loras Tyrell is probably the most skilled knight. Jaime Lannister admits he's afraid of him and would be even if he still had his right hand.

Yeah. When the Prince of Dorne says he's dangerous... well he's dangerous for a Dornishman. Who like real life Hispanics are machos with self-inflated egos. Personally I think he's more probably dangerous to the maidenhoods of Sunspear than to anything else.

To answer the original question I'd say in Westeros itself Loras Tyrell is probably the most skilled knight. Jaime Lannister admits he's afraid of him and would be even if he still had his right hand.

i'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one. loras is no match for a two handed jaime lannister; unless you are talking about jousting.

i'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one. loras is no match for a two handed jaime lannister; unless you are talking about jousting.

I just finished AFFC and I'm sure Jaime disagreed.

He's the best lancer but he's also acknowledged as the best swordsman in the Kingsguard. Cersei says that when she considers choosing a champion. You can talk about other knights, sellswords etc but then it's totally subjective you have no way to compare them to one another.

And yes it all depends on the type of fight. What type of weapons they use, whether they're armored or unarmored, on horseback, if there are any 'knightly' rules etc.

I'm assuming we're talking about the average knightly one-on-one duel to the death.

I just finished AFFC and I'm sure Jaime disagreed.

He's the best lancer but he's also acknowledged as the best swordsman in the Kingsguard. Cersei says that when she considers choosing a champion. You can talk about other knights, sellswords etc but then it's totally subjective you have no way to compare them to one another.

And yes it all depends on the type of fight. What type of weapons they use, whether they're armored or unarmored, on horseback, if there are any 'knightly' rules etc.

I'm assuming we're talking about the average knightly one-on-one duel to the death.

yeah...one on one is what i'm talking about. as it stands now, of course, they are both fractions of what they used to be, but their personal situations aside; in a sword on sword duel, two handed jaime takes unburnt loras.

i'll check AFfC when i get home for the quote you are talking about. i remember that he lauded loras with praise, but not jaime admitting that loras was better than he was in his prime.

This seems pretty racist

Wrong, it's a stereotype... Sometimes they're useful. Do you get upset every time you hear a stereotype?

i'll check AFfC when i get home for the quote you are talking about. i remember that he lauded loras with praise, but not jaime admitting that loras was better than he was in his prime.

I didn't say in his prime. I meant Jaime at his current age toward the end of FFC if he hadn't been thrown in a dungeon would still be challenged by Loras Tyrell.

But you're right when you bring up him being burned. If we're talking about the characters at the very end of FFC/DWD then obviously both of them are out.

Well, sort of. When Jorah is describing his victory in the tourney at Lannisport, he tells her that while he "fight as well as any man" he has never been a tourney knight. One can certainly argue that he was referring to his skill with a lance, and not his overall capability as a fighter.

Jorah is said to be 'capable, but not exceptional.' I would most certainly argue that was a textbook example of how a lady's favor on your arm affects your ability.

Also, Loras admits Garlan is a superior swordsman to him

Jorah is said to be 'capable, but not exceptional.'

Where does it say that? All I ever read suggests that Ser Jorah was always respected for his prowess with a blade, even among Dothraki who mock people who fight with armour.

And I would say Ser Jorah is as good as half the guys you listed.

Actually, the Dornish have a reputation for being dangerous. & let's not forget the little fact that they were never conquered & have held their own against the Reach, which has a much bigger army. Hell, they defeated Aegon the Conquerer!

Where does it say that? All I ever read suggests that Ser Jorah was always respected for his prowess with a blade, even among Dothraki who mock people who fight with armour.

And I would say Ser Jorah is as good as half the guys you listed.

I would say you're dead wrong. Jorah's victories are against eastern fighters mainly and one good showing in a tournament....that's a whole 'nother ball game.

I couldn't give you the exact passage, but I distinctly recall it, btw

Actually, the Dornish have a reputation for being dangerous. & let's not forget the little fact that they were never conquered & have held their own against the Reach, which has a much bigger army. Hell, they defeated Aegon the Conquerer!

[drunk post]

i'm totally with you on that Jes... :cheers:

how about everyone ask gregor clegane if he thinks the dornish are dangerous...

doran is going to prove me right in the end as well...MWUAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!11!!![/drunk post]

Archived