American Idol

RedSock in Westeros

I'm really, really unimpressed with the girls. Carly's very talented, and pretty entertaining, but I don't know if the "scandal," will be too much for her to get by.

Musta missed something... what scandal are you referring to?

I put it in quotes because its really not that big of a deal when you consider how many professional or semi-professional singers make the line-up every year, but I was referring to the fact that there was a bit of a dust-up over her having held a major-label record contract before when she was younger.

Her career tanked before it ever even began, and she's using American Idol as a second chance. I don't have a problem with it, but there were some websters making a really big deal of it.

Ok broke down and watched the girls online.

Alaina: Not bad, but not great

Alexandria: more blah....

Amanda: WHOA! that was um...... different. I love that song, and she had a few moments where she did it justice, but there were more moments when you went WTF! She should have done some Blood, Sweat and Tears rather than Kansas.

Asia'h: Boy she fell apart.

Brooke: Is she Carley Simon's clone? Nailed the performance, but didn't help with being type casted.

Carly: WOW!.... now that was impressive. She is going to be hard to beat.

Kady: ouch, that was a little painful to listen to. And I kept expecting her to take a header coming down those stairs.

Kristy: I agree she is super hott :drool: She wasn't bad, she has moments where the potential is there. If she makes it, she maybe one of those that grows through out the show.

Ramiele: a little off.... and more blah

Syesha: A pretty good performance. She should be safe.

Based on what I saw, Asia'h and Kady should be gone. But the only people that I would be suprised to leave would by Brooke and Carly. (Who are likely top 6 material)

I put it in quotes because its really not that big of a deal when you consider how many professional or semi-professional singers make the line-up every year, but I was referring to the fact that there was a bit of a dust-up over her having held a major-label record contract before when she was younger.

Her career tanked before it ever even began, and she's using American Idol as a second chance. I don't have a problem with it, but there were some websters making a really big deal of it.

I read some article of MSNBC that there were a few contestants this year that had record contracts and had agents already. But Idols rules are pretty specific, and if they don't feel like its breaking the rules, who are we to argue.

Brooke: Is she Carley Simon's clone? Nailed the performance, but didn't help with being type casted.

But the thing is, she fits that type. I kept thinking she reminded me of a Sheryl Crow, even with the way she bobbed her head and threw side glances.

The radio has always had room for the Carly Simon, Sheryl Crow, Bonnie Raitt, et. al., non-threatening white female singer/songwriter type, so it's not like it's a terrible thing to get typecast when it's fairly accurate.

It could hurt when they do disco night or diva ballad night, but I think she'll hang in there on pure pleasantness if anything.

Besides, she's my crush. Y'all keep away from her, you hear me?

But the thing is, she fits that type. I kept thinking she reminded me of a Sheryl Crow, even with the way she bobbed her head and threw side glances.

The radio has always had room for the Carly Simon, Sheryl Crow, Bonnie Raitt, et. al., non-threatening white female singer/songwriter type, so it's not like it's a terrible thing to get typecast when it's fairly accurate.

It could hurt when they do disco night or diva ballad night, but I think she'll hang in there on pure pleasantness if anything.

Besides, she's my crush. Y'all keep away from her, you hear me?

You do make a good point.

hmmmm..... I do have a thing for blue eyed blonds...... I think you'll have a fight on your hands :)

You do make a good point.

hmmmm..... I do have a thing for blue eyed blonds...... I think you'll have a fight on your hands :)

en garde, swine!

:fence:

Looking back on Idol, being pigeonholed is not a bad thing. Look at Carrie Underwood. Once it was acknowledged she is fit the country music mold, they struck gold with her. Same with Daughtry. As long as contestants who know what they are about kill on the nights they can, and don't screw up royally on nights they have no business singing, they are on track to big things.

