Newcomb: Episode Two

Daedalus V2.0

Well, I visited my library today, to... erm... well, I was ordering in the Warrior Prophet. So sue me. While I was there I stopped by the hardcover section and sure enough, there was The Scrolls of the Ancients, staring me in the face. This is where my rant on the state of modern literature enters. You see, my library is remarkably well, if strangely (see, we have book 1 and 3 of Tad William's Otherland, but not 2 and 4...) with SF/Fantasy books. We also seem to have complete collections of both the Duke and the Yeard, fully in hardcover. Now then, imagine my frustration when we fail to ever have any new, decent books in. Abercrombie? Nope. Sanderson? Still no. Bakker? Noperinos. We have no Erikson, no Lynch, our Martin collection is limited to AGoT. Of course, we do have nothing books by nobodies, lots and lots of garbage, a million books by Salvatore, 40 Dragonlance, and so on and so on. It's really sad that all we get is the trash and the unknowns ( Asimov and Hobb seem to get passes, since we happen to have every single book by both, same with Naiomi Novik's series.). What's the point of this? Well, I don't understand how a library can unfailingly have copies of every piece of literary crap out there, but fail virtually every time to have copies of decent work, especially when that work is new. It really annoys me.

Anyways, thanks for listening, expect new Newcomb stuff within 2 weeks.

That totally sucks Daedalus.

My guess would be that whoever buys the scifi/fantasy stuff for your library either doesn't read in the genre or believes the common stereotypes about it, namely that everything is crap so they only buy the crap. It's possible there's also budget considerations too. The publishers probably push the crap books as much as they can in order to get rid so they may get special deals for buying every Goodkind in hardback.

• 3 months later...

Holy wow! I totally missed out, then.

I made it through The Fifth Soceress a few years ago. I saw all the warts and thought, 'Well, he's probably learned his lesson. It's not a great book but it's a first.' Then I started reading number 2. When he had his little private nickname for his sister and he kept with it even though Wigg disapproved... yeugh. I had to stop reading. You have way more intestinal fortitude than I do. That's for sure.

And still, I feel like less of a man for never having finished it...

Archived