NHL 4

TheHoundRules

[quote name='Biter' post='1543237' date='Oct 5 2008, 17.25']East:

[b]Montreal[/b] - Should be solid this season as well.
[b]Pittsburgh[/b] - Some losses during the offseason, I don't expect them to go to the finals this year, but they're still solid
[b]Carolina[/b] - Near misses for two consecutive seasons, will they get back on track?
[b]Philadelphia[/b] - Terrible two seasons ago, great last season. This season I think they'll be in the fight for the division title.
[b]New Jersey[/b] - Marty defines reliability.
[b]Washington[/b] - Will do everything they can to keep their momentum going.
Ottawa - Aside from the big 3, they now have Jason Smith and Jarkko Ruutu.
[b]New York Rangers[/b] - Will have to give their all throughout the season to be here without Jagr.
-----
Boston - Someone has to be ninth, I'm guessing it will be these guys.
[i]Buffalo[/i] - Constantly pretty good, seldom great.
Florida - Vokoun and a solid defense isn't enough to carry that offense.
Tampa Bay - Sure, who doesn't like that offense, but they can't forget about the defensive aspect as much as they seem to have done.
Toronto - If Sundin comes back during the season, expect him to score about a point per game. He always does so, but considering the other forwards they have, it boggles the mind.
Atlanta - Waddell stepping down from the position of coach makes me feel better about them, but they still have problems that they need to deal with.
[i]New York Islanders[/i] - DiPietro will win some games for them, but he's not superhuman.

West:
[b]Detroit[/b] - There are a few things in life that are certain: death, taxes and Detroit constantly being at (or near) the top of the Western Conference.
[b]San Jose[/b] - Let's keep this going all through the playoffs. Right, Mr. Boyle and Mr. Blake?
[b]Calgary[/b] - Kipper will be the difference between winning the NW and not making the playoffs.
Dallas - Were solid last year, have added Avery and Brunnström... might win the Pacific.
Minnesota - "It's a trap!" With their defensive system and some lateral moves during the offseason, I expect them to make the playoffs.
[b]Chicago[/b] - The last time they made the playoffs was in 2002. This should be an entertaining ride.
Phoenix - Sure, Bryz is no Giguere, but it's time for Jokinen to make the playoffs - I believe that about 20 games into the season he'll break the record for most regular season games played without appearing in the playoffs.
Edmonton - I'm not expecting Garon to be that good, but other than that, they should have a good year.
-----
Anaheim - Predicting that a team with Giguere, Pronger and Niedermayer will miss the playoffs can be an indication of insanity. In this case, it's also a case of wishful thinking.
Columbus - Still won't make the playoffs, but I'm expecting Huselius to have a good season.
Colorado - I like Stastny and many of their other players, but that goaltending duo won't impress anyone.
Nashville - Trotz regularly gets blood from a stone, but that just won't be enough this season.
Vancouver - If they didn't have Luongo, people would mention them in the same breath as L.A. (but with less impressive prospects).
St. Louis - Certainly look to be the whipping boy of the Central Division this year.
Los Angeles - Their future looks really bright, just imagine them getting another top 5 draft pick. But getting back into respectability won't happen this season.[/quote]

Seven correct playoff teams in the east, two correct conference placements. Yeah, I just wasn't expecting that scoring depth and overall solid play by the Bruins.

Five correct playoff teams in the west, zero correct conference placements. Terrible, just terrible. And on top of that, my comments about Vancouver and St. Louis... they both sure showed me just how wrong one person can be.

Congrats to Mason (obvious Calder winner), Huselius, Modin and the other BJs for making the playoffs.

If you had told me a month ago that the Blues would make the playoffs, and even get a sixth seed, I would have laughed at you. With those injuries? With that roster? Thanks to the emergence of some youngsters and the other Mason, the tables have now turned.

First round predictions will follow in a later post.

Boston vs. Montreal: [b]Boston in 4[/b] I just don't see the lifeless Habs getting a single win out of it. They didn't during the season, why should they during the playoffs?

Washington vs. Rangers: [b]Rangers in 6[/b] Avery is the X factor here...if he can get under Ovechkin's skin the Caps don't have a chance. Lundqvist will single-handedly steal at least one game.

