WoW

RaceBannon42

Found this:

Washington Post article mentioning WOW

In World of Warcraft, the most popular online game, with an estimated 8 million participants worldwide, some regions of this fantasy domain have grown so lawless that players said they fear to brave them alone. Gangs of animated characters have repeatedly preyed upon lone travelers, killing them and making off with their virtual belongings.

Anybody actually seen that latter thing? Yeah, on PVP realms, it's a matter of risk to go into certain regions alone, but making off with belongings? Last I heard, there wasn't any character-character theft in the game.

I don't think that is possible. Closest thing I can think of is taking herb or mineral nodes that someone was about to gather. Or chests. Or mobs, I suppose. But they can't take something you already had, only something you were about to get.

A Washington Post front page reporter tries to write about MMORPGs and turns out to not really have any idea what he's talking about? SHOCKER. (Not to knock on WaPo specifically, I doubt any newspaper would fare much better.)

Found this:

Washington Post article mentioning WOW

In World of Warcraft, the most popular online game, with an estimated 8 million participants worldwide, some regions of this fantasy domain have grown so lawless that players said they fear to brave them alone. Gangs of animated characters have repeatedly preyed upon lone travelers, killing them and making off with their virtual belongings.

Anybody actually seen that latter thing? Yeah, on PVP realms, it's a matter of risk to go into certain regions alone, but making off with belongings? Last I heard, there wasn't any character-character theft in the game.

I never played it, but appearently you could loot players you killed in pvp in Ultima online

There definitely have been MMOs where you could loot people you killed. Even Diablo had something of that; if you were killed by mobs, you dropped pretty much everything and someone else could pick it up before you got back (or, before Diablo 2, you could flat out lose an item because you couldn't find it via mouseover on the ground), and if you were killed by a player you dropped half your gold. WoW definitely has none of that, though killing people for mineral nodes at least used to be common. Part of why nearly every CGF was a hunter or rogue, I think. "Oh no, someone has entered my farming area. Aggro bunch of stuff, run over him, vanish/feign, and hope he dies."

Quite happy I'm on a PvE server, all told.

Hit up heroic Botanica last night. I think it's the last heroic for us to try at all; there are some we haven't finished, like Black Morass, Arcatraz, and Shadow Labyrinth, but... no, I haven't been to heroic Shattered Halls yet. It was surprisingly easy, actually. Aside from the satyr boss, who slaughtered us mercilessly. And the final boss I suspect we could not have handled without having two healers. Well, also the first boss is probably flat out impossible without a priest or paladin. She stacks an arcane resonance debuff, boosting arcane damage taken by 1,200 per stack. I dread to think what a hit from her arcane damage attack would do with that stacked up. And it's a magic debuff.

Drops were garbage, though.

While doing this, I also messed around with an old addon that was discontinued but I still use, called CombatMonitor. It tracks all incoming damage, and segregates it by mob name, breaking it down pretty nicely. It has some sort of bug which had introduced a bad entry in its data (a name of 200, rather than "Sunfury Slayer", or some such), and that caused it to fail to list the various NPCs in its database. I ended up clearing up the data, and I'll be making a change to try and prevent that from ever happening again. Also trying to hack it to identify if you're in a heroic, so as to not corrupt data with normal mode and heroic mode mixing.

In World of Warcraft, the most popular online game, with an estimated 8 million participants worldwide, some regions of this fantasy domain have grown so lawless that players said they fear to brave them alone. Gangs of animated characters have repeatedly preyed upon lone travelers, killing them and making off with their virtual belongings

I would love to meet his source for this. The writer probably looked around his office and was like "does anybody know anything about world of warcraft?", and then somebody who hates him or was messing with him gave him this load of crap. That is so hilarious.

In other news, I miss my druid, sold him two weeks ago for $600 :(.

I don't think that is possible. Closest thing I can think of is taking herb or mineral nodes that someone was about to gather. Or chests. Or mobs, I suppose. But they can't take something you already had, only something you were about to get.

I used to do stuff like this with my rogue, pretty much the only way to decently grief people in WoW. Sap, mine, mine, vanish, re-sap, finish the mine, then kill. I was so upset when they got rid of item damage from PVP death back in beta, that was the ONLY PVP consequence the game had, and they took even that away. Which is why I now play EVE, and have high hopes for Darkfall when/if it ever comes out.

I used to do stuff like this with my rogue, pretty much the only way to decently grief people in WoW. Sap, mine, mine, vanish, re-sap, finish the mine, then kill. I was so upset when they got rid of item damage from PVP death back in beta, that was the ONLY PVP consequence the game had, and they took even that away. Which is why I now play EVE, and have high hopes for Darkfall when/if it ever comes out.

Well if it makes you feel better you can just give a way a few gold everytime you get ganked to simulate repair costs.

Somehow I dont think there would be many people in BGs if there was a 10- 20 gold repair bill waiting them at the end. Arenas would be pretty sparse too.

Node stealing pisses me off and I'm not even a miner. That's a dick move IMO.

