Casting: Young Robert

PatEllis15

Hey folks... I've been listening to Roy Dotrice read ASoIaF lately, and I am reminded once again by how much everyone seems to think that Renly is Robert come again...

Rather than putting Robert in a Fat suit, or having to use CGI to shrink Robert in any flashback scene's, I respecfully think that whomever the actor is that is chosen for Renly be used as Young Robert. Tweak the hair, and use some make up (and add a beard perhaps) to the Renly actor and your good to go....

Thoughts?

Pat E

Going the extreme reductionist route,huh? While we're at it, the guy who plays Jon Snow can play Robb, Jaime can play Cersei, the Red Viper can get whacked after two lines of dialogue, and in the end the whole series can have Sandor Clegane muttering cynically to himself.

I think it's a great idea! :thumbsup:

[quote name='El Chico' post='1620264' date='Dec 15 2008, 16.40']Going the extreme reductionist route,huh? While we're at it, the guy who plays Jon Snow can play Robb, Jaime can play Cersei, the Red Viper can get whacked after two lines of dialogue, and in the end the whole series can have Sandor Clegane muttering cynically to himself.

I think it's a great idea! :thumbsup:[/quote]
Uh, just who's going the "extreme" route here, eh? :)
[quote name='Smoldering Hound' post='1620533' date='Dec 15 2008, 20.33']Renly/young robert is an easy combination.

Now Renly/Robert, on the other hand....well, why not, they only have one scene that they are both in, and that can easily be edited.

Gendry, on the other hand, is in his early teens, so woud be inappropriate to be the same actor.[/quote]
Yup, Gendry is in his early-mid teens while Renly is supposed to be in his mid-late twenties (I think). Now, will Gendry have to be aged up just a couple of years? Maybe not but I think it's also a possibility because Arya possibly will be aged up a bit. I was just thinking that there would be precious little (so far - we don't know what else is in store for Gendry) to do for an actor playing just Renly or just Gendry or just young Robert. So if the same actor could play some combination of the three (who are all supposed to resemble each other anyway) it could result in more work, more actor interest, etc.

Actor = Renly + Young Robert, yeah that would be OK but I'm not totally sold on it. Isn't Renly supposed to be more svelt than Robert even when Robert was in the peak of his prime? :dunno: I think I still prefer fat Bob to be played by young Bob in a fat suit.

Actor = Renly + Gendry (+/- Young Robert) :thumbsdown:

You can't have too much familial resemblance between Gendry and the rest of the Baratheons, since Gendry is not generally known as being Bobspawn. If he looked like an even younger Renly, who looks exactly like young Bob, but without a beard, the connection would be too obvious and it would seem strange that word would not have got to Cersei much sooner than by the time we join the story.

Provided Gendry is a tall, strong, dark haired youth with roughly the right look the familial connection will be enough for the purposes of the story.

Archived