Think about Ruben Studdard. He was rolling through the competition, had an image going as the Velvet Teddybear wearing his 205 hockey jerseys and along comes country night. WTF is Ruben going to do on country night??? He belted out an over-the-top almost parody of Sweet Home Alabama that worked for him because he didn't try to be country. He was just Ruben. It didn't hurt that he's from Alabama, either, but knowing when to be outstanding and when to just try to stand out is a big part of this whole deal.

P.S. Brooke, if you're reading the board today, Bormon is a transsexual pederast. Stay away from him. ;)

en garde, swine!

:fence:

Looking back on Idol, being pigeonholed is not a bad thing. Look at Carrie Underwood. Once it was acknowledged she is fit the country music mold, they struck gold with her. Same with Daughtry. As long as contestants who know what they are about kill on the nights they can, and don't screw up royally on nights they have no business singing, they are on track to big things.

Think about Ruben Studdard. He was rolling through the competition, had an image going as the Velvet Teddybear wearing his 205 hockey jerseys and along comes country night. WTF is Ruben going to do on country night??? He belted out an over-the-top almost parody of Sweet Home Alabama that worked for him because he didn't try to be country. He was just Ruben. It didn't hurt that he's from Alabama, either, but knowing when to be outstanding and when to just try to stand out is a big part of this whole deal.

P.S. Brooke, if you're reading the board today, Bormon is a transsexual pederast. Stay away from him. ;)

I AM NOT A TRANSSEXUAL! :uhoh:

:lol:

Once again good point. Which in the end may have been what killed Blake last year.

Leaving the show tonight:

Girls:

Amanda: She sang poorly, but really I think the stylist fucked her over. The average joe watching Idol is going to see that hair and costume and run right the hell away. Whoever the stylist was, doesn't get "rocker chick"...or thinks that their high school play version is it.

Alexandria: She seems to be pretty whatever about her performances and kind of like she's asking to get booted by her post song talk with the judges. She seems a little too combative.

Guys:

Jason Yeager: Yeah, nice aerobics routine you tool.

Luke Menard: Who are you again and why is your picture on the AI website?

YW

Good points Wedge, I find myself nodding my head in agreement with your analysis.

Anyway, read a bit about the Carly Hennessy-Smithson thing and while probably not at all unique it is a pretty interesting story. WSJ even did an article about her several years ago.

The one girl who stood out for me last night was the one who sang "You're So Vain." The arrangement didn't sit quite right with me, but I saw/heard the potential for something I might really like there.

The others, meh, a few good voices among the crowd. I'm not as high on Carly as Simon is, not even close really. I absolutely love Heart, whose songs she has chosen to sing in a few different rounds now, and she's nowhere near Ann Wilson's league. Though Carly and, I think, Ramielle were the only other performances I could recall as being at all interesting a few hours afterwards.

The one girl who stood out for me last night was the one who sang "You're So Vain." The arrangement didn't sit quite right with me, but I saw/heard the potential for something I might really like there.

That's Brooke. You just cast your gaze in another direction, Ender. She's spoken for in this thread.

But keep dialing her number each week, if you will, please. Thank you much.

Well 2 out of 4 aint too bad. Cant say Im sorry to see any of them go.

The season is basically David Archuleta/Carly Smithson's to lose. Though I really cant see anyone getting more votes than the kid...he's got the pre-teen girl vote, the teen girl vote, the mom vote, and the grandma vote.

YW

OK, I've sped past the last lot of posts. In Blighty we're up to the last 20. I'm praying for Danny and Asia'h to get the boot. They both annoy me more that I thought humanly possible!

The young'un - David Archuleta will win. He's got every conceivable vote sewn up. That and he can sing.

N

I could care less about the guys who got the boot. Thank goodness they're gone! But I think the wrong girls left. I think Alaina has a really awesome voice and Alexandra had potential too.

Amanda's voice just annoys the heck out of me and I don't know how many more of her performances I can stand. I thought Kady should have gone also. She had a horrible performance and I don't know why she stayed. People probably like her impersonations or something. :thumbsdown:

Archived