Eddard lives!

Reestlord

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As much as I don't want Ned to come back, the OP made a good argument. I can see where they got the points from. Clearly, Ned hasn't come back in ADWD, unless I missed a massive part of the book, but it's always fun to hash out some crackpot theories.

Just found it a bit funny that someone posted about baby Aegon not being dead at the beginning of this thread, and how sick they were of hearing such theories.. heh.

As much as I don't want Ned to come back, the OP made a good argument. I can see where they got the points from. Clearly, Ned hasn't come back in ADWD, unless I missed a massive part of the book, but it's always fun to hash out some crackpot theories.

Just found it a bit funny that someone posted about baby Aegon not being dead at the beginning of this thread, and how sick they were of hearing such theories.. heh.

Eh, the argument was reaching at straws. It made all the deniers (those who think he is really dead) have to prove a bunch of negatives

Eh, the argument was reaching at straws. It made all the deniers (those who think he is really dead) have to prove a bunch of negatives

I was actually impressed at their first post, for how much information they'd gleaned for a theory that not a lot of people believe in. It takes balls to shout about your crackpot theories, we gotta give him that. Truth be told, when I first read AGOT I did spend quite a lot of time looking for clues that Ned wasn't actually dead, but acceptance soon came [insert 'okay face' here].

• 1 month later...

Speaking of Eddard, I was re-reading and got to thinking. Why is he so like a Stark? He didn't grow up at Winterfell, no one talks about his parents (or his father, more pointedly.) If anything, Eddard should act more like an Arryn than anything. Unless Westeros just skews far more to "nature" than "nurture."

Speaking of Eddard, I was re-reading and got to thinking. Why is he so like a Stark? He didn't grow up at Winterfell, no one talks about his parents (or his father, more pointedly.) If anything, Eddard should act more like an Arryn than anything. Unless Westeros just skews far more to "nature" than "nurture."

Why, he does act like Jon Arryn a lot . And BRandon was supposed to be a badass, Old kings of winter killed young boys they held as hostages and then there is "Ice Eyes" Stark

Maybe Eddard's role model really is Jon rather than Rickard.

Lets stay on topic, folks.

Just to look at the OP's question from a perspective outside the books: GRRM has personally and repeatedly cited Ned's execution as the moment that proved he was "playing for keeps" and that well-liked, central characters were not necessarily safe. It's one thing to then go on in the course of the series and provide the occasional fake-out or to resurrect someone as a horrific spirit of vengeance... but he staked a lot on noting the importance of Ned's execution as a fundamental part of the series.

To then back track and say, "Just kidding!" about Ned is simply untenable. So, for that -- and for all the other reasons cited in the thread -- I think we'll just have to accept that Ned's dead.

I know that things that happen on the TV series can't actually be counted at completely true within the realm of the books...

But, if you watch Eddard's beheading, at the EXACT SECOND that his head is cut off, the camera points at the sky to show a flock of birds taking flight...

read into that what you will, but does Eddard have a role to play later on in the skin of a bird? Is he going to communicate to Bran?

I know that things that happen on the TV series can't actually be counted at completely true within the realm of the books...

But, if you watch Eddard's beheading, at the EXACT SECOND that his head is cut off, the camera points at the sky to show a flock of birds taking flight...

read into that what you will, but does Eddard have a role to play later on in the skin of a bird? Is he going to communicate to Bran?

I'm quoting my post here to bump this thread.

I was wondering if anybody else that saw the show noticed the intentional effort on the part of the producers to show a flock of birds taking flight the exact second that Ned's head hits the ground.

I think that it is entirely possible that all Starks, including Ned have the ability to warg. It isnt that much of a stretch considering that all of his children are wargs. I think it has something to do with the strong blood of the First Men that is strong i the Stark family.

I plan on pulling out the book today and look if the show is actually staying true to the book in this scene.

If the book mentions the flock of birds, then I will have no choice but to take notice of a possible meaning to it. Why else would it be mentioned?

I think that it would be bad writing for Ned to come back as himself, but I do think that it would be cool if he is living his "second life" as one of the birds, and that he will have something important that he wants to communicate.

Jons's parents?... Or maybe a warning to his children about something Varys might have told him while he was in the dungeon?

I'm quoting my post here to bump this thread.

I was wondering if anybody else that saw the show noticed the intentional effort on the part of the producers to show a flock of birds taking flight the exact second that Ned's head hits the ground.

I think that it is entirely possible that all Starks, including Ned have the ability to warg. It isnt that much of a stretch considering that all of his children are wargs. I think it has something to do with the strong blood of the First Men that is strong i the Stark family.

A flock of birds flying away at a critical moment is not something specific to Ned being beheaded - it is done for dramatic effect in many instances in TV shows and movies when a shot rings out, a scream, etc.

GRRM has confirmed that all of the Stark children are to greater or lesser extents wargs - their parents, not so much.

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

A flock of birds flying away at a critical moment is not something specific to Ned being beheaded - it is done for dramatic effect in many instances in TV shows and movies when a shot rings out, a scream, etc.

GRRM has confirmed that all of the Stark children are to greater or lesser extents wargs - their parents, not so much.

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

Fair enough. But GRRM could also be blowing smoke up our asses in order to keep his surprise a secret.

How shocked would we be when we open up TWOW, and the first chapter has.... Eddard's name at the top for the POV.

Fair enough. But GRRM could also be blowing smoke up our asses in order to keep his surprise a secret.

How shocked would we be when we open up TWOW, and the first chapter has.... Eddard's name at the top for the POV.

I can see a prologue at the Tower of Joy. That's about the only way I ever want to see Ned again in the story.

Archived