Well if it makes you feel better you can just give a way a few gold everytime you get ganked to simulate repair costs.

Somehow I dont think there would be many people in BGs if there was a 10- 20 gold repair bill waiting them at the end. Arenas would be pretty sparse too.

Node stealing pisses me off and I'm not even a miner. That's a dick move IMO.

Well, I could see it being removed from BG's and Arena play. Keep in mind that neither of these were in existence when the game started, it was all world PVP, and city raids crashing servers, or at least continents :P

As for jacking nodes being a dick move, I would never do it to my own side (though it has happened to me more than once, alwaysmade me wish for a true FFA server)... but red = dead my friend, not happy happy joy joy. If I'd wanted to hold hands I wouldn't have been on a PVP server.

If you were a Red player on Asheron's Call - you could loot people you killed in PVP.

When your character died (PvE or PvP) you droped some of the items in your inventory as incentive for you to go back and get your body.

If things were bad and you went into a 'vitae spiral' of multiple deaths - you could end up naked running out to find your corpses.

To try to get around this, experienced players carried 'death items' that were either high value or 'likely' to drop if/when they died. That way, more important items like armor or weapons would have better chances of staying in their inventory.

Hubby's mage couldn't keep shoes if he died. Super expensive gems and wands in his bags, but he'd lose his 200 pyral shoes every time. Even got to the point he'd carry multiple pairs -- all of them would drop, :rolleyes:

Even his bunny slippers, :P

If you were a Red player on Asheron's Call - you could loot people you killed in PVP.

When your character died (PvE or PvP) you droped some of the items in your inventory as incentive for you to go back and get your body.

If things were bad and you went into a 'vitae spiral' of multiple deaths - you could end up naked running out to find your corpses.

To try to get around this, experienced players carried 'death items' that were either high value or 'likely' to drop if/when they died. That way, more important items like armor or weapons would have better chances of staying in their inventory.

Hubby's mage couldn't keep shoes if he died. Super expensive gems and wands in his bags, but he'd lose his 200 pyral shoes every time. Even got to the point he'd carry multiple pairs -- all of them would drop, :rolleyes:

Even his bunny slippers, :P

I miss AC :(

Maybe I really am a carebear, and I'm definitely happy to be on a PvE server, but to me it'd be more than enough griefing of someone to just kill them over and over such that they can't accomplish anything, without also making them lose stuff they already had. But I do not want to start a PvE vs. PvP or griefer vs. carebear discussion. Those tend to just be flamewars and a waste of time.

Node stealing, however, is the greatest sin in existence on a PvE server. Of course, it's not always apparent whether someone killing an ogre is clearing the node or not... sadly I generally have to try and stand on top of the mining node to make my intent clear. And yes, people do sometimes steal the node then. Other times, well, I can't fairly say someone stole my vein if I didn't have a clear and obvious claim to it; if I'm killing an ogre near a vein, I might or might not be there to get the ore. I might be farming reputation or cash or cloth or a smithing pattern... so while it annoys me, I don't let it make me flip out.

My policy to avoid stealing is that if I see anyone fighting near enough a node that they're clearing something that would aggro, I wait to see if they're going to mine it. If they do, I fly away. If they don't, I take it.

Cross-faction... it depends on my mood whether I give them a chance at the node or just take it. Same faction, they get the chance unless I recognize them as someone I dislike.

Dropped two stacks of adamantite ore on my AH alt last night. And only racked up one eternium ore while doing so. Well, I haven't progressed at all on the last three nether, so it's no rush.

I miss AC :(

We do too, :( we swear that we would go back if they updated it to AC2 graphics.

We were on Morningthaw, based out of Baishi (Gods, I loved that town :cry: ).

Did enough PvP to actually get a lvl 70 PvP piece, the veteran's belt. Gave me a little stamina boost and some resilience, which had had none of before.

PvPing with 7.8k HP in PvP gear is...painful to say the least. Mages crit me for 5.6k with pyroblast and the insta cast fireblast for 1.5k. Ugh. Warriors white hit me for 1.6k, over and over again, not to mention the funky executes, overpower and other totally OP moves mortal strike warriors have. Plus ofc, when they charge me, they can take off about 60% of my HP before I can even get a freezing trap down. They parry, dodge or block around 75% of my wingclip but I NEVER parry or dodge their bloody hamstrings or whatever other horrible things they put on me. Tbh, fire mages and warriors are THE most OP classes in PvP at the moment. Even rogues aren't that bad. Sure, I normally lose to rogues, but not even a pretty decent rogue can take of half my health in that extremely short amount of time.

Well, for some reason WSG was less painful than I remembered, and AB and (sometimes) AV more so. Could possibly be cos I remember WSG as being EXTREMELY painful.

Still a long way to go before I have a semi-decent PvP set, but I have a few duplicate pieces of gear I could get stamina gems in.

The trap nerf is really shite in PvP. I think currently, hunters are among the weaker classes in PvP due to the deadzone and lack of ways of getting to range. Of course, with imba gear you can still do well, but against people who know what they're doing, you will have a really hard time.

