We officially have a new Prez

Jed o' Tarth

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1655626' date='Jan 20 2009, 12.24']If you establish a siege mentality, you end all hope of cooperation. Republicans have a resource that Democrats do not have when it comes to forcing party unity. Conservative talk radio. If Rush, Hannity, et al. get on the backs of a candidate, he's doomed in that party.[/quote]
Guess what, the conspiracy theorists and conservative talk radio are already formulating how best to say that Obama isn't really president because of the Oath thing or that it proves he's a secret muslim/manchurian candidate. Iirc I think he said the oath correctly, and Roberts the doofus screwed it up. Obama definitely just stopped in the oath waiting for Roberts to get it right. :-P

And the resource of talk radio 'unity' is an important one. My dad constantly tries to tell me that no one would listen to liberal talk radio, and then I point out that it's a matter of advertising and organized boycotts/hate by businesses/conservative talk radio that prevents liberal talk radio from getting a foothold. Look how effectively the Dixie Chicks were banned from country radio nationwide within a week of their comment. They were not banned by listeners calling into the radio stations, the radio stations by and large shrugged that off. Nope the Dixie chicks were banned by listeners calling into the advertisers of the radio stations and threatening to boycott their products/services. The advertisers then called the radio station to drop their ad campaign or elicit a promise to not play the Dixie Chicks or they would drop their ad campaign. Since that's radios primary source of revenue it threatened to shut down country radio stations, so the Dixie Chicks were banned. Similar tactics can and have been used against liberal talk radio.

The poet was the only sour note. the poem is probably okay written or if read by a person without her odd speech impediment, but apparently she can't talk without enunciating and then pausing between every single word. it was just an utterly bizarre and pathetic reading, and a shame that it marred the rest of the ceremony, read by someone more competent it probably would have passed without much notice.

The Benedicition was amazing, possibly my favorite thing all day, and the quartet with John Williams music was wonderful, can I buy that performance on itunes yet? Warren's prayer was endless, but fairly bland and evangelical churchy, I'd tuned it out by reflex within a couple seconds. :-P the benediction though, was so much more heartfelt meaningful and just cool.

Obama just stepped out to walk, for a second I was seized with a momentary stab of fear, but once he started walking that passed. I'm sure there's a secret service man stationed in every room with a window in every building along the area he's going to be walking.

I liked his inaugural, wasn't blown away, but thought it was a solid piece of speechifying.

[quote name='S John' post='1655692' date='Jan 20 2009, 16.00']I could be wrong, but my understanding is that it would have been pretty difficult to get on the parade route. I don't think they were letting just anybody walk up there. Come to think of it though, I did not pass through any security of any kind. I even hopped a few barriers without getting yelled at, so who knows maybe you can just walk up.[/quote]

Well that does make me feel a little better about myself for being lazy and sleeping in. :P

Still, I did expect it to look more crowded along the parade route.

:cheers: Yeah! Si, se puede! I'm wound up and ready to drink!

I watched the inauguration in my community college's student center. Thought the speech was excellent; tough love, no double-speak. I was the only white guy that thought so, though: everyone except for me, a white girl and a trio of black women were sitting on their hands and acting sullen.

I actually didn't think Warren's prayer was so bad, considering the circumstances. I mean, hell, what do you expect? He's an Evangelical pastor. In all truth, I don't think we should be having religious invocations of any sort.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1655737' date='Jan 20 2009, 14.26']I was kinda surprised they let him and his wife get out and walk for a bit. I think Obama was trying to show a new non living in fear president, I do not think Bush would ever had gotten out and walked like that.[/quote]
Bush couldn't during his second inauguration, simply because everyone was throwing stuff at his vehicle. only president that couldn't walk to the white house.

[quote name='Vendetto' post='1655746' date='Jan 20 2009, 16.33']Bush couldn't during his second inauguration, simply because everyone was throwing stuff at his vehicle. only president that couldn't walk to the white house.[/quote]

Partially false.