New Jersey vs. Carolina- [b]NJ in 7[/b] This is a tough series to pick. On one hand, the Canes are playing the 2nd best hockey in the East right now, with Jersey kind of stumbling into the playoffs. I just think Brodeur wins a few games for the Devils and the series plays out as a low-scoring, defensive affair. Which will benefit the Devils.

Pittsburgh vs. Philly: [b]Pittsburgh in 5[/b] The Pens have the best 3rd line in the NHL, Fleury is a playoff goalie (and has done nothing to disprove that), oh yeah...two guys named Malkin and Crosby. Biron is a sieve and the Flyers have a hard time staying out of the box. Earlier in the year, that wouldn't have mattered, but the Pens' PP is starting to click now and will make them pay.

West:

Columbus vs. Detroit: [b]Columbus in 6[/b] I would say it's going to be a CBJ sweep, but Detroit has too much experience for that. However, Hossa has a groin injury, and even if he plays probably won't be 100%.

Vancouver vs. St. Louis: [b]Canucks in 5[/b] Luongo, Luongo, Luongo.

Calgary vs. Chicago: [b]Calgary in 6[/b] On paper, it seems like Chicago would blow by the Flames...but, I wouldn't discount the youth and inexperience that Chicago has.

San Jose vs. Anaheim: [b]San Jose in 4[/b] The Ducks just don't have what it takes to touch the Sharks. Not even a little bit.

Boston vs. Montreal - [b]Boston in 6[/b]. Pretty much the opposite situation of last year's first round. Since the 2008 playoffs a lot of pundits have given Price a hard time, but I think he's capable of stealing at least one game.

Washington vs. New York Rangers - [b]Rangers in 7[/b]. It's a tough call, Washington clearly has the better offense (Rangers doesn't have a single 60 point scorer!) but then there's the Tortorella factor and Lundqvist.

New Jersey vs. Carolina - [b]New Jersey in 6[/b]. Pretty much impossible to call but I like the Devils depth so I favor father Sutter ahead of rookie Sutter.

Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia - [b]Pittsburgh in 5[/b]. It's going to be a battle, there's no doubt about that, but in the end the top 2 Pens forwards and Gonchar on D will be the difference.

San Jose vs. Anaheim - [b]San Jose in 6[/b]. Getzlaf, Perry, Pronger, Nieds, Selänne will cause a lot of trouble, so it's up to McLellan to not let the players lose focus on the game.

Detroit vs. Columbus - [b]Detroit in 5[/b]. Do you think Osgood's slump will be an important factor? Let's not forget that this is the reigning champs with an added Hossa.

Vancouver vs. St. Louis - [b]Vancouver in 4[/b]. Either the Blues peaks too early, or this will be an even matchup. I should probably give up on saying anything about the Blues, since they've constantly been proving me wrong this year.

Chicago vs. Calgary - [b]Chicago in 7[/b]. It's easy to forget about the lack of experience on the Blackhawks sqaud and the fact that Iggy always steps it up in the playoffs, but the injuries will be too significant for the Flames.

East:

Boston vs. Montreal- Boston in 5

Washington vs. Rangers: Capitols in 6.

New Jersey vs. Carolina- Carolina in 5.

Pittsburgh vs. Philly: Pittsburgh in 6

West:

Columbus vs. Detroit: Detroit in 6

Vancouver vs. St. Louis: Vancouver in 5

Calgary vs. Chicago: Chicago in 7

San Jose vs. Anaheim: San Jose in 6.

I had mentioned a playoff pick 'em before, so if everyone wants I can put together the picks that have already been put out there and any others posted before game time tomorrow and keep track of the numbers. I think its easiest to just pick each round, since the re-seeding makes a bracket (a) difficult and (b) not much fun in a hurry.

5 pts for each correct series and a bonus pt. for number of games sound fair?

As a small disclaimer, having won the NCAA bracket I'm sure that my mojo is busted and these will all blow up in my face despite knowing a lot more about hockey than I do about hoops.