Also, interestingly, Bestial Wrath is supposed to make you immune to stuns and slows, BUT impact procs still slow you, and shamans frost shock does the same. Now, since I rarely get forst shocked enough to really care, but I get impacted a million times each BG, can I just say how utterly ridiculous impact is? It's so OP it's actually funny. It procs of anything and procs ALL the time, even off molten armour, which is very hard on melee classes. I've seen an AFK mage take off half a rogue's health while he killed it, plus stunning him with the impact procs.

Did enough PvP to actually get a lvl 70 PvP piece, the veteran's belt. Gave me a little stamina boost and some resilience, which had had none of before.

PvPing with 7.8k HP in PvP gear is...painful to say the least. Mages crit me for 5.6k with pyroblast and the insta cast fireblast for 1.5k. Ugh. Warriors white hit me for 1.6k, over and over again, not to mention the funky executes, overpower and other totally OP moves mortal strike warriors have. Plus ofc, when they charge me, they can take off about 60% of my HP before I can even get a freezing trap down. They parry, dodge or block around 75% of my wingclip but I NEVER parry or dodge their bloody hamstrings or whatever other horrible things they put on me. Tbh, fire mages and warriors are THE most OP classes in PvP at the moment. Even rogues aren't that bad. Sure, I normally lose to rogues, but not even a pretty decent rogue can take of half my health in that extremely short amount of time.

Well, for some reason WSG was less painful than I remembered, and AB and (sometimes) AV more so. Could possibly be cos I remember WSG as being EXTREMELY painful.

I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to die... A lot. If I get out of a BG with only a few more deaths that kills I count it a success.

I need 10 more AB marks for my raptor , and about 2k honor for the pvp axe or mace. Probably grind that out this weekend.

Damage shields always have and always will own rogues.

Fire mages and MS warriors are probably the bursty-iest damage classes out there, in terms of controllable bursts, though I tend to hate warlocks at least as much. Even with a PvP trinket and Cloak of Shadows, they can generally get me chain-feared.

All I did last night was run my shaman around to pick up all the capitals. D-girls are hawt. Also the run through Wetlands killed me more than I remember it doing so. But now I can get wherever, and I've got the ability to use axes, daggers, and fist weapons should I get some.

Oh, I put up a couple days worth of accumulated auction items. If they all sell, it should pretty much finance the rest of my primal mana needs. And the shaman's copper ore is worth 2 gold. Seriously, for a stack.

I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to die... A lot. If I get out of a BG with only a few more deaths that kills I count it a success.

I need 10 more AB marks for my raptor , and about 2k honor for the pvp axe or mace. Probably grind that out this weekend.

Yeah you die a lot, for sure, but I've grinded my way up the PvP ladder on this char before and have a few matches under my belt. At level 60 I ended up feeling quite good about PvP (except WSG *vomits*) but now....ugh. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I feel I know my character quite well now, and I do worse than I used to. I am more epixed out than I was at 60 and feel far more fragile, with lower burst damage and crappier CC.

Fire mages and MS warriors are probably the bursty-iest damage classes out there, in terms of controllable bursts, though I tend to hate warlocks at least as much. Even with a PvP trinket and Cloak of Shadows, they can generally get me chain-feared.

Heh, they normally dont bother fearing me, just dot me up, LOLcoil and draintank me to death. I actually prefer fearing since it normally makes me run to range. Draintanking can be done in the deadzone quite comfortably. Not to mention the horrible, horrible felguards.

I suppose UD rogues have an easier time with locks really, due to both trinket and WotF. When both are blown, the diminishing returns should kick in for real.

Of course, as a rogue, I reserve a special place in my heart for hating hunters. Though I can't imagine how the level 70 methods of high hunter damage are supposed to work in PvP at all; the inability to stand still and go through a shot rotation is probably the crippling thing for a hunter. Since I don't have the talent that increases Sap range (and yes, I've heard a lot of whining from a couple of people about that), I really can't open up on a hunter without being caught, and probably also trapped. Of course, when locks fear me, it means I'm taken out of range. The felguards don't bother me that much, actually, probably because the damage of a destro lock or the infinite DoT damage of an affliction lock scares me more.

There've only been two times I didn't die a lot in PvP. One was in AV, when I was a little jerk hanging at the back of the defensive line (I'd go and gank someone if I saw an opportunity, but otherwise I soaked up honor and reputation, staying alive). The other was in AB, when I was stealthing around too slowly to get to anywhere to die. Ok, it happened some in WSG, normally when I was on defense and nobody was attacking us. But otherwise, far more deaths than kills.

Phel,

If open up on a hunter, and he traps you, you can trinket out of trap and then use "Deadly throw" to slow him and get in range, i.e. game over for the hunter, unless he has the bestial wrath talent and intimidation, then it can get ugly. Maybe. But if you vanish and wait 15 sec, you can start over again, and will have blown all his CDs = an easy kill.

Archived