Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

Shryke

Weekends are usually the last time I'll be playing a video game.

But really, Mythic needs to give some incentive to RVR. That was the whole point of the game, and it's empty. WoW did BG's good enough, we don't need a whole game to improve on it. I want castles and sieges, and they need to make incentives for people to pick that over scenarios.

Sieges need you to be organised and at least around 3/4 of a full warband to succed as mostly pugs are just not that organised to take one never mind defend for any real length of time against the destro zergarama that comes running when you take it (Only once has the zerg being justified when we stole the leading Destructions guild keep :P)

But what's the point of defending it? You get more experience and renown in 15 minutes of a scenario than you would in 3 hours of defending a keep. It's much easier, and more worthwhile, to let the enemy take the keep, wait for them to leave, then go take it back. And there's no pvp in that, it's just killing pve monsters to get renown.

DAOC had epic battles over keeps and relics. I want more of that.

Here's an idea. Implement the public quest system on sieges. Say you have to kill 100 guards before you can start battering down the door, so anyone who's interested in sieging can just wander over there and group up with other like minded players. Make the guards give twice as much experience as normal monsters to entice people to play over there. Then players will be constantly battling over sieges, although the defenders would need a reason to spend time there as well.

They already have quests to kill people from the other realm in a specific place, just extend that to keeps.

I played scenarios with my Archmage last night. Queue times for Order are hilarious, I'll click on "join queue" for Nordenwatch and 10 seconds later I'm in there. If anyone wants to try out Order, play on Skull Throne, I'll spam my heal button good.

[quote name='OBH' post='1547875' date='Oct 8 2008, 16.25']They already have quests to kill people from the other realm in a specific place, just extend that to keeps.

I played scenarios with my Archmage last night. Queue times for Order are hilarious, I'll click on "join queue" for Nordenwatch and 10 seconds later I'm in there. [b]If anyone wants to try out Order, play on Skull Throne, I'll spam my heal button good.[/b][/quote]
Turns out a friend of my will be playing Destro with his friends on Skull Throne, so that's almost tempting. Thing is, I'd want to move my witch-hunter over, because I put a lot of work into that char. Sucks that you can't do that. I'd be fine with limiting the number of times you do that, but not allowing it at all seems strange.

I've been browsing the WarHammer wiki entries and I'm curious what folks who know more about the game expect in the expansions (yeah, I know, I'm waaaaay early on this sort of speculation)? I'd expect either the reintroduction of removed classes and/or the introduction of a new group on either side. Thing is, I don't particularly see anything new to introduce on the Order side, really. There seem to be a lot more chaotic and independent groups/races that could be introduced.

[quote]Thing is, I don't particularly see anything new to introduce on the Order side, really. There seem to be a lot more chaotic and independent groups/races that could be introduced.[/quote]

Hmmm, yeah, there's Brettonnia of course, but their focus (KNIGHTS!) won't really work I suspect? (are there even mounts in WaR? If not it might be cool for an expansion)

The Lizardmen, while mostly "independent" are also very much Order. (as in, antithesis of Chaos) They're also kind of cool and would add a "Big hulking brute" to the Order side (assuming you can play a Saurus Oldblood)

What other races are there? The two undead sides (that hate each other, kinda) Skavens ofc. for Destruction (the little buggers are beloved) different types of Chaos, and I guess there's always Kislevites, Chaos Dwarves and Ogres.

Wood elves I suppose, but are they different enough to High Elves?

[quote name='Galactus' post='1548169' date='Oct 8 2008, 19.45']Hmmm, yeah, there's Brettonnia of course, but their focus (KNIGHTS!) won't really work I suspect? (are there even mounts in WaR? If not it might be cool for an expansion)

The Lizardmen, while mostly "independent" are also very much Order. (as in, antithesis of Chaos) They're also kind of cool and would add a "Big hulking brute" to the Order side (assuming you can play a Saurus Oldblood)

What other races are there? The two undead sides (that hate each other, kinda) Skavens ofc. for Destruction (the little buggers are beloved) different types of Chaos, and I guess there's always Kislevites, Chaos Dwarves and Ogres.

Wood elves I suppose, but are they different enough to High Elves?[/quote]
Oh, the Lizardmen are Order? I guess it was my mistake to pass them over with the assumption that they are [i]obviously[/i] baddies. :P

I think the Skaven would be nifty, myself. I'd love to be a rat. :P

I'm not terribly interested in introducing another group of humans, though I was musing that if they didn't mind adjusting the Warhammer mythos for the game, they could always say that those independent city-states had formed some sort of alliance to assist the Empire and Co. while firmly maintaining their independence...or something. :dunno: Of course, I'm pretty sure, geographically speaking at the least, that isn't realistic, and I really know jack all about the WarHammer mythos, so there's probably numerous problems with that idea.

If they were interested in a [i]huge[/i] expansion, introducing a third faction, the uh...'neutral' faction(?) might be interesting. I see the Wood Elves as naturally unaligned (I really want to play Wood Elves :P), and you could always use the citi-states as neutral factions as well. And considering its two extreme sides fighting against each other, I can see a lot of folks caring for neither side getting stuck in the middle of their ideological war, playing defense to keep the buggers out.