[u][b]Eastern Conference[/b][/u]

[b]Bruins - Canadiens[/b]

I'm not a fan of Original Six teams playing this early...it means I don't have two easy choices for who to root for in separate series instead. There's something that's really hard to buy into when it comes to Boston. Its appeared that they were ready to make the leap into the NHL elite a few times in the past, and something always jumps up to bite them before it can happen. This year's tragic Montreal club just don't have it in them to stop the B's in the first round, though, especially with all the question marks on defence. The rivalry between the clubs will make the series competitive, but Boston's moving on. [b]Boston in 6.[/b]

[b]Capitals - Rangers[/b]

As entertaining as it is to watch the Caps fly all over the place during the regular season, I don't know that their style plays out very well in a playoff setting. Combine that with a goalie whose been a bit suspect this year and a lot suspect in his career, and I don't think Washington is in for a very long run. I hope I'm wrong, since I think every Ovechkin game on national TV is a good thing for the league, but this might be the only series they win since the Rangers don't look to have enough talent beyond Lundqvist to take advantage of Washington's defensive issues. [b]Capitals in 7[/b]

[b]Devils - Hurricanes[/b]

I'm breaking one of my own rules in going with an inferior goaltender on this one, as well as picking against my wife's cousin at my own peril, but the Hurricanes have been so amazingly good since getting Cole and Cullen back that I don't see them stopping this early. The aging playoff experience that New Jersey brings doesn't look to be enough to stop a fast, hungry Carolina team. [b]Carolina in 7[/b]

[b]Penguins - Flyers[/b]

Unfortunately for the leagues' whiniest star (hey, don't look at me. The players voted him into that position with 52% percent of the vote when their choices were [i]anyone in the league.[/i] It's not even like it was multiple choice...) things didn't go the way Crosby or the Pens would have envisioned after last year's cup run. The few times I saw Pittsburgh play they seemed very easy to play against. What I mean by that is that there wasn't much edge to their game. They weren't making people pay a physical price or outwork them in the corners. A few analysts say that edge has returned to their game and is a major reason for their push into the playoffs after floundering for so long. I'll take them at their word, and because I like them on the back end a lot more than Philly. [b]Penguins in 6.[/b]

[u][b]Western Conference[/b][/u]

[b]Sharks - Ducks[/b]

In my 'root for a bus crash,' series two of my least favorite teams in the league go at it. Thanks to a change at the top and a new puck-possession, skill-based game plan from Todd McLellan has the Sharks evolving from the neanderthal hockey of the past into an entertaining, scary hockey team. Unfortunately for them, the Ducks seem to have remembered that they don't suck in the past few weeks, finishing 10-2-1 down the stretch, and one of the best finishes in the league means they'll be an awfully hot team coming out of the gate. Whoever punches the other team in the mouth first - maybe literally - is likely to win a rough and tumble series. Add that to the preexisting hatred between these two clubs and I think this should be the series to watch in the first round. Unfortunately, all the games will take place past my bedtime. [b]San Jose in 7[/b]

[b]
Redwings - Blue Jackets[/b]

A lot of people are jumping on what they see as blood in the water, specifically that oozing from Chris Osgood's career, but there's still way too much talent on what can easily be considered the most talented roster in the league. If the malaise of the past few weeks doesn't clear in a hurry the Wings could be in trouble against a hungry Columbus team, but the experience and talent favor Detroit so heavily that I can't pick against them. [b]Detroit in 5. [/b]

[b]Canucks - Blues[/b]

This is a really tough one to pick. Both teams were amazing the last few months of the season, and neither shows a big edge over the other in talent. As good as Chris Mason has been in net since taking over for Manny Legace, I still think Luongo is better. That's what I think decides this series.[b] Vancouver in 7.[/b]

[b]Blackhawks - Flames[/b]

After an end to their season that made their moniker more of an irony than a team name, the Fizzles went from being a team that could have gone all the way to one that doesn't look like it has enough gas left to make it out of the first round. Here ends all fire puns. The Blackhawks have looked very good of late, with their young stars really coming into their own this year. Their lack of experience in this part of the season will probably cause some hiccups, but it shouldn't be anything Khabibulin can't help them weather. There's a decent change that an early loss could spark Calgary to remember who they are, but if watching the Northwest slip away didn't trigger anything than I don't see it happening now. [b]Chicago in 6.[/b]

The only first round predictions that [i]really[/i] matter are in (Sorry, everyone else, but it's difficult to argue with that 40-35 track record). That's right, Maggie the Macaque [url="http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11809"]is back[/url] with her final year before retiring.

