Lies of Locke Lamora

Arthmail

[quote]The Bondsmagi seem ridiculously overpowered, but other than that I thought it was fun.[/quote]

The power of the Bondsmagi is something I really liked about the first book (I haven't read the second, so I don't know how Lynch will proceed there). In so many fantasy books, magic is this huge, God-like force that is often iterated as something that has the potential to destroy the world, if in the hands of someone powerful enough to wield it. We rarely see this sort of power utilized as fully as it may be (unless you're Erikson, in which case that's the only way in which it is utilized...and then negated with commensurate flash and flare).

In LoLL the absolute sense of impotence in being an object of that force is definitely touched on, to the point where Lynch is forced to write some deus ex machina to prevail against them (though it's sad he had to resort to that).

Magic is something that should be potent and capable of evoking dread. If you have a loaded gun pointed at you, you most likely will be frightened. So if you take that notion even further, if you are in the presence of a person who can work a force so powerful and alien that opposition is futile, that fear should be amplified manifold. The person not only has a gun, but its aim is inerrant and inerrantly fatal, he also is using high-pitched noise that incapacitates you and anyone else, and there's nothing that can be done if he chooses to pull the trigger.

What bothers me is that when writers like Erikson exaggerate magic to the point where its just a typicality of life, or the many other writers out there who aren't so blunt, but still manage to dull the potency of magic with its frequency or a "balancing" counteragent.

It was very refreshing to find it in the form it was in LoLL.

I've just finished TLoLL after being reccomended it on these here boards.
It had a bit of a slow start but once it got running it didnt stop right through to the end. I was very impressed.

I didn't even know it was the first of seven planned until I'd finished, so that was a pleasant surprise.

I intend to buy the second book tomorrow. Am I likely to enjoy it as much as the first?

(I'm sure thats been asked before, but I was afraid to read through the thread for fear of spoilers.)

[quote name='Calavera' post='1720384' date='Mar 15 2009, 18.38']I intend to buy the second book tomorrow. Am I likely to enjoy it as much as the first?[/quote]

The general Consensus is that the first book was reasonably better than the second, though i'm one of the (VERY) few who enjoyed the second novel more.

The main thing I liked about the first one, other than the whole heist/con game was just how brutal the characters were.

I was getting a bit sick of books where the "good guys" let the bad guys go or hand them over to the authorities to be dealt with justly.

So it was a wonderful surprise when:

SPOILER: End of book spoiler
Locke cut all of the Bondsmage's fucking fingers off and then cut his tongue out!

So if the second book at least retains some of the above mentioned coolness/brutality, i'll be impressed.

[quote name='Calavera' post='1720384' date='Mar 15 2009, 23.38']I've just finished TLoLL after being reccomended it on these here boards.
It had a bit of a slow start but once it got running it didnt stop right through to the end. I was very impressed.

I didn't even know it was the first of seven planned until I'd finished, so that was a pleasant surprise.

I intend to buy the second book tomorrow. Am I likely to enjoy it as much as the first?

(I'm sure thats been asked before, but I was afraid to read through the thread for fear of spoilers.)[/quote]

If you thought the first was a slow burn, you'll probably find the second one an even slower burn. Then again, when it does get good it is very good. I felt exactly the same way about the first book as you. On the whole the series is still strong.

Archived