There's been mention, of course, that Mythic is already working on one or more expansions (it's mentioned but not cited in the Wiki article). Has anyone come across any linkable info on this?

[quote]Oh, the Lizardmen are Order? I guess it was my mistake to pass them over with the assumption that they are obviously baddies.[/quote]

Lizardmen are the descendants (sort of) of the original servants of the Old Ones, who was the original raise that brought humans, elves and dwarves to the Warhammer World on their Silver Ships. Their Stargate broke down, Chaos came in through the remnants, and the Old Ones died or left (it is unclear exactly) the Lizardmen kind of work in extremely slow manner trying to fulfil the Old Ones' designs (which naturally do not include liking Chaos very much) (it should be noted that the Lizardmen are *old*. The Slann-mage priests who rule them are all older than elf or dwarf civilization by quite a while, even their more brutish servants have individuals still alive who remember the days before the original Chaos invasion) they're kind of complicated by the fact that the Slann don't really know what the Old Ones' plans *were* (except for fragments) and in any case aren't most effective at communicating *with each other*. (Hence a Cathayan fleet was struck by two simultaneous typhoons :P)

They are also very much enemies of Skaven and the Undead (the former almost wiped out the Skinks, the smaller lizardmen, with a plague) and their relationships with elves, humans and dwarves can mostly be summed up as trying to manipulate them as long as they don't actually interfere, in which case they'll kill them.

Skaves and Lizardmen do seem to be the most likely races (they both share the jungle-continent of Lustria, well the Skaven Under-Empire is much larger than that, but they do have a foothold) and they hate each other.

[quote]Bretonnians v. Undead,[/quote]

That's another possibility (probably Vampire Counts rather than Tomb Kings then) there's the haunted City of Moussilion for the Undead, and that's in Brettonnia. (Blood Dragon Vampire, Necromancer, Lahmia Vampire?)

[quote]or Woodelves v. Beastmen are all realistic options.[/quote]

Ah, I always forget the Beastmen are their own race nowadays. (and I always forget the Ogres too)

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to thin out the pvp population even more by adding new scenarios and open world rvr. As it is, everything except for empire-chaos is mostly empty. What else could they add with an expansion, though? I wish they'd add in a 3rd side instead of new factions for the existing 2 sides, but that wouldn't work with the way the game is currently designed. I don't want any more pve stuff in an expansion, so I'm not sure where they're going to go with one.

The only thing I've got against Lizardmen that they don't really speak. Aside from skinks and slann, which are the more mentally well developed part of the race. Slann would be overkill since they can wield magic that moves continents. Of course I haven't checked up on the books in a while so it is possible something has changed. Their relation to the other order races could be considered tenuous at best.

It's hard to see future expansion races for this game at times. Bretonnian knights fight pretty much solely from horseback. Undead are controlled either by Vampires (please for the love of god no), and mummies.

However, Skaven would make a good addition to the game. They have a pretty nice variety of clans that could be used as classes. Unfortunately I think some people might be offended by the idea of a wholly male faction.

Yeah, I believe I did this earlier (maybe even in this thread) but it's tough to come up with more Order races:

[b]"Good":[/b]
Bretonnia
Wood Elves (ok, not REALLY, but closer then anything else left after the Bretonnians)

[b]Neutral but sorta good:[/b]
Lizardmen

[b]Evil:[/b]
Tomb Kings
Vampire Counts
Scaven
Chaos Dwarves
Beastmen

Poses a little problem.

[quote name='Dracarys' post='1548902' date='Oct 9 2008, 06.09']Unfortunately I think some people might be offended by the idea of a wholly male faction.[/quote]
Wait, Skaven are all male? Pfffft. Never mind then, not interested.

[quote]Male skaven are workers and warriors. Females are docile and barely intelligent, and spend much of their lives hidden away in the nest to breed. Female skaven typically produce three to five litters a year, each containing 20 or so young.[/quote]

Sounds like your kind of race pots. :P

[quote name='Shryke' post='1548911' date='Oct 9 2008, 00.21']Yeah, I believe I did this earlier (maybe even in this thread) but it's tough to come up with more Order races:[/quote]

Think outside the box!

There's Araby and Cathay. Halflings!

I could even argue that the Tomb Kings belong on the Order side. Sure, they're a bunch of undead, but they believe in ORGANIZATION!

Plus they can always expand their current factions instead of simply adding new ones. There's a ton of stuff for Empire.

Also, the Skaven aren't all male like Orcs, it's just the females, well...aren't suitable for play.

But that could be adjusted.

Well, apparently they have plans to be able to add in all the factions in the game. Or close enough. But that may be old news.

I think they may run into problems with that though. Considering how thinly spread out the population apparently already is, adding a 4th pairing might be a bad idea. They may decide to add more classes to the already existing ones instead.

[quote]Evil:
Tomb Kings[/quote]

I think that's actually debatable. The Tomb Kings are pretty much just pharaoh's raised from the dead (and IIRC the rituals used to revive them are slightly different from the "Corrupt" ones used by Nagash and the Vampires) from the descriptions in the army books they seem to be more or less like any other kings in the WH world, only, you know, not alive any longer.

Archived