[b]Boston[/b] over Montreal
[b]New York Rangers[/b] over Washington
[b]New Jersey[/b] over Carolina
[b]Philadelphia[/b] over Pittsburgh

[b]San Jose[/b] over Anaheim
[b]Columbus[/b] over Detroit
[b]Vancouver[/b] over St. Louis
[b]Calgary[/b] over Chicago

The only unanimous picks among TSN's panel of experts were Boston and San Jose. Maggie disagreed with the rest of the panel on four of the series, picking the Rangers (goaltending issues?), Philly (pressure of matching last years performance for the Pens?), Columbus (enthusiasm vs. routine?) and Calgary (experience as a deciding factor?).

Maggie will now be an honorary member of the contest with the other bird brains who picked Detroit to go down.

Sorry...that's just too easy. :leer:

Honestly, its not like Columbus winning couldn't happen - the same thing happened to Detroit in '06 with the same seeding I think - but it sure as hell [i]shouldn't[/i], and its going to take a ton of unlikely things falling in the BJ's favor. Total Stanley Cup rings in the series? 44 for Detroit, 3 for Columbus.

To update the Wings injuries, Hossa is a go for game 1, Draper is out with a minor groin pull, and Cleary may take an extra game of rest for an injury sustained in practice. Lilja is still out from having his brain burst in an ill-advised fight vs. Nashville, but Jon Ericsson has played really well and needed an opening to crack the lineup anyway.

I live right across the river from Sarnia. From a hockey standpoint, I'm cheating.

A quick note on the 'number of games,' thing: I hate it. Extremely competitive series can end at 6 or even 5 games if the bounces stack up, but I still pick 7 despite the fact that 7 games series seem to be pretty rare in actuality.

Ugh...

I hate not living in Canada. VS. is only covering the Pens game tonight, which I get on the local channel anyway...

The girlfriend wants to watch her Rangers game (I do, as well, in addition)...grr...

I'm glad to see so many of you picking the Canucks this round!

I'd thought I'd share this from the Vancouver paper, because I think it's hilarious.

[url="http://www.theprovince.com/pdf/canucks_playoffbingo/Canucks_playoffbingo1.pdf"]Canucks Bingo[/url]

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1756461' date='Apr 15 2009, 16.37']No love for Steve Bernier In B.C.? I liked him as a Shark.[/quote]

I'm a Nuck fan who likes Bernier. He hits, hits, hits, the odd fight and a few goals. Nice role player....

One hour till Canucks vs. Blues.... got the fridge stocked with beer, lasagne in the oven.... god bless playoff hockey. :cool:

[quote name='BlueRose' post='1756398' date='Apr 15 2009, 18.44']I'm glad to see so many of you picking the Canucks this round!

I'd thought I'd share this from the Vancouver paper, because I think it's hilarious.

[url="http://www.theprovince.com/pdf/canucks_playoffbingo/Canucks_playoffbingo1.pdf"]Canucks Bingo[/url][/quote]

I actually picked the Canucks to go to the finals this year in an online bracket...I like what they bring, and Luongo is no joke.

[quote name='S John' post='1756560' date='Apr 15 2009, 21.22']Christ, Theodore sucks. I don't think that Varlamov could be any worse. I say put the young buck in.[/quote]

Wow...really? You should probably worry more about the overrated defense in front of Theodore.

Though, I agree, Theodore sucks. He and Biron are sieves.

[quote name='arizonahotrock' post='1756596' date='Apr 15 2009, 18.53']I actually picked the Canucks to go to the finals this year in an online bracket...I like what they bring, and Luongo is no joke.[/quote]

LoB, I like Bernier. He was voted unsung hero in the team awards. But, he's already had his missed attempt for the night. About half the things on the bingo card have already happened in the first period.

I liked the end of the caps/rangers game, I was shocked by all the red in Washington. I bet many of those are Ovechkin jerseys!

[quote name='Faceless Man of Braavos' post='1755775' date='Apr 15 2009, 07.00']I tend to agree with most of the picks here... pretty good hockey knowledge on display, even from the Yanks.[/quote]
:dunce: Every team I picked to win, lost today. I sure hope that doesn't happen tomorrow. :uhoh: (I know it's only 1 game, but damn.)

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1756791' date='Apr 16 2009, 00.49']:dunce: Every team I picked to win, lost today. I sure hope that doesn't happen tomorrow. :uhoh: (I know it's only 1 game, but damn.)[/quote]

I was actually 4 for 4 today. Pretty pumped about that.

Archived