[quote]Rolling slowly along the parade route from the Capitol to the White House in his armor-plated limousine, Mr. Bush was surrounded by a defensive phalanx of trucks, cars, a large bus and dozens of Secret Service agents. Unlike the leisurely strolls along the route by other presidents, Mr. Bush did not get out of the car until he reached the highly secure area near the White House, beyond the protesters.[/quote]

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/21/national/nationalspecial2/21inaug.html"]http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/21/national...l2/21inaug.html[/url]

Good times, good times. But it was truly hell getting out of the city and back to Montgomery County, every Metro station I got to was closed due to overcapacity or something. Eventually ended up way the hell out in the NE and found an open Metro Station. Those 2 hours sort of put a damper on my mood, but it was truly amazing to be a part of that crowd and witness this event in person.

I will say that, at least where I was, a lot of the crowd actually liked Warren's prayer. I heard an awful lot of 'amens' at various points during it. Personally I was far to psyched about everything to be too bothered by the religiousness.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1655737' date='Jan 20 2009, 16.26']I was kinda surprised they let him and his wife get out and walk for a bit. I think Obama was trying to show a new non living in fear president, I do not think Bush would ever had gotten out and walked like that.[/quote]
Two of my friends went to the 1st Bush Inauguration as protesters and they said the motorcade went REALLY fast. There was no real parade to speak of down the route, they just sped from the Capitol to the White House about as fast as they could manage.

Guest thebadlady
[quote name='Angie' post='1655666' date='Jan 20 2009, 14.44']Watching on tv now, the parade route doesn't seem nearly as crowded as I expected. I'm sort of wishing I'd gotten up early and tried to get in to see it.

Didn't notice if anyone had commented on Michelle Obama's dress earlier in the thread. I thought it was quite pretty. :)[/quote]

God, it was so much better than that ugly thing she wore that had that apron. I liked the gold dress. :)

The TV didn't want you to know that everyone hated Bush on the way to the White House, but the [url="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=protests+from+bush+inauguration&search_type=&aq=f"]you tube[/url] remembers.

[quote name='Vendetto' post='1655688' date='Jan 20 2009, 14.57']meh [b]we have more nuclear weapons than the rest of the world combined[/b]. and the rest of the world knows it. That's enough for me.[/quote]

Er... no. At least according to [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_with_nuclear_weapons"]Wiki [/url](Not the best source, true, but their primaries cited looked fairly solid) Russia by itself has more Nukes than the US.

[quote name='Lady Whitestripe' post='1655541' date='Jan 20 2009, 11.26']Some a$$hole in my neighborhood is flying their American flag upside down and at half-mast today.[/quote]
Well, by combining the two, he's doing them both wrong and looking like an idiot, if that's any consolation. He probably just hoisted it halfway up, too.

[quote name='The White Wolf' post='1655883' date='Jan 20 2009, 14.56']Er... no. At least according to [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_with_nuclear_weapons"]Wiki [/url](Not the best source, true, but their primaries cited looked fairly solid) Russia by itself has more Nukes than the US.[/quote]
I think they have to work to count.

Disagree as I do with the new President's politics, I cannot deny his superb bearing as an orator. Also superb was Pastor Rick Warren's "hypocritical nauseating religious mumbo-jumbo", to borrow a few phrases from upthread.

For today, at least...

[b]Hail to the Chief! [/b]

[quote name='Vendetto' post='1655980' date='Jan 20 2009, 19.24']The people flying it upside down are possible kkk members[/quote]

Perhaps we can create a google map of all people flying the flag upside down on 1/20/09 and send them threatening emails, vandalize their property, and do other douchebaggy things. Who's with me?

edit: meant google map, but a good map would work too.

[quote name='Tempra' post='1655990' date='Jan 20 2009, 18.33']Perhaps we can create a good map of all people flying the flag upside down on 1/20/09 and send them threatening emails, vandalize their property, and do other douchebaggy things. Who's with me?[/quote]

Me. I'll take the Former Confederate States; Tempra, you take the rest. Believe me, my part's going to outweigh the rest. Brownshirts for Tolerance, Go!

[quote name='El Chico' post='1655994' date='Jan 20 2009, 17.38']Me. I'll take the Former Confederate States; Tempra, you take the rest. Believe me, my part's going to outweigh the rest. Brownshirts for Tolerance, Go![/quote]

I remember reading a story about the "Imperial dragon' of the kkk ordering his members to fly the flag upside down today....

I honestly think that groups like THAT should be stamped out. It's a national security issue ^_^

Archived