We officially have a new Prez

Jed o' Tarth

[quote name='Vendetto' post='1655980' date='Jan 20 2009, 17.24']The people flying it upside down are possible kkk members[/quote]

Um, why would they be? The KKK officially endorsed Obama in the elections...

I'll join you all in saying "Good Riddance" to Bush... :cheers:

As for him signing bills, I'm trying to remain optimistic... I really am... I'm trying to be hopeful that he will do a good job... I really am... I hope that he proves to be the best President we've had in the last 150 years... If he doesn't accomplish any of that though... Then... Above all else though, I'm just hoping that he won't Frack it up too bad and that the United States of America will survive the next 4 years...

[quote name='Solana Tarth' post='1655321' date='Jan 20 2009, 12.07']Obama just got sworn in! Hurrah![/quote]
:agree:

Good luck Obama, I hope you and your administration do well!

[quote name='Tempra' post='1655990' date='Jan 20 2009, 18.33']Perhaps we can create a google map of all people flying the flag upside down on 1/20/09 and send them threatening emails, vandalize their property, and do other douchebaggy things. Who's with me?

edit: meant google map, but a good map would work too.[/quote]

Or we could just boycott their businesses and hit them in the pocket books.

[quote name='the Blauer Dragon' post='1656061' date='Jan 20 2009, 17.50']Um, why would they be? The KKK officially endorsed Obama in the elections...[/quote]

Are you serious? Or were you being facetious?

If the former, check your sources. If the latter, you really ought to put a smiley and a link, so as to not spread misinformation.

[url="http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/kkk.asp"]Snopes on endorsement rumor[/url]
[url="http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/barackobama/a/ku_klux_klan.htm"]Urban Legends on endorsement rumor[/url]

And on the flag protest:

[url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1122402/KKK-calls-members-wear-black-armbands-fly-U-S-flag-upside-protest-Obama-inauguration.html"]Daily Mail[/url]

[url="http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Barack-Obama-Inauguration-Ku-Klux-Klan-Call-On-Members-To-Protest-Against-Election/Article/200901315206765?lpos=UK_News_Second_Home_Page_Article_Teaser_Region_5&lid=ARTICLE_15206765_Barack_Obama_Inauguration%3A_Ku_Klux_Klan_Call_On_Members_To_Protest_Against_Election"]Sky.com[/url]

[quote name='The White Wolf' post='1656075' date='Jan 20 2009, 19.00']Or we could just boycott their businesses and hit them in the pocket books.[/quote]

Hasn't everyone's pocket books been beaten up enough already? Besides that, you may want to try to revitalize your own a little bit... I have a feeling that it's about to get thrown into a cage fight with an angry Wolverine.

I don't know if the guy with the flag in my neighborhood is KKK or not. He did have a huge home made McCain/Palin sign in his lawn and just took down the gigantic creche that he's had in his front yard since Thanksgiving. I suspect he's just a consvervative, religious farmer. We've got a lot of those around here.

[quote name='Teri' post='1656077' date='Jan 20 2009, 19.01']Are you serious? Or were you [b]being facetious[/b]?[/quote]

Sorry... I see now that a Smiley would have been called for.

[quote name='Lady Whitestripe' post='1656082' date='Jan 20 2009, 19.04']I don't know if the guy with the flag in my neighborhood is KKK or not. He did have a huge home made McCain/Palin sign in his lawn and just took down the gigantic creche that he's had in his front yard since Thanksgiving. I suspect he's just a consvervative, religious farmer. We've got a lot of those around here.[/quote]

What about ANY of that would even begin to suggest that he is KKK (or a Farmer, for that matter?)? Sounds like a typical American to me... Flying the flag, showing support for his political candidate of choice, and using his blessed liberty to rampantly practice eccentricity on his own property.

[quote name='the Blauer Dragon' post='1656080' date='Jan 20 2009, 20.03']Hasn't everyone's pocket books been beaten up enough already? Besides that, you may want to try to revitalize your own a little bit... I have a feeling that it's about to get thrown into a cage fight with an angry Wolverine.[/quote]

Er... screw em. I won't support people who are against my inter-religious marriage to my wife. I won't support people who are against my sister's inter-racial marriage to her husband. I won't support people who are against my cousin's same-sex marriage to his husband. I don't think it's unreasonable on any accounts, you can believe what you want, but the minute you start denying others, I don't feel sorry for what happens.

As for my pocket book, I'm a teacher and my wife is a doctor... two of the most recession proof jobs there are. Heck there have been positions open near me for over a year if something happened to my job ;)

[quote name='The White Wolf' post='1656094' date='Jan 20 2009, 19.17']Er... screw em. I won't support people who are against my inter-religious marriage to my wife. I won't support people who are against my sister's inter-racial marriage to her husband. I won't support people who are against my cousin's same-sex marriage to his husband. I don't think it's unreasonable on any accounts, you can believe what you want, but the minute you start denying others, I don't feel sorry for what happens.

As for my pocket book, I'm a teacher and my wife is a doctor... two of the most recession proof jobs there are. Heck there have been positions open near me for over a year if something happened to my job ;)[/quote]

i'm hispanic and my fiancee is white.... a lot of people are opposed to it. on both sides of my family.

But I'm following in my dad's footsteps, as our situation was the same.

[quote name='Vendetto' post='1656100' date='Jan 20 2009, 20.20']i'm hispanic and my fiancee is white.... a lot of people are opposed to it. on both sides of my family.

But I'm following in my dad's footsteps, as our situation was the same.[/quote]

How are they opposing it? Specifically are they trying to pass laws in order to prevent it?

[quote name='The White Wolf' post='1656094' date='Jan 20 2009, 19.17']Er... screw em. I won't support people who are against my inter-religious marriage to my wife. I won't support people who are against my sister's inter-racial marriage to her husband. I won't support people who are against my cousin's same-sex marriage to his husband. I don't think it's unreasonable on any accounts, you can believe what you want, but the minute you start denying others, I don't feel sorry for what happens.

As for my pocket book, I'm a teacher and my wife is a doctor... two of the most recession proof jobs there are. Heck there have been positions open near me for over a year if something happened to my job ;)[/quote]

I never asked you to. Quite the contrary. If a business wants to take a stance on, or in any way attempt to influence politics... then that business should be prepared to lose the customers that they have alienated... and thus their competitor is made stronger.

As for the recession proofing. I know what you mean. I work at a University, in the College of Education. The worse the economy gets, the higher our new enrollment rates will be... In that sense, I think that what lies ahead for this country might actually be good for some of us...

[quote name='The White Wolf' post='1656112' date='Jan 20 2009, 19.30']How are they opposing it? Specifically are they trying to pass laws in order to prevent it?[/quote]

Well, use your common sense. How are they opposing it? Let's see, her white family is against hispanics because they belive all of us are beaners, and illegal immigrants.

My family believes in the age old saying 'VIVA LA RAZA' which means 'long live the race' because they think being hispanic is better than having children with mixed ethnicities. So basically theres a bit of racism on both sides of the board

[quote name='Vendetto' post='1656183' date='Jan 20 2009, 20.15']Well, use your common sense. How are they opposing it? Let's see, her white family is against hispanics because they belive all of us are beaners, and illegal immigrants.

My family believes in the age old saying 'VIVA LA RAZA' which means 'long live the race' because they think being hispanic is better than having children with mixed ethnicities. So basically theres a bit of racism on both sides of the board[/quote]

I grew up in a small town in south-east New Mexico with an extremely high Hispanic population. I can see where you're coming from on both sides of that argument (my cousins had hell with it, and their Dad was from Spain!)... Do you have any family members that are also into the whole Brown berets, and Aztlan thing too? Because that was pretty thick where I grew up... I'm just curious to see if it is as wide-spread as all that, or if it was just a local thing.

[quote name='Vendetto' post='1656183' date='Jan 20 2009, 21.15']Well, use your common sense. How are they opposing it? Let's see, her white family is against hispanics because they belive all of us are beaners, and illegal immigrants.

My family believes in the age old saying 'VIVA LA RAZA' which means 'long live the race' because they think being hispanic is better than having children with mixed ethnicities. So basically theres a bit of racism on both sides of the board[/quote]

So they are not legally attempting to force you not to get married. Let me ask you another question, would you still support members of your family financially if they were legally attempting to force you not to get married?

[quote name='Vendetto' post='1656183' date='Jan 21 2009, 11.15']My family believes in the age old saying 'VIVA LA RAZA' which means 'long live the race' because they think being hispanic is better than having children with mixed ethnicities. So basically theres a bit of racism on both sides of the board[/quote]

This seems kind of ridiculous.. isn't Hispanic mixed ethnicity to begin with...? (i.e. traces back to colonial/native mixing)

[quote name='the Blauer Dragon' post='1656213' date='Jan 20 2009, 20.28']I grew up in a small town in south-east New Mexico with an extremely high Hispanic population. I can see where you're coming from on both sides of that argument (my cousins had hell with it, and their Dad was from Spain!)... Do you have any family members that are also into the whole Brown berets, and Aztlan thing too? Because that was pretty thick where I grew up... I'm just curious to see if it is as wide-spread as all that, or if it was just a local thing.[/quote]

Oh god, Aztlan is awful. My cousin has it tattooed across his back. What town in new mexico? I live in Las Cruces, from Deming originally. but, before that I lived in Idaho, which is why I probably don't jump on the bandwagon.

tWW: Legal opposition hardly stops people from doing what they want. To me, people I grew up with and who raised me trying to oppose is irritating, but it's bearable.

Malatesta: Yes it is a mixed ethnicity, but still, a lot of hispanic/latino/chicano/mexican people feel that there is a superiority to their ethnic background than to other people.

[quote name='Vendetto' post='1656231' date='Jan 20 2009, 21.42']tWW: Legal opposition hardly stops people from doing what they want. To me, people I grew up with and who raised me trying to oppose is irritating, but it's bearable.[/quote]

But why should I give money to those doing, what you admit, is irritable? And remember, I was not talking about family here, which have deeper bonds, but acquaintances.

It looks like President Obama had a traumatic ballroom dancing experience in Junior High School. Same here -- it would take [url="http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/01/20/obama.inauguration/t1wide.obamas.dancing.03.cnn.jpg"]a Marine with a loaded rifle[/url] to get me on the floor